sfran43

Weekend Actual #'s | Furious 7 outperforms estimates -- $147.2m actuals!

You got this wrong.

BOM counts the OS gross from the weekend a movie first debuts in any overseas market at all, regardless of how many markets it opens in that weekend. Whatever it makes in the markets the movie debuts in after that weekend don't count. It's simple really:

Avengers first commercial debut overseas was the weekend before the movie came out in the U.S. In those markets it made 185m.

Then on it's domestic weekend it makes 207m on that front.

The OS debut weekend and the domestic debut weekend are added together for the WW opening.

Right, but if we're adding the first weekend in the U.S. to the the WW opening, why not add the other countries into the first WW weekend as well?

Am I making sense to anyone here? I had a drink for lunch.

• Like 2

We're combining the the first OS weekend, to the 1st DOM Weekend to give us the WW OW even though it's on 2 separate weekends.

Yes seeing as that 157M was 2nd OS wknd not OW.

So the 1st overall weekend gross wasn't considered WW OW because it didn't have a U.S. release. 

If you mean OS it was, was just waiting for the 1st DOM wknd to make the WW OW #.

By that logic, if the movie opens up in CHINA on the 3rd WW weekend, shouldn't that also count toward the WW weekend?

No.

Right, but if we're adding the first weekend in the U.S. to the the WW opening, why not add the other countries into the first WW weekend as well?

Am I making sense to anyone here? I had a drink for lunch.

You are, but in the end of the day it doesn't work that way. Do you understand how it works? Because WW includes US (DOM) and you need that to have a picture of the WW OW. What is your opinion on the OS OW was TA's in your eyes truly 185M?

• Like 1

Yes seeing as that 157M was 2nd OS wknd not OW.

If you mean OS it was, was just waiting for the 1st DOM wknd to make the WW OW #.

No.

Also works the same, if it's release DOM first and then OS afterwards?

Logic dictates that the only true WW OW is found by adding together the OW's of each individual territory no matter when that happens.

The current use of the term WW OW is meaningless as the OS number could could come from any random numer of countries depending on the film.

#EDISRIGHT

You are, but in the end of the day it doesn't work that way. Do you understand how it works? Because WW includes US (DOM) and you need that to have a picture of the WW OW. What is your opinion on the OS OW was TA's in your eyes truly 185M?

No, I always thought a WW OW was considered the first weekend it was release in multiple countries even if it didn't include the U.S.

You are, but in the end of the day it doesn't work that way. Do you understand how it works?

I think we all understand where the numbers are coming from. We're just saying it doesn't feel right.

No, I always thought a WW OW was considered the first weekend it was release in multiple countries even if it didn't include the U.S.

That's what I always thought too.

Logic dictates that the only true WW OW is found by adding together the OW's of each individual territory no matter when that happens.

The current use of the term WW OW is meaningless as the OS number could could come from any random numer of countries depending on the film.

#EDISRIGHT

1XohuCE.png

• Like 12

Yes. Then that weekend no matter if 1, 5 or 30 countries adds with the US to form the WW OW.

WW opening weekends are stupid. The staggered markets make comparisons between movies basically useless.

Now, if they did aggregate openings in all markets, that would be something that could be useful.

• Like 3

WW opening weekends are stupid. The staggered markets make comparisons between movies basically useless.

Now, if they did aggregate openings in all markets, that would be something that could be useful.

This would be ideal, if only could get all the countries onboard.

• Like 1

Furious 7 needs only a 2.04 multiplier to get to 300M. So the question is how inflated was this weekend's numbers considering Easter weekend isn't quite like other holiday weekends?

Not too inflated, it held much better than expected on Sunday which is always a good sign for these mega openers

• Like 2

Not too inflated, it held much better than expected on Sunday which is always a good sign for these mega openers

Then considering the lack of competition until Avengers, shouldn't have much problem reaching 300M, perhaps even staying at number 1 for the rest of the month.