Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers SB: 56, AS 24.1, JA 19 pg 54

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Dialogue is not exactly an arbiter of whether a movie will be a hit... I mean, jeez, look at stuff like TRANSFORMERS. WB rolled the dice because the Wachowskis have delivered big-time before (especially THE MATRIX, which probably confused a great deal of people when it was in concept/pre-production stage). Here was an opportunity to see if another franchise could get jumpstarted. In terms of weirdness, I'm guessing nothing in JA is weirder than, say, 10-foot tall blue cat aliens (AVATAR), or talking raccoons (GOTG), to name but two recent hits.

So... they went for it. And they failed.

Transformers is based off of a popular cartoon and toy chain and Michael Bay, as much as I don't like to say it, is liked a lot by GA.  Avatar had a very simple story that everyone could follow(unlike the convoluted trainwreck JA's is apparently), incredible visuals and turned 3D into a "serious" format even if that was only temporary.  GOTG?  Well, the Marvel brand is pretty much invincible now, nobody expected GOTG to break out as much as it did but I don't think anyone expected it to outright bomb either. 

The Matrix was a miracle hit/phenomenon, I'll give you that.

Transformers is based off of a popular cartoon and toy chain and Michael Bay, as much as I don't like to say it, is liked a lot by GA. Avatar had a very simple story that everyone could follow(unlike the convoluted trainwreck JA's is apparently), incredible visuals and turned 3D into a "serious" format even if that was only temporary. GOTG? Well, the Marvel brand is pretty much invincible now, nobody expected GOTG to break out as much as it did but I don't think anyone expected it to outright bomb either.

JA story wasnt hard to follow. That shit was basic ass hell. It was fed to you. Maybe it was executed wrong for them but it wasn't hard plot. Edited by Dragon
  • Like 2

JA story wasnt hard to follow. That shut was basic ass hell. It was fed to you. Maybe it was executed wrong for them but it wasn't hard plot.

Exactly. That's why I suggest that people watch it first and judge for themselves.

• Like 2

Transformers is based off of a popular cartoon and toy chain and Michael Bay, as much as I don't like to say it, is liked a lot by GA.  Avatar had a very simple story that everyone could follow(unlike the convoluted trainwreck JA's is apparently), incredible visuals and turned 3D into a "serious" format even if that was only temporary.  GOTG?  Well, the Marvel brand is pretty much invincible now, nobody expected GOTG to break out as much as it did but I don't think anyone expected it to outright bomb either. 

But you're looking at it in terms of the end result. What they were going off was "an awesome space opera by the guys who made THE MATRIX for you." Concept art. A few big ideas (in theory, at least). Hot up-and-coming actors in it.