Olive

Weekend 3/13-15 Official Estimates: Cinderella 70.1m, RAN 11m

Your point about audience demos will be interesting to see play out. With a 66% female audience, that is the highest skew outside of franchises like Twilight and 50 Shades, even Frozen only had a 55% female audience. Will be interesting to see if the good reviews and audience feedback helps it expand the demo considerably.

I don't think it will expand too much. This is a very well done "girly" movie.  I don't think there's much here to attract young men unless there's a huge interest in the art of filmmaking. I could be wrong. But I will say that it is a movie that I personally can watch again in the theater. So with the demo it has, the legs should at least be decent.

Edited by Ecstasy
  • Like 2

When you look at it, these Disney adaptations are actually opening lower each time (Alice: 116

Oz: 79

Maleficent: 69

Cinderella: 67)

I mean, it was the 2D only that held Cinderella back, because otherwise it would have bucked the trend and hit closer to 75-76M. Also, I doubt Jungle Book or Beauty and the Beast will change this.

When you look at it, these Disney adaptations are actually opening lower each time (Alice: 116

I mean, it was the 2D only that held Cinderella back, because otherwise it would have bucked the trend and hit closer to 75-76M. Also, I doubt Jungle Book or Beauty and the Beast will change this.

I think Beauty and the Beast could defy the trend because A) Beauty and the Beast is more popular than, Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty, and B) spot on casting so far.

• Like 1

I think Beauty and the Beast could defy the trend because A) Beauty and the Beast is more popular than, Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty, and B) spot on casting so far.

Beauty and the Beast may open above Jungle Book: I see JB opening to 55M and Beauty opening to 60-63M (but its still super early to tell obviously). But there's nothing so far to indicate either of them will open to 70+

I guess there's also nothing saying they won't but...

As far as Disney's renascence goes BatB is up there with the Lion King as far as being recognized today.

You're definitely right, but I would have thought Cinderella is up there, yet it opened with close to the sale attendance as Maleficent, which while still immensely popular, isn't the "figurehead" that Cinderella is.

Unless Jungle Book ends up looking amazing, I'm pretty sure it will open in the $50's. Beauty and the Beast has potential to be huge though!

• Like 3

You're definitely right, but I would have thought Cinderella is up there, yet it opened with close to the sale attendance as Maleficent, which while still immensely popular, isn't the "figurehead" that Cinderella is.

Cinderella's audience is mostly female. It's not gonna draw in the male viewership that any of those other films would. 

Plus this movie is only in 2D. Beauty and the Beast will have a more balanced audience.

• Like 2

It feels like advance ticket sales may actually have become more and more prevalent lately. The level of sales Cinderella and 50 Shades had so far this year (based on Fandango reports and Movietickets tracking) pointed to bigger openings than they ended up being. Maybe online sales are moving toward a 25% of overall sales from the 20-22% they were last year (based on an article in THR or The Wrap, can't remember)

It feels like advance ticket sales may actually have become more and more prevalent lately. The level of sales Cinderella and 50 Shades had so far this year (based on Fandango reports and Movietickets tracking) pointed to bigger openings than they ended up being. Maybe online sales are moving toward a 25% of overall sales from the 20-22% they were last year (based on an article in THR or The Wrap, can't remember)

I don't think Cinderella had that great advanced ticket sales. Nothing like 50 Shades of Grey.

I don't think Cinderella had that great advanced ticket sales. Nothing like 50 Shades of Grey.

It was outpacing Maleficent and Oz actually

“Cinderella” is outpacing last year’s “Maleficent” in advance ticket sales, according to Fandango, a sign another hit is taking shape for Walt Disney Co.’s movie studio.

The film, a live-action retelling of the animated Walt Disney classic from 1950, is scheduled for release on March 13. “Cinderella” is fetching a higher-than-average number of tickets per transaction, suggesting families are planning to go together, according to Fandango.

“Maleficent,” a take on the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale told from the point of view of the witch, made its debut on May 30 last year and generated $69.4 million in opening-weekend ticket sales. It went on to pull in more than $241 million in U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Box Office Mojo.

Advance purchases for “Cinderella” are also outpacing “Oz the Great and Powerful,” a 2013 revival from the studio, according to Fandango.

It was outpacing Maleficent and Oz actually

But that still doesn't tell us how great the ticket sales were without telling us anything about the ticket sales of the other movies. Sure its outpacing them but what if those advance ticket sales were medicocre?  Fandango is telling us nothing really.

Maleficent starred one of the most famous people in the world.

Yes of course. I just never thought the Jolie name was as big as the Cinderella brand.

Umm you raise a good point. But Cinderella still appeals mostly to women. Not that many fellas are checking for the Cinderella brand, lol.