Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

I can see that. We've gotten used to the summer season having the big openings and splashing stuffs, but it's clear with things like CA2 and AS and Hunger Games and F7 that summer openings can happen anywhere.

Well, not in September. But anywhere else.

This early May date might be a relic of the past. It's often generated huge openings and big films, but that could far more be because of the films than the date. It might behoove studios to really look at calendar configuration to plan on the best dates for these films to capitalize. That is, of course, if they're really interested in the huge, splashy numbers.

Agree with everything you wrote, I just want to quickly point out the irony of having this conversation during the second biggest OW ever  :lol:

• Like 3

Wait, so even 500m could be in jeopardy?

Yep, it very well could. Just depends on legs now. I think it will be close. If it gets there it will just barely do it, I think.

Yep, it very well could. Just depends on legs now. I think it will be close. If it gets there it will just barely do it, I think.

Time to start the What Went Wrong thread. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Agree with everything you wrote, I just want to quickly point out the irony of having this conversation during the second biggest OW ever  :lol:

Heh. Yeah. disappointment's a relative thing.

I mean, I'm not even that big a fan of either Avengers film and I feel kinda bad about these numbers.

Starting a WWW thread for a movie that will easily make over a billion dollars seems wrong. 

Didn't the 1B grossing Hobbit get one, and the 2.9B grossing Hobbit trilogy got one as a whole. And the 650M grossing Interstellar as well.

We are quick to overreact.

Edited by grim22

While I never expected TA2 to cross $530M, I did expect its OW to beat TA by a small margin. Whatever the factors that impacted it, TA2 will not be not close to $207+.

This also underlines the fact how big TA opening truly is. It may not be surpassed anytime soon. SW7 could have had a real shot at surpassing TA's OW, but for the time of the year.  

Finally,  it is ironic that the biggest impact on the box office this weekend comes from the supposed "fight of the century" that ended up being as interesting as a double bill showing of POS movies like MOS and TDKR.  ;)

• Like 1

Didn't Hobbit get one? And the 650M grossing Interstellar as well?

Those were both ridiculous. The threads shouldn't have been made.

• Like 1

67m would have been in play if AOU  played out like TA and a dozen other titles, 63 at them time was if it over indexed, and it certainly did. Just with TA matinees it was over but as evening went on it was under and the gap kept getting bigger as the night draw on.

With Gitesh I mentioned (yes I've known him since BOG been around) to him that it was potentially looking now  at around 30% diff, the last update he had heard a couple/few hours before was 20% maybe more

So...it's going below $59m.

Starting a WWW thread for a movie that will easily make over a billion dollars seems wrong. 

Of cause I was just joking, but it would be a hell lot of fun if someone did start a WWW thread lol :P

• Like 1

Didn't the 1B grossing Hobbit get one, and the 2.9B grossing Hobbit trilogy got one as a whole. And the 650M grossing Interstellar as well.

Well, the first hobbit one was made by someone who isn't all there. Don't know about the others.

The sequels are great too. Shame the cameramen were having seizures filming those movies.  :lol:

Yes. The Bourne movies single handedly made me sick of shaky cam.

• Like 1

Well, the first hobbit one was made by someone who isn't all there. Don't know about the others.

Yes. The Bourne movies single handedly made me sick of shaky cam.

Worst use of shaky cam ever

• Like 2