Dementeleus

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

6. Chariots of Fire (1981)

The little movie that could. Derided among fanboys because it beat RAIDERS for Best Picture, it's still an absolutely wonderful and inspiring film about passion, dedication and faith. Based on real life events, it's about two men who were sprinters for England in the 1924 Olympics. Both of them were deeply religious and anti-establishment men: one was Jewish, the other, deeply devout Christian. And because of their faith, both men ran afoul of the English sporting community. But at the end of the day, their faith carried them through to the end.

• Like 3

A quote from Bob Shaye is that Lord of the Rings doesn't exist without Freddy Krueger. The success of the Nightmare on Elm Street series is what funded the LOTR films.

Absolutely true. PJ met Bob Shaye and Mark Ordesky working on a script for NOES6 (which was ultimately rejected).

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

I keep on meaning to watch Chariots of Fire, it sounds completely like my kind of movie. I really need to watch it. as well as Ben-Hur...

and Lawrence of Arabia.. my family has owned it for years and I haven't seen it.   :ph34r:

• Like 1

Here's a batch of almosts that didn't quite make the cut, in no particular order:

The Killer (1989)

Point Break (1991)

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

The General (1926)

The Rock (1996)

Sorcerer (1977)

Gladiator (2000)

Forbidden Planet (1956)

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Beat the Devil (1953)

Repo Man (1984)

Coming to America (1988)

Scanners (1981)

48 Hrs. (1982)

So let me get this straight, Armageddon over this?

#epicfails
  • Like 2

The rope bridge scene in Sorcerer Temple of Doom is the definition of ownage. It shits all over 99% of today's CGI set-pieces. 

FTFY.

• Like 1

It's really astonishing how many movies we now consider classics - lile the aforementioned "Sorcerer", or Carpenter's "The Thing" or "Big Trouble in Little China" - flopped upon theatrical release.

No doubt. Blade Runner and many others too. That's why it always makes me smirk when some young film fanatic says people just don't like good movies any longer. I mean, same as it ever was... Sometimes, great movies are overlooked. A fantastic case in point being the film Peeping Tom.

• Like 1

I thought u were talking Harry Potter

Whos in Scorcerer?

Roy Scheider is the lead (and is great). He plays one of four guys who volunteer to drive two trucks filled with dynamite through the South American jungle. The movie was released a month after Star Wars and tanked horribly, almost killing William Friedkin's career in the process, but it's always had a cult and since coming out on Blu-ray last year it's been pretty much accepted as either a great film or a flawed film with a handful of great moments. 

• Like 4