The Stingray

The Neon Demon | June 24 | Nicolas Winding Refn (director), Elle Fanning, Christina Hendricks, Keanu Reeves

25 minutes ago, ky02121 said:

I can't wait to see the Cinemascore for this movie. People walked out of my screening. :lol:

Interesting you say that. There's a reviewer who refuses to name the movie at the time but he's giving it zero stars. People are guessing between this film, The Shallows or Mike and Dave. Damn movies are just getting shredded. 

Some crazy spoilers on why people walked out. 

Spoiler

This film has necrophilia, pedophilia, anorexia, cannibalism, and the psycho lesbian trope. Every time someone walked out we laughed. Some scenes will be etched into my memory for a long time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ky02121 said:

Hide contents

This film has necrophilia, pedophilia, anorexia, cannibalism, and the psycho lesbian trope. Every time someone walked out we laughed. Some scenes will be etched into my memory for a long time. 

:huh::wtf::unsure:

Not my kind of movie, nope.

• Like 1

Only God Forgives is probably one of the dumbest/worst movies I've ever seen, I'm amazed I even finished it.

Reveal hidden contents

This sounds like one of the best comedies ever.  Keep up the good work Refn

Reveal hidden contents

Y'know, I kinda had interest beforehand...now not so much. :sick:

This movie isn't even remotely as disgusting as people make it out to be. And, honestly, that's a big part of my problem with it. Doesn't go far enough.The colors, framing, etc. are far too lavish and meticulous to feel remotely real enough to upset. It's kind of blessing and a curse here. The music complements the composition of each frame very well. He's a fucking beast with setting a tone with images. Refn's a lot like Kubrick, Wong Kar-Wai, Park Chan-wook, Lynch, Mann, etc... Just lingers longer than them. Well, maybe not longer than Wong Kar-Wai. But, this movie explodes in the in last 30 minutes. It's the best 30 minutes Refn's put on screen for me. The rest of it... Just a little, or even a lot, too enamored with itself. But, it's certainly worth a view. B-.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 7:40 AM, Otakusai said:

More trash from this director. 

Don't waste your money on this utter non-sense.  

Trust me.

This is basically a highly stylized Rob Zombie movie.

That sounds pretty cool to me......I'm on my way to see it this afternoon.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I expect you to hate it. I hope I'm wrong though.

I don't think you can pigeon-hole me.  I like all kinds of movies.  I liked Drive, I thought OGF was all right but a bit esoteric and if this is really some kind of Rob Zombie film on ecstacy, then it sounds like it's my kind of movie.

39 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I don't think you can pigeon-hole me.  I like all kinds of movies.  I liked Drive, I thought OGF was all right but a bit esoteric and if this is really some kind of Rob Zombie film on ecstacy, then it sounds like it's my kind of movie.

I would never pigeon hole you. I think you'll love it in spurts but mostly hate it.

It's nothing like Rob Zombie movie. It's more like a Wong Kar-Wai movie by way of David Lynch. I think long stretches will bore you.

What Maps To The Stars was to Cronenberg, Death Becomes Her to Zemeckis, Mulholland Dr. to Lynch, The Player to Altman, Sunset Blvd. to Wilder and so on and so forth. That's what this is to Refn. I just didn't like as much any of the ones I mentioned.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I would never pigeon hole you. I think you'll love it in spurts but mostly hate it.

It's nothing like Rob Zombie movie. It's more like a Wong Kar-Wai movie by way of David Lynch. I think long stretches will bore you.

I got a bit bored during the middle section.

I am stunned at how immersed I was in this film.  I've never seen anything like it and I have no idea how they were fortunate enough to get Fanning to do this film.  Everything about it is almost ridiculous but it never quite gets there.  It has a lot of really sublime quotes and observations and yet because the film is so cynical and downright nutty in some parts, you might miss what the film has to say.  Besides the brilliant acting from Fanning and the wacky script and brilliant direction from Refn, the real star of this film is the DP, Natasha Braier.  She makes you feel like you are going on the hourney with these people and you get completely immersed into this crazy, paranoid, jealous, hazy world that we have before us.

This is a harrowing, fun, completely mesmerizing film that doesn't hammer you with a blunt object but rather pokes at you with pins to get get its point across.  I absolutely loved it.

9.5/10  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Baumer said:

I am stunned at how immersed I was in this film.  I've never seen anything like it and I have no idea how they were fortunate enough to get Fanning to do this film.  Everything about it is almost ridiculous but it never quite gets there.  It has a lot of really sublime quotes and observations and yet because the film is so cynical and downright nutty in some parts, you might miss what the film has to say.  Besides the brilliant acting from Fanning and the wacky script and brilliant direction from Refn, the real star of this film is the DP, Natasha Braier.  She makes you feel like you are going on the hourney with these people and you get completely immersed into this crazy, paranoid, jealous, hazy world that we have before us.

This is a harrowing, fun, completely mesmerizing film that doesn't hammer you with a blunt object but rather pokes at you with pins to get get its point across.  I absolutely loved it.

9.5/10  

You've sold me. Gonna look for it this weekend when/if I watch Swiss Army Man.

• Like 1