Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

I never understood why Fellowship of The Ring is loved more than the other 2 LOTR movies. I thought Return Of The King was the best.

Probably because it's the first movie. I think all of the 3 are equally good. Well, they ain't really three movies they are just one big long movie cut into 3.

• Like 1

Top 5 coming up as soon as I get to work.

Any guesses?

I think Terminator 2, Dumb and Dumber, and Lawrence of Arabia will all show up. Not sure what else. I could be wrong on my guesses though. :lol:
  • Like 1

I never understood why Fellowship of The Ring is loved more than the other 2 LOTR movies. I thought Return Of The King was the best.

if I had to rank them, ROTK would be my favorite too. 

• Like 2

5. Casablanca (1942)

Such a timeless piece of entertainment. I honestly think that anyone can watch this and get at least some enjoyment from it, even if you hate old movies. At the very, very least, you'll pick up on some of the iconic lines and moments that literally hundreds of other movies have referenced. I think what gives it such long-lasting appeal is -- unlike many older movies -- it's not particularly syrupy or filled with characters always making the right decisions. It's delightfully cynical in many ways, yet ultimately uplifting (even though the ending wouldn't be considered your normal "happy ending", especially in terms of romantic movies.) The story is simple: It's Morocco, World War II. Technically French territory and formerly a escape route for refugees fleeing war-torn Europe, but since the Nazis now rule France through the puppet Vichy government, it's no longer safe. Rick (Humphrey Bogart) runs a nightclub for anyone and everyone -- he's on no particular side other than his own. And then, unexpectedly, his former lover arrives with her husband... and Rick's life gets very, very complicated in a hurry.

• Like 6

5. Casablanca (1942)

Such a timeless piece of entertainment. I honestly think that anyone can watch this and get at least some enjoyment from it, even if you hate old movies. At the very, very least, you'll pick up on some of the iconic lines and moments that literally hundreds of other movies have referenced. I think what gives it such long-lasting appeal is -- unlike many older movies -- it's not particularly syrupy or filled with characters always making the right decisions. It's delightfully cynical in many ways, yet ultimately uplifting (even though the ending wouldn't be considered your normal "happy ending", especially in terms of romantic movies.) The story is simple: It's Morocco, World War II. Technically French territory and formerly a escape route for refugees fleeing war-torn Europe, but since the Nazis now rule France through the puppet Vichy government, it's no longer safe. Rick (Humphrey Bogart) runs a nightclub for anyone and everyone -- he's on no particular side other than his own. And then, unexpectedly, his former lover arrives with her husband... and Rick's life gets very, very complicated in a hurry.

One of the few movies from pre 1960 that I not only like, but pretty much am very close to loving.

• Like 1

btw Tele, you have all 3 Lord of the Rings and all OT Star Wars movies on your list, + at least 1 animation so it is better than Baumer's by default. (sorry bro) congrats Tele, welcome to my inner circle. 

circle-of-life-o.gif

• Like 3

IMHO, the reason FOTR is head and shoulders above the other two is that it is our first introduction to the middle earth and that is romantic.  It also has imo, the best and most emotional battle of all the films.  While Helms Deep is fantastic, it isn't as intimate as the Orc battle and Boromir's death....in fact, there is no better scene in the trilogy than that one.  A very very close second is "My friends you bow to no one."  But I might be the wrong guy to ask.  I think FOTR is a 10/10 while TTT is an 8.5 and ROTK is an 8 (up from 6.5 and 6 from last year....yes they have grown on me).

• Like 3

btw Tele, you have all 3 Lord of the Rings and all OT Star Wars movies on your list, + at least 1 animation so it is better than Baumer's by default. (sorry bro) congrats Tele, welcome to my inner circle. 

circle-of-life-o.gif

But we have different criteria for our lists.  My list is every film that I have given at least a 10/10 to....these are comfort food films for Tele.  

• Like 2

4. Aliens (1986)

Pretty much the perfect action film, and one I wish a few more big-budget movies would emulate today. Cameron was making a sequel to one of the most famous and influential genre movies of all time, and does several things completely right: first, he doesn't try to remake the first film and simply put Ripley in another ship that happens to have an alien (or even aliens) on it. Secondly, he takes the time to really establish the characters well -- not only fleshing out Ripley's character to a far greater extent than the first film did, but also the new characters that'll be front-and-center in this story. Thirdly, he's able to do this extremely efficiently -- a line or two of dialogue is enough to vividly establish many of the supporting characters and distinguish them from each other, even though several of them are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. (As an exercise, just think how many of the colonial marines you can name, even though most are essentially glorified red-shirts in the greater context of the overall story). Fourth, Cameron expertly ratchets up the tension and suspense so that by the time the action begins, we're primed and anxious and ready for it. And lastly, he controls the movie's pacing perfectly, sustaining action scenes, then allowing an ebb and flow, everything flowing from one piece to the next in a completely logical and understandable way. By the time they fight their way out of the station and are about to escape, only for Ripley to realize that she has to go back in and face her ultimate nightmare to save the one thing she cares about, we're right there with her. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSQmYUaIyE

• Like 11

Probably because it's the first movie. I think all of the 3 are equally good. Well, they ain't really three movies they are just one big long movie cut into 3.

Don t understand why people divide these movies. Tolkien's book was supposed to be one big fat motherfucker.

The "trilogy" was shot at once except for some additionnal scenes and pick ups.

It s just a ten hour movie.

It s like saying you liked the last act of Interstellar but found the first act boring.