kayumanggi

BABY DRIVER | Sony | From Director Edgar Wright | On Digital HD 9/12, DVD and Blu-Ray 10/10

So here are my spoiler-free thoughts:

Wright doesn't go for comedy here as much as he does in his other films (but don't get me wrong, there's a LOT of good jokes in this), but the action sequences are so brilliantly crafted, so exhilarating, that I'd gladly put it up there with FURY ROAD, DRIVE (which is less similar to this movie than you think), and LOOPER as one of the best action movies of the decade, if not longer. And that's not even getting into the use of music. The brilliantly curated soundtrack fits brilliantly with every moment of the film, keeping near perfect rhythm with the action in each scene in more ways than one. 

Even on an emotional level the film works. Ansel Elgort is absolutely adept in the lead role, driven by his music while not being naive nor too one-note, and his interactions with various characters in the movie really provide a strong foundation for making his journey surprisingly poignant, especially his relationship with Debbie. I think more time could have been spent with the two together, but it's a relatively minor quibble.

Seriously, go see this. I can't wait to see it again and pick up on Wright's little details. 

• Like 12

Just got out of a screening for this. Goddamn this is a cool fucking movie.

I think it's easily the most accomplished film Edgar Wright has made to date. His style is on full display, but it also features moments of experimental filmmaking that I was shocked to see from him. Most notably, the film visually shows how our mind operates when we listen to music in our lives. This makes the car chases exciting and unique in a manner that blew me away. The characters themselves are all fantastically written and fun, even the ones that you hope get their comeuppance.

I'm still processing it, and I'm definitely going to catch another showing when it properly releases. I think my only negative is that I did not quite buy into the romance so much as simply being swept along with it due to just fun the film is.

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 10

Artist list:

Spoiler

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Bob and Earl

Jonathan Richman

The Modern Lovers

Googie Rene

The Beach Boys

Carla Thomas

Kashmere Stage Band