kayumanggi

BABY DRIVER | Sony | From Director Edgar Wright | On Digital HD 9/12, DVD and Blu-Ray 10/10

Just now, narniadis said:

Glad they have confidence in the film but august has shown to be quite profitable for good films and now we have another big hole in a month already void of product

Yeah, part of me is glad it's coming out in June just so I get it sooner, but this will undoubtedly hurt its box office. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

or they don't care about this movie since Edgar Wright movies tend to flop at the box office anyway

Keeping Wright happy was certainly part of why they accepted to do it, with Wright apparently promising to stay with Sony after, in one DeLuca leaked Sony e-mail and they refer to the movie has a passion project:

My vision quest, just imagine if the studio had deals to field films from these writer/directors to bolster the slate each year, with movies that do fit our creative and financial criteria:
Alfonso Cuaron
Guillermo Del Toro
Roland Emmerich
Baz Lurhman
Peter Jackson
Bryan Lourd told you when we were talking about me coming here that I’d get here and start to reel people in and Baz was my first yes, Rabineau arranging for me to fly to see Alfonso, I may not get everyone but I can get two or three and this isn’t even counting newbies like Edgar, who’s assured me after BABY DRIVER he’s mine…we can build a creative, commercial filmmaker utopia. We can recover from this and maybe the thing we do in short term is make a decision to be Sorkin’s home forever, after all he gets these filmmakers so lets do the deal for Molly and lock him in, lets see what writers are chased by directors and lock them in, we may have lost Danny but we don’t have to lose anymore. 

And that factor was repeated in other e-mail concerning that movie.

But they were asking for a 46 million net budget at the time ($55M gross, with Michigan tax credit), making it a bit of a big budget movie to not care about it at the time if they achieved to get close to that, and with those reviews.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, babz06 said:

Should have left it in August, it looks like it getting good reviews and had very little competition. Sony stays making bad scheduling decisions. 

That end up ruining their film's box office performance. 

Always. 

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Perhaps The Dark Tower is moving there.

Which is weird because they could have announced Dark Tower was moving to August at CinemaCon like they announced Baby Driver would open in June now.

Dark Tower really should move. It has Dunkirk and Valerian opening the week before it and War of the Planet of the Apes the week before that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baumer said:

the Michael Myers Halloween mask thing was hilarious

that part is literally the only time I have seen a reaction to the trailer in the times I've seen it in a theater :)

the movie maybe good, but the trailer or the main guy hasn't made it look good yet.

Maybe when they start selling the, it's a musical in the next trailer, it will look better to me ;)