CJohn

Weekend Estimates: TLR - 13.5M; Furious 7 - 60.5M; Home - 19M [F7 - 63M OD in China!]

"At this point, it’s playing like a somewhat leggier version of The Hunger Games. So using The Hunger Games as relative comparisons, we’re looking at a final domestic total of around $415m domestic."

i find this hard to believe. thg had amazing drops in its third and fourth weeks/weekends, that's what got it to 400 instead of 350. both it and f7 had bad second weekend drops so we'll see what happens but i expect 370-380. let's not forget some people predicting 400 and 500 for american sniper because of one or two good drops

TF2

All 4 Transformers films are shite yet made bazillions of dollars.

Pirates of the Caribbean, all 4 are terrible and same situation.

MCU films are mostly dull and derivative, yet they make tons.

Fast and Furious is all the same but clearly big money maker.

How exactly is Harry Potter 8 groundbreaking, james?

It's the final movie in a series that defined an entire generation and probably one of the biggest media phenomenons ever? Which is much more than other popcorn movies that are forgotten a few months after release.

Edited by James
  • Like 5

Say what you want about Transformers but do NOT diss the wonderful pirates films! Why they never made more than two I'll never know.
  • Like 1

It's the final movie in a series that defines an entire generation and probably one of the biggest media phenomenons ever? Which is much more than other popcorn movies that are forgotten a few months after release.

that's all well and good but what about the movie?

• Like 3

Moderation:

Really, you guys? Do you have no self-control at all? Stop throwing shade at each other and talk about the weekend numbers. This is not the thread for "my franchise can beat up your franchise" opinions... and it's certainly not the thread for insulting each other.

Settle down.

• Like 5

Ugh I don't want China to overtake the U.S. as the world 's biggest market. Pretty soon all of the studios will move there, just like all the other industry in this country.

the domestic market isn't getting smaller though. if anything movies will become more worldwide-feeling but considering even the biggest chinese movie would flop if imported to north america i don't see the US focus going anywhere any time soon

• Like 1

Ugh I don't want China to overtake the U.S. as the world 's biggest market. Pretty soon all of the studios will move there, just like all the other industry in this country.

What a shame, the US might not be the biggest and best at something.

It's the final movie in a series that defined an entire generation and probably one of the biggest media phenomenons ever? Which is much more than other popcorn movies that are forgotten a few months after release.

Do you understand what the word "groundbreaking" means?

Say what you want about Transformers but do NOT diss the wonderful pirates films! Why they never made more than two I'll never know.

They are awful. Which two are wonderful?

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 2

International markets getting so much bigger is a disaster for nuance and subtlety. I'm resigned to it, and studios will enjoy the money, but the last ten years of blockbusters have affirmed such box office doesn't breed creativity.

Edited by Hatebox

International markets getting so much bigger is a disaster for nuance and subtlety. I'm resigned to it, and studios will enjoy the money, but the last ten years of blockbusters have affirmed such box office doesn't breed creativity.

Since when did popcorn blockbusters have nuance and subtlety?

The days of interesting films being regular box office smash hits are over, regardless of how big the OS bo is.

What a shame, the US might not be the biggest and best at something.

Do you understand what the word "groundbreaking" means?

They are awful. Which two are wonderful?

Yeah, I actually do understand what groundbreaking means and that whole series was groundbreaking for it's genre and the movies that came after it. But there's no point in arguing with you. You have your opinions (as wrong as they are), I have mine and this is not the place to debate this.

I happen to like this new era where OS numbers are getting more attention than the domestic ones. The US has a certain taste in some movies I don't agree with.

Since when did popcorn blockbusters have nuance and subtlety?

Depends how far back you go. The 80s and even the 90s had a lot of huge movies that possessed both those qualities.

I suppose if you don't think big movies are generally worse now then there's no problem. Viva la box office!

Edited by Hatebox

Depends how far back you go. The 80s and even the 90s had a lot of huge movies that possessed both those qualities.

I suppose if you don't think big movies are generally worse now then there's no problem. Viva la box office!

Big movies are much worse now, that's my point. I'm just saying that international box office didn't cause that.

The movies that were designed to be blockbusters have not changed. Audiences have changed and are less willing to see new original stuff. Look at domestic top 5 of the year through the past few decades and it has changed - pretty sure overseas box office is not responsible for dom BO.

Edited by treeroy