kayumanggi

BABY DRIVER | Sony | From Director Edgar Wright | On Digital HD 9/12, DVD and Blu-Ray 10/10

I thought it was a fun, energetic movie, excellent action scenes, the performances were uniformly great and it has a fabulous soundtrack. So I did really enjoy it but I would agree that the female characters were underwritten. The male characters were given lots of opportunity to shine, the actresses less so. 

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

I still have a feeling that this is going to make around $50m dom.

And that would be Wright biggest domestic success, this movie high concept make it easier to sell than the previous one, so I also predict it to be is biggest box office ever, 40 to 60m sound the most probable range

Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Release
1 Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Uni. $35,053,400 $31,524,275 8/13/10
2 Hot Fuzz Rog. $30,371,100 $23,637,265 4/20/07
3 The World's End Focus $29,287,200 $26,004,851 8/23/13
4 Shaun of the Dead Rog. $19,278,400 $13,542,874 9/24/04

Are the characters in Baby Driver lovable ?

That s the biggest issue with Wright brand of filmmaking IMO.

Since Ensel Egort and Miles Teller have way too much in common, I am wondering ...

Edited by The Futurist

Baby Driver is definitely being underpredicted by most users, which is understandable considering it's from the creator of Scott Pilgrim and Shaun of the Dead (the former a flop, the latter a modest hit). However, be prepared to be surprised on Thursday morning with a $5M+ OD unless audiences completely hate the movie (ala Drive, which earned a C- in CinemaScore despite strong reviews).

I don't care if any of you disagree. You are all entitled to your opinion just like I am. 

@YourMother has even reported that based on his theater that it is tracking better than Baywatch. Also, @WrathOfHan has saw more traction for BD on Pulse than he expected. @filmlover predicted that The Nice Guys (a critically-acclaimed film from last year targeting the same audience as BD) would flop is now predicting success for it.

Also, it's actually in the top 10 for Twitter Activity while The House (an R-rated Comedy with two more recognizable stars, Will Ferrell and Amy Poheler) is doing terrible on social media buzz. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BenedictL11 said:

However, be prepared to be surprised on Thursday morning with a $5M+ OD unless audiences completely hate the movie

Not sure how the opening day can be influenced by what the audience think of the movie, they have not seen it yet. I know it get faster and now audience opinion affect even the first weekend, but opening day ?

Just now, Barnack said:

Not sure how the opening day can be influenced by what the audience think of the movie, they have not seen it yet. I know it get faster and now audience opinion affect even the first weekend, but opening day ?

It comes out this Wednesday.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I understood that from your message, my point is that for Opening day, audience hating or loving the movie cannot have an effect yet, no ?

It depends. For example, Wonder Woman didn't have a big Thursday compared to Suicide Squad and BvS but it was less frontloaded (in terms of its Thursday preview-Friday ratio) than both of them due to strong WOM).

Maybe it's just me getting excited but I'm feeling confident in it doing well. I'm sure audiences are getting sick of sequels especially this summer and want to see something original.