kayumanggi

BABY DRIVER | Sony | From Director Edgar Wright | On Digital HD 9/12, DVD and Blu-Ray 10/10

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Or it could very well go the way of The Nice Guys (which few could be bothered to see but was celebrated by those few who saw it). Really hoping I'm wrong, though.

This is way more audience friendly than the Nice Guys. I liked the Nice Guys a lot but this is the type of movie that's made for summer. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I wonder what the song licensing budget was for this. Had to be absolutely massive. There has to be 40+ songs in this.

It had a good budget, expect to see a 40m to 50m budget number for this (it was planned for 55m gross, 46m net after a Michigan tax credit), so it could be a lot there is room.

I would imagine the artist and the type of project can influence how much it cost and quantity can be misleading (sometime bands give the rights for free if they love the scene and get residual from the soundtrack I think, Louis CK said it happened to him when he used a complete long Led Zeppelin song in is tv series, they did let him use it for free).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

It had a good budget, expect to see a 40m to 50m budget number for this (it was planned for 55m gross, 46m net after a Michigan tax credit), so it could be a lot there is room.

I would imagine the artist and the type of project can influence how much it cost and quantity can be misleading (sometime bands give the rights for free if they love the scene and get residual from the soundtrack I think, Louis CK said it happened to him when he used a complete long Led Zeppelin song in is tv series, they did let him use it for free).

Well, for that budget, it's honestly fantastic what they were able to do, feels a lot bigger than that.

Honestly this is the type of film that if it doesn't succeed commercially, I don't want to hear the words "Hollywood isn't even trying anymore. It's just franchise after franchise," ever again. Here is yet another original film that completely hits it out of the ball park from a film making standpoint....like Edgar wright is a fucking genius. And this film is one that the GA can eat up. 

The last time I had this much fun at a theater was watching Deadpool. I absolutely loved every single minute of Baby Driver and it deserves all the damn money....and if it doesn't make all the damn money then no one better bitch and complain about Hollywood not being original or not making good original films. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Honestly this is the type of film that if it doesn't succeed commercially, I don't want to hear the words "Hollywood isn't even trying anymore. It's just franchise after franchise," ever again. Here is yet another original film that completely hits it out of the ball park from a film making standpoint....like Edgar wright is a fucking genius. And this film is one that the GA can eat up. 

The last time I had this much fun at a theater was watching Deadpool. I absolutely loved every single minute of Baby Driver and it deserves all the damn money....and if it doesn't make all the damn money then no one better bitch and complain about Hollywood not being original or not making good original films. 

I feel this way about most original or at least different films.  I want shit like this to make 300M+ and be the one to inspire a decade worth of new material from Hollywood.  All it needs is one driving force, one original 250M+, 300M+ grosser that is original or unique and inspires a whole different upcoming film slate.  It can be this, Valerian, Atomic Blonde, Blade Runner...I don't care.  Just something that audiences haven't been exposed to enough as much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I feel this way about most original or at least different films.  I want shit like this to make 300M+ and be the one to inspire a decade worth of new material from Hollywood.  All it needs is one driving force, one original 250M+, 300M+ grosser that is original or unique and inspires a whole different upcoming film slate.  It can be this, Valerian, Atomic Blonde, Blade Runner...I don't care.  Just something that audiences haven't been exposed to enough as much.

Ten to fifteen years ago, a film like this would have grossed $300M+ no problem. It's the type of original film that audiences would have eaten up and should eat up even today. I get that now a days franchises and reboots might be where all the money is for studios BUT films like this do exist and if the GA wants more original films then stop being a cheapo and go out to support films like this one. That's how more of these kind of films get made. 

• Like 5

I think a run like this could happen:

Jun 28: 20M (5 day) (10M weekdays, 30M Total)

Jul 7: 12M (7M weekdays, 49M Total)

Jul 14: 7.8M (4.5M weekdays, 61.3M Total)

Jul 21: 5.1M (3M weekdays, 69.4M Total)

Jul 28: 3.6M (2.1M weekdays, 75.1M Total)

Aug 4: 2.3M (1.4M weekdays, 78.8M Total)

Aug 11: 1.6M (1M weekdays, 81.4M Total)

Aug 18: 1M (600k weekdays, 83M Total)

Final Total: 86M (4.3x from 5 day)

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think a run like this could happen:

Jun 28: 20M (5 day) (10M weekdays, 30M Total)

Jul 7: 12M (7M weekdays, 49M Total)

Jul 14: 7.8M (4.5M weekdays, 61.3M Total)

Jul 21: 5.1M (3M weekdays, 69.4M Total)

Jul 28: 3.6M (2.1M weekdays, 75.1M Total)

Aug 4: 2.3M (1.4M weekdays, 78.8M Total)

Aug 11: 1.6M (1M weekdays, 81.4M Total)

Aug 18: 1M (600k weekdays, 83M Total)

Final Total: 86M (4.3x from 5 day)

Bump it down to 85M. My summer game needs 5000 more points.

Like Pink said earlier, the marketing hasn't been overwhelming and abundant, but when it shows up, it's in programs with high viewership. Tonight's Fargo finale had two airings of the same spot, and I've pverheard ads air on the Discovery Channel in prime time when my dad watches it. Sony is targeting the right demos with marketing, and it'll extend into other demos as well.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Like Pink said earlier, the marketing hasn't been overwhelming and abundant, but when it shows up, it's in programs with high viewership. Tonight's Fargo finale had two airings of the same spot, and I've pverheard ads air on the Discovery Channel in prime time when my dad watches it. Sony is targeting the right demos with marketing, and it'll extend into other demos as well.

I mentioned this movie at work yesterday and I got a bunch of "OMG I want to see it! It looks so good," responses. The only problem with statements like this is that do they want to see it in theaters, pirate it (which is an unfortunate part of the industry today) or wait for it to come out on home video. 

Also my girl friend was with me tonight and she absolutely loved it. She wants to go see it again when it officially comes out lol 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

It already sold 2 tickets at my local Cinemark 7 PM showing on Tuesday!

...purchased by me.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

Spoiler

So I just wanna say the use of Hocus Pocus (Song) during the climax was probably my favorite bit of the movie. Especially when Buddy and Monica showed up again and they started firing the cops. A wonderful sync between the music and action

I figure 90% of the audience is gonna really enjoy the movie, and 10% is gonna be absolutely turned off. Wouldn't be surprised by a B+ Cinemascore for example because of that kind of thing

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

mj-laughing.gif

• Like 4