Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

I've been confident about Star Wars winning the year for a long time. Even if AoU had done 550 (it won't) I still would've been confident about Star Wars winning the year

It's the first movie in a new Star Wars trilogy! (Always the biggest ones.) It's been a decade! Return of Han and Luke! Cute rolling droid! Practical effects, which for some reason are a big selling point!

Feels like a perfect storm coming on

Oh same here. Always thought it would easily win. But now there is no doubt in my mind. It should be able to stomp 450-475m (AoU's likely range).

Oh same here. Always thought it would easily win. But now there is no doubt in my mind. It should be able to stomp 450-475m (AoU's likely range).

And then, like clockwork, people will overpredict Episode 8  :lol:

This opening is only disappointing to those who took it way too far and never remotely considered the most logical argument. That the $200M opening was an anomaly and that the first Avengers had a novelty to it that Age of Ultron never had.

Some of us were throwing around Empire Strikes Back and Spider-Man 2 as examples (a la sequel doesn't touch predecessor by sheer virtue of how huge it was) a few months back, to deaf ears. This conclusion was staring you all straight in the face. Some of you just refused to consider it was even remotely possible. And for that, you deserve ridicule.

This opening is absolutely fine.

Just for the record, disappointing and bad are not synonyms. The OW can be absolutely fine (which it is) and still be disappointing (which it is). Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Why shouldn't they be?

Cuz all of the Star Wars movies have used practical effects, and these new ones will use just as much CGI as the prequels

The difference is that JJ seems to understand, on some level, restraint. And how to stage a set - that will end up enhanced with CGI - in such a way that actors will be engaged, and not standing there looking at each other

Not the tools, but how they're used

• Like 1

Just for the record, disappointing and bad are not synonyms. The OW can be absolutely fine (which it is) and still be disappointing (which it is).

I refuse to call an opening looking to be in the $185-$190M range to be disappointing. Sorry, again... unrealistic expectations.

• Like 1

This opening is only disappointing to those who took it way too far and never remotely considered the most logical argument. That the $200M opening was an anomaly and that the first Avengers had a novelty to it that Age of Ultron never had.

Some of us were throwing around Empire Strikes Back and Spider-Man 2 as examples (a la sequel doesn't touch predecessor by sheer virtue of how huge it was) a few months back, to deaf ears. This conclusion was staring you all straight in the face. Some of you just refused to consider it was even remotely possible. And for that, you deserve ridicule.

This opening is absolutely fine.

SM2 opened bigger than SM1. It came out on a Wednesday, which is the only reason it didn't set a weekend record. It was still ahead of SM1 after 10 days. I don't think very many here expected TA2 to beat TA1's $623m, but it should have been able to beat the weekend total. 

• Like 4

SM2 opened bigger than SM1. It came out on a Wednesday, which is the only reason it didn't set a weekend record. It was still ahead of SM1 after 10 days. I don't think very many here expected TA2 to beat TA1's $623m, but it should have been able to beat the weekend total. 

No, it didn't. Spider-Man had a 3 day opening. Spider-Man 2 had a 5 day. You can say all you want about how it would have topped it had it been a 3 day, but you'll never truly know.