The Futurist

Who will win an Oscar in the future ?

I take it we're talking people who haven't previously won an Oscar?

Christopher Nolan

Oscar Isaac

David Fincher

Alicia Vikander

Scarlett Johansson

Bradley Cooper

Wes Anderson

Jake Gyllenhaal

Tom Hardy

Jessica Chastain

Andy Serkis (might take a while but he'll get there)

Richard Linklater

Quentin Tarantino

Ikea Knightley

• Like 1

I can see Di Caprio, Chastain, Bradley Cooper and Amy Adams winning before the end of the decade. And Joaquin Phoenix, no matter what he might have said about the Oscars before, probably won't go without one for too long if he continues the hot streak he's been on. 

• Like 1

Jason Isaacs please

Tarantino has won 2, though not for Best Director (which I think he will still win at some point).

Somehow his Oscars left my brain this morning when I wrote that! Ignore that one then, I meant it for writing rather than directing anyway.

I hope Ethan Hawke gets one eventually. It would be shocking if Leo doesn't get one in the next ten years.

Why would that be shocking?

Leo continues to do dumb* mainstream films that appeal to his fans. I'm sure he is aware that if he put his mind to it and started doing movies that were more interesting and did something different, that he could eventually get an Oscar.

*by dumb I don't mean Transformers, I just mean something that is not a particularly intelligent piece of work

I read an article that summed his Oscar status up very well, I can't remember where it was but it said something along the lines of, 'Currently his films make his fans say, "bro he was so good", "dude he deserves an Oscar". If he did a film that disappointed his fans, he'd have better chances'

Leo continues to do dumb* mainstream films that appeal to his fans. I'm sure he is aware that if he put his mind to it and started doing movies that were more interesting and did something different, that he could eventually get an Oscar.

What?

So Jackman is nominated for Les Mis and yet Leo is told to stop making "dumb movies that just appeal to his fans and a very specific audience"  if he wants to win one? To make it even more ridiculous the article lists The Wolf Of Wall Street, The Great Gatsby, Django Unchained, Inception, The Departed  as "examples" for that sort of movie he is doing and "playing it safe". So Ejiofor and McConaughey took a huge risk with their roles in 2014? PLEASE.

No... that is very poor reasoning in that article and does not hold for a second when one thinks about it. DiCaprio just had some bad luck with strong competition in the years he came close or - when he actually did a role that on paper sounded like a likely Oscar-role as in J. Edgar the movie itself turned out bad. If he continues doing similar roles to the ones in the movies listed above he will remain a strong contender.

He plays very different roles, in very different movies, with some of the top directors out there... that person who wrote this article had some idea for some article that ended up being a pretty badly thought out piece of journalistic garbage. 

(and all that from someone who isn't even that crazy about Leo. But that kind of ridiculous advice by "journalists" pisses me off.)

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 3