CJohn

Furious 7 Weekend Numbers: Revised Official Estimate - 146.5M (Sunday underestimated) | Official OS Estimate - 240.4M

Be prepared for some big drops. It's saturday number will be down 10-15% from Friday (without previews) and 40% on Sunday. Friday will be more than 50% of the weekend maybe. Still amazing but it's not going to make $140

Explain to me how it will miss 140.  Give it a 25% drop on Saturday and a 40% drop on Sunday and it should do 145 mill.

Regardless of the number, it's a massive haul and I'm not sure why the 140 is the number your focused on.  This is a terrific box office weekend, how about soaking it in before trying to minimize it.

• Like 6

The question is, has the series finally reached its peak?

Without a doubt.  This is the zeitgeist of the series and imo, Universal will have to lower the budget considerably for the next one.  Without Walker, this series will fall considerably imo.  It can still do well if most of the cast is back, but it won't come close to this performance.  Even if this pulls a Twilight multiplier it will do close to 300 and it looks like a billion is possible too.  Walker's death obviously got a lot of casual people to go out and see it.

• Like 1

Explain to me how it will miss 140.  Give it a 25% drop on Saturday and a 40% drop on Sunday and it should do 145 mill.

Regardless of the number, it's a massive haul and I'm not sure why the 140 is the number your focused on.  This is a terrific box office weekend, how about soaking it in before trying to minimize it.

Yeah...why the negativity? It may very well drop like a rock (though somehow I doubt it), but it's still a friggin fabulous result.

• Like 2

Without a doubt.  This is the zeitgeist of the series and imo, Universal will have to lower the budget considerably for the next one.  Without Walker, this series will fall considerably imo.  It can still do well if most of the cast is back, but it won't come close to this performance.  Even if this pulls a Twilight multiplier it will do close to 300 and it looks like a billion is possible too.  Walker's death obviously got a lot of casual people to go out and see it.

True, but with a larger role for The Rock, and maybe introducing a new character, played by a major star can help ameliorate the drop.  

this movie is likely front loaded with Easter Sunday, still a monster

Of course it's front loaded.  All films that open to a 68 million dollar Friday are front loaded.  

• Like 1

how much money do you think universal spent in this movie altogether including marketing?

At Baumer's HV thread there are several calculated examples for lots of costs and income of high earning movies starting here:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/index.php?/topic/17284-how-hv-sales-used-to-turn-big-box-office-hits-into-massive-box-office-giants/page-15

In with this post are 4 summary posts of two years (2013 + 2014)

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/index.php?/topic/17284-how-hv-sales-used-to-turn-big-box-office-hits-into-massive-box-office-giants/page-18#entry1927716

That should give you a nice insight in such details too

Has anyone heard anymore about what kind of insurance payout they would have got?

I've read repeatedly 'set to get $50m'....

Yeah. Just got back from seeing it with the bf. Wasn't particularly full. Like the theatre was busy and the screening was full, but not anywhere close to what most even 40M+ OD movies do. 

Are you aware about a lot of cinemas added additional viewings on short notice? Might be one of the reasons...

holy crap at Kingsman.  it jumped 198% in per theater average from Thursday.  I am guessing Gunman and Run all Night will not be so fortunate.  Spongebob sunk last weekend with the opening of Home.  I thought Furious 7 would affect Kingsman the same.

Might be people who didn't get tickets or...??? too a little bit?

Peludo does a really great work at the international area with exchange rate changings...

He did a requested Avengers 1 to actual comparison, might give a bit of an insight why some of us are weary about ww numbers of 2015 and later releases:

I have taken a few for the last week of April 2012. If you are interested in some other country, tell me:

Argentina: 4.4069 (49% drop relative to today)

Australia: 0.9642 (26.5% drop)

Brazil: 1.8787 (39.8% drop)

China: 6.3011 (3% increase)

Euro: 0.7571 (17.3% drop)

India: 52.9627 (14.5% drop)

Japan: 81.03 (32.1% drop)

Mexico: 13.1072 (12.2% drop)

Russia: 29.37 (48.2% drop)

South Korea: 1,136.3 (4.5% increase)

UK: 0.6185 (8.1% drop)

If interested, here the link to his thread

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/index.php?/topic/18043-adjusting-exchange-rates/

• Like 2

Furious 7 is not reaching $350M lol. It's going to collapse after this weekend no matter how good the wom is. 

Why would it collapse?  I have no doubt that it won't get to 400 and I don't think it will hit 350 either, but what is your definition of collapse?  If it opens to 145 mill, give it a 2.4X and it hits 345 mill.  I think that's doable.

Part 2 of Baumer's pre-release F7 questions just got very interesting.

I said yes to the part about finishing within 40 mill of JP.  I regret that now because I think JP finishes about 70 mill BEHIND F7.

• Like 1

If FF7 can reach 150m OW then The Avengers 2 will pass 200m and TA1's OW :P

Massive difference in franchises.  One is obviously at it's zenith, and Avengers is not.