Grade Dead Poets Society  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Dead Poets Society

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A great little film with heartfelt performances from every single member of the cast. I think everyone will be able to relate to something in the film, whether it's following your dreams despite your parents wishes, or just enjoying the intimate moments with your close friends.

A

Another one of those movies everyone loves so much but I didn't care for. I just found it very average, bland and kinda boring. 

None of the characters were interesting, and I didn't care what happened to them. I did appreciate the celebration of literature and language, but overall its not all that imo

2,5/5

VERY over dramatic. I don't think any normal person would react to a family member dying with that melodramatic BS.

Agreed, although the leadup to the kid offing himself was pretty damn intense.  I couldn't watch this movie again for the longest time because of how unpleasant that was.  Hell of a movie otherwise though. 

Who knew Mork could act?

A-

• Like 1

weir seems to have this distinctive style of blandness that is lightly applied to his films. not sure what it is. might be his thematic toothlessness that was apparent in truman show as well. but it's a nice enough tale of individuality, though rather ironically subverted by all that 'oh captain my captain' hero worship.

C+

Wow. Never have I had such a mixed reaction to a film. On the one hand, I loved seeing these boys grow together. I thought that just seeing a bunch of teenagers horsing around was really fun. I also liked how the movie showed their teacher taking interest in their work and their hopes and dreams. BUT I didn't feel like this movie really captured the gift of poetry and literature to move us. You had a lot of boys talking about how great poetry was, but you never actually felt that poetry was something that could change you, you just felt like poetry was something that could change these boys. I also did not like Weir's direction here. I didn't feel like it matched the tone that certain scenes were going for. For example, the scene when the boys sneak out for the first time is filmed in such a way where you fear the fact that they might get caught. This is nice and all, but the emotion you should be feeling is one of inspiration that they're finally going out, and I feel that Weir dropped the ball there.At the end of the day, I can't really tell whether or not I liked it. I'm leaning to "not bad, but not good either" as opposed to "good."2.5/4

Good stuff. Robert Sean performance and the ending makes up for any shortcomings that the movie might have had.

Peter Weir Marathon
The Way Back 90/100
The Truman Show 90/100
Gallipoli 85/100
Dead Poets Society 80/100
Picnic at Hanging Rock 75/100
Witness 75/100
The Mosquito Coast 70/100
The Year of Living Dangeoursly 65/100
Fearless 55/100
The Last Wave 45/100