baumer

Furious 7 (2015)

81 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Good, not as good as Fast 5 or 6. The Amazing Teleporting Shaw was silly, unless he had his own version of God's Eye the whole time.

New shared cinematic universe: The Prestige and the Furious.

Shaw was using the Transported Man to get around. Opens up a whole new world of possibility.

• Like 5

Shaw was using the Transported Man to get around. Opens up a whole new world of possibility.

Bring in the Enterprise crew traveling back in time to stop proto-Transporter tech from overrunning the Earth in clones and you got a deal.

• Like 2

I think it just twitched down there.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 5

You guys are all wrong.  Don't you remember the 70's tV show Six Million Dollar Man?  When Steve meets the aliens who control Bigfoot, they have a device that allows them to travel so fast through time that they appear as though they are teleporting.  This is obviously what Statham was using, which also means he could be bionic.  And if he is bionic, and Diesel beat him up, then maybe Toretto is bionic....it would explain a lot.

https://youtu.be/CZg2sKLVloY

• Like 1

You guys are all wrong.  Don't you remember the 70's tV show Six Million Dollar Man?  When Steve meets the aliens who control Bigfoot, they have a device that allows them to travel so fast through time that they appear as though they are teleporting.  This is obviously what Statham was using, which also means he could be bionic.  And if he is bionic, and Diesel beat him up, then maybe Toretto is bionic....it would explain a lot.

https://youtu.be/CZg2sKLVloY

Believe me, I know all about bionics. :ph34r:

• Like 1

It's definitely a lot of fun, with plenty of solid one-liners, some dazzling action sequences, and a perfectly handled tribute to Paul Walker to boot. However, the final set-piece in L.A. doesn't have the same level of enthusiastic energy that made the film's other set-pieces so entertaining, ultimately resulting in it wearing out its welcome a bit in the final act. Still, a solid action flick, just a bit overlong unfortunately. 

7.5/10 

• Like 1

jason statham turning up at the end of every action scene was honestly one of my favourite parts. almost like some crazy michael myers level of "how the fuck is he here now?" dude was a force of nature. For that reason I'm glad he's not in the movie more, they used him at the right times. And I hope they don't even explain how he gets out that prison for #8. he just doesn't stop.

• Like 10

jason statham turning up at the end of every action scene was honestly one of my favourite parts. almost like some crazy michael myers level of "how the fuck is he here now?" dude was a force of nature. For that reason I'm glad he's not in the movie more, they used him at the right times. And I hope they don't even explain how he gets out that prison for #8. he just doesn't stop.

Hoping he has a similar back story to the guy in The Guest. Unstoppable force.

On the second watch, the things that I thought were a little iffy the first time around turned out to not be a problem. It doesn't have bits that drag (unlike the 6th). And while Wan doesn't quite have the assured hand with setpieces that Lin does, all of the action is still really engaging and enjoyable.

Most surprising, the third act didn't feel overblown the second time around. It's ridiculous and over the top how much they're blowing up LA, but I got caught up in it all the same and found it to be really fun.

And that ending. Oof. So good.

Bombastic as fuck.

One could make an argument that this franchise is an acquired taste, but it's more than that.  Specifically, in somewhat poetic fashion this series is more about the journey it took to get to this point than anything else.  I can't help but feel that full appreciation of the films can't be had without being there from the beginning.  Let's be honest, this was a pretty damn poor offering of films prior to Fast Five.  Fast Five proves to be big, powerful, and glorious.  The sixth film, while still strong, treaded too close to Fast Five for my taste.  One could only help that this finale would take things that worked in Fast Five, and make them something else entirely.  Thankfully for the viewer, such is very much the case here.

It makes no sense to justify the happenings on on-screen here as you pretty much know what you're getting into at this point.  If you can't bask in the absurdity of a badass car jumping from glass building to building amidst the sunset, you're doing it wrong.  It's clear story doesn't matter here.  I would say the non-action scenes serve as a bridge to the action, but in all honesty this movie is basically all about the action.  And for that very reason, it succeeds.

Of course, action alone isn't quite enough.  We've all seen enough Michael Bay films to attest to that.  In truth, it does help that investment in the characters is easier after six previous viewings.  That being said, this movie's forte is simply being loud.  In fact, it's loud as fuck at times.  It is an action flick that pummels your senses into oblivion for over 130 minutes.  For me, that alone makes it a powerful experience.  I can't help but respect an action flick that leaves my ears ringing after viewing.

A fitting conclusion to a series that,for at least the last few years, has been among the more consistent and flat-out entertaining franchises Hollywood has to offer.
  • Like 1