Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

Hasta la vista baby !

Get away from her you bitch !

I ll never let go, I promise ...

Chill Out. Dickwad.

No, have you?

Draw me like one of your French girls.

2oxLlYN.jpg?1

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 4

clap.gif

Well said friend.

Crystal Skull was not as good as the originals and I still saw it 6X in the theater and own the DVD.  Indiana Jones is awesome whether it's in 1981 or 2009.

Both Crystal Skull and SW prequels are over-hated on the inernet.

• Like 3

Proud to say I am not one of the haters for any of those 4 films. 

• Like 1

13. The Right Stuff (1983)

Based on Tom Wolfe's huge bestseller, writer/director Phil Kaufman tells the story of the beginning of the American space program and the transition of pilot glory (those who have "the right stuff") from test pilot to astronaut. This is another epic that's both sprawling and intimate, anchored by the amazing performances of Sam Shepard, Dennis Quaid, Fred Ward, Scott Glenn, and especially Ed Harris as John Glenn. Funny, beautiful, dramatic, and glorious, and more than a bit melancholic and ironic, this is one of the greatest American films ever made.

(Heads up for Nolanites: INTERSTELLAR's scale-model and in-camera VFX are inspired in part by this film.)

• Like 8

Another Rob Bottin fan....and I thought I was the only one. The man is brilliant. Same with Rick Baker and Tom Savini.

I know and I am an admirer of all of these legends, Rick Baker has so many Oscars it s not even funny. Tom Savini is THE master of zombie make up, Walking Dead and all the zombies films he s made.

Rob Bottin s work on the Thing, 33 years later is still unmatched.

I d add two names to this list : Dick Smith who is the grand daddy of them all, he actually wrote a make up bible that every Hollywood make up artist has read and applied.

And lastly, Stan Winston, one of Cameron s biggest collaborator. His resume is staggering, so many iconic creatures : the terminator, the alien Queen, Predator, the T Rex giant torso in JP and many many more.

His last creation before his tragic death was the Iron Man armor. His heritage lives on through Legacy effects which is composed of Winston s disciples. They do all armors and robots in Hollywood.

Edited by A Grey Future
  • Like 3

I don't mind The Star Wars prequels and I happen to like Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skulls, just fine myself.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

12. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

The sequel to STAR WARS does what every sequel should do: expand the universe in new and interesting ways, broaden our understanding of the characters we already know, introduce new and compelling characters, and push our heroes to new, harder complications and adventures. There were a few who complained that there wasn't any nuance in the original STAR WARS, but that's covered here, and in spades: every character is given new facets, and the result is rich, compelling, and (as always) fun. ILM and John Williams outdo themselves in the best Star Wars movie ever made.

• Like 16

21. The Thing (1982)

A John Carpenter masterpiece of paranoia, suspense, and terror. A small group of men at an Antarctic science station discover something frozen in a block of ice. What they discover -- all too late -- is this entity is an alien lifeform in deep hibernation, and it has the power to biologically and physically imitate any other lifeform it comes into contact with. Rob Bottin's physical prosthetics stand the test of time and are truly hideous and inventive sights to behold, and the movie is deeply, deeply unsettling (in the most entertaining sense of that word).

I just rewatched this a few months ago. Still held up. Just a flat out great film. Carpenter was really one of the greats

• Like 2

11. Die Hard (1988)

The first half of the 80s tended to be dominated by huge, dominant, unstoppable heroes who were testosterone-fueled machismo personified: Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone at the top of the list. By the late 80s, a trend was beginning, towards a more humanized, more recognizably "normal" hero. Sure, they might still be equally great at fighting or action, but they suffered like every person does. In LETHAL WEAPON, Mel Gibson played a cop essentially struggling with PTSD and depression. And here, in DIE HARD, Bruce Willis' cop is as normal as all of us: he bitches, he bleeds, he freaks out when attacked. He is Everyman struggling against unstoppable forces, and that made him incredibly endearing. This is John McTernan's second film in his trilogy of best-action-films-ever (following PREDATOR), and he does such a brilliant job that the movie single-handedly invented an entire sub-genre of action movie: "DIE HARD on a ..... (fill in the blank)."

• Like 11

12. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

The sequel to STAR WARS does what every sequel should do: expand the universe in new and interesting ways, broaden our understanding of the characters we already know, introduce new and compelling characters, and push our heroes to new, harder complications and adventures. There were a few who complained that there wasn't any nuance in the original STAR WARS, but that's covered here, and in spades: every character is given new facets, and the result is rich, compelling, and (as always) fun. ILM and John Williams outdo themselves in the best Star Wars movie ever made.

tumblr_m8tj501GJt1r98lguo2_r1_250.gif

Nice #12!

• Like 1

I know and I am an admirer of all of these legends, Rick Baker has so many Oscars it s not even funny. Tom Savini is THE master of zombie make up, Walking Dead and all the zombies films he s made.

Rob Bottin s work on the Thing, 33 years later is still unmatched.

I d add two names to this list : Dick Smith who is the grand daddy of them all, he actually wrote a make up bible that every Hollywood make up artist has read and applied.

And lastly, Stan Winston, one of Cameron s biggest collaborator. His resume is staggering, so many iconic creatures : the terminator, the alien Queen, Predator, the T Rex giant torso in JP and many many more.

His last creation before his tragic death was the Iron Man armor. His heritage lives on through Legacy effects which is composed of Winston s disciples. They do all armors and robots in Hollywood.

My favourite work of Bottin's is the Howling.  I know Baker was the lead on that one but I read that Bottin did just as much of the practical wolf transformation stuff.  Those two, along with the ones you mentioned, are the legends in the business.  It's good to see someone else mention those names.