Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

2015 might be more exciting but we've had like so many flops.

2014 was more dependable. Boring but strong.

Yeah but again on the surface, you'd think think these hits would compensate. Fast 7 and AS combine for over $660 alone. You'd think that'd compensate for #Mortdecai, Strange Magic, Chappie, Unfriended, The Loft, Blackhat, Hot Tub 2, etc. when you're thinking about it. 

Will be smoother sailing from here on out though. 

Edited by Jandrew

You know, I am at least slightly disappointed that this didn't have a 200 million opening. However, at the same time, 187 million is a marvelous number and I just see it as Disney having the top three opening weekends of all time. Harry Potter may have the highest grossing opening day record, but at the end of the day, it only has the 4th highest grossing opening weekend of all time.

Plus, it has already made a ton of money worldwide and will end up being one of the biggest movies of the summer. And the other films are not cancelled either. They're still coming.

Some are claiming failure, disappointment, and fatigue, I just see a success. 

• Like 1

If I had to guess, we will easily match yesterday's Avengers tickets.

If it keeps going like it is, there's a chance we'll top Friday's. But that will come down to the evening shows.

That's great. Just curious, what was the overall percentage drop from non-preview Friday ticket sales to Saturday ticket sales at your theater?

If it keeps going like it is, there's a chance we'll top Friday's. But that will come down to the evening shows.

I'm not sure how to interpret this since I'm a dummy but I'm guessing this is a good thing?

Well even getting close to Friday on Sunday is good enough after yesterday.

• Community Manager

Yeah but again on the surface, you'd think think these hits would compensate. Fast 7 and AS combine for over $660 alone. You'd think that'd compensate for #Mortdecai, Strange Magic, Chappie, Unfriended, The Loft, Blackhat, Hot Tub 2, etc.

Will be smoother sailing from here on out though.

It does compensate them. If it didn't, 2015 would be far behind. But a compensation makes you competitive. It doesn't mean you win.

People look at things differently. We have the reasonable analyst and the Marvel loonies who are trying to save face now twisting the conversation. The second biggest OW is a great achievement, nobody is disputing that, but that doesn't mean that we can not call it disappointing from a different perspective. If you look at the bigger picture and Ultron's projected run, we're talking about minimum 150m decrease from TA. Yes, TA broke out, but still 150m is an enermous number, so that validates the title disappointing, especially when Ultron loses to Fast 7 both OS and WW, that was unexpected as well.

I'm sure Disney is disappointed the sequel didn't get a record breaking OW but it is doing well. Also the OS battle has just began. So far, Age of Ultron is over performing the first Avengers worldwide.

It might not win the battle, sure, but it'll still do well.

I'm not sure how to interpret this since I'm a dummy but I'm guessing this is a good thing?

It's a good thing, but in this particular scenario unrepresentative of the nation because Rallax's theater is in an area with a disproportionately large amount of Spurs fans who crowded the theater Friday night then skipped out last night to catch game 7.  Naturally there would be some correction today as well, not everyone who skipped out Saturday night saw it Friday, some may have decided to see it today.

This effect will be present on a national scale for the game and the fight, but to a much lesser degree. 

Edited by Spizzer - Manav
  • Like 2

Let's see:

"Super hero fatigue has set in!"-check

"More characters should make more money!"-check

"The fight didn't effect it...Marvel just sucks!"-check

AOU is teaching us a lesson. lol  :lol:

I doubt it.   The same mistakes will be made for SW, BvS, Civil War, Avatar 2.   We somehow continue to miss that box office perfect storms don't repeat and that "buzz" doesn't mean anything.

"Expectations" turn great numbers into "disappointment".   It will keep happening.   Execs at Disney would have to laugh at any notion they are "disappointed" with the 2nd highest OW of all time.   Yeah...that really sucks for them.   Obviously the public is getting tired of super heroes because they only gave it the 2nd highest OW of all time.   Sure...Marvel is just limping around from the wounds of a mere 2nd highest OW of all time.

As time goes on, we may start to realize what an accomplishment the TA OW was.   It could be like the long jump record set in the 1960s which stood for 20+ years.   I guess every guy who won the long jump competition every Olympics was a "disappointment"?    I'm thinking they figured out after a while that the record was a special achievement and expecting a special achievement every time out is not logical.

But you just know some will be "disappointed" when certain movies don't just casually go up and take that 207m OW record.    Learning a lesson?   Not bloody likely!

• Like 3

How many times does it need to be said that a movie can still dissapoint without being a flop?

A lot.  There's a lot of traffic on this board, not everyone has the opportunity to read things when they're first stated.

When big blockbusters opening to 250+ becomes the norm then we can start calling 187 million a disappointment but that bridge hadn't even been built

Edited by DAR
  • Like 4

• Community Manager

How many times does it need to be said that a movie can still dissapoint without being a flop?

When Age of Ultron can actually be considered a disappointment.

I look at the OW and I'm pleased even though I wanted this to open to over $200 million OW.

It means if his theater were a pure indication of the entire country (which it isn't), there would be an increase today from Saturday (which never happens).

From the general perspective though, it's a good thing. If most theaters follow suit, could have a stronger Sunday then projected.

Of course, the projection itself was pretty dang strong. So who knows.

Everyone needs to stop acting like it's doomsday.

If the Mayweather fight, Game 7 of the Spurs/Clippers and the NFL Draft really had that much of an impact, wouldn't that just mean a great hold next weekend? Maybe sub-50%? Extremely far-fetched but possible, especially since Hot Pursuit is really nothing. I expect $15-20 million for that. 

not really.  AOU just doesn't have the same legs. how many people that have already watched the movie (me included) want to see it again?  even the after credits were lame.  Avengers will be back on a red screen?  i don't consider that a spoiler, just telling people not to waste their time waiting to the very end of the credits. there were no clapping moments, no puny god, no great Tony Stark speech.  nothing to really get you excited or moved. not even a Batman rising out of the pit moment.  all of the regular Avengers seemed underwhelming outside of maybe Hawkeye.  if it weren't for Wanda (and i still think she could have been done much better; i was more impressed by Nolan's treatment of Catwoman vs Whedon's treatment of Scarlet Witch), this movie wouldn't crack my top 20, maybe even 25 CBMs of the last 15 years (as it is, it still has a hard time).  no offense to James Spader, but Ultron is no Loki who is no Bane who is no Joker. i won't even get into Vision or Quicksilver (who doesn't hold a candle to DOFP Quicksilver), but CB faithfuls will be upset.  much less humor as well; i'm talking MOS levels, even DKR was funnier. the way the movie ended, including the after credits, i had underwhelming interest in the next "Avengers".  more like junior varsity Avengers.

the OW is critical.  you just can't recreate hype and buzz once it's gone.  the Colorado shooting was a major buzz killer (and national tragedy) that DKR never recovered from.  the "fight" dropped a wet blanket on an already subpar movie. the WOM isn't there either to give it Avengers 1 legs let alone Titanic or Avatar legs.  it could drop like MOS (which i though was unfairly underrated). it's also not as family friendly (the serious moments were often quite boring actually, and will be at least doubly so among young kids) for the Mother's day weekend.

Edited by lobo007

When Age of Ultron can actually be considered a disappointment.

I look at the OW and I'm pleased even though I wanted this to open to over $200 million OW.

Sure but that doesn't mean you have to get mad at the fact people feel it is underwhelming and are discussing this

• Community Manager

Sure but that doesn't mean you have to get mad at the fact people feel it is underwhelming and are discussing this

I'm mad?

People can discuss it all they want. I merely replied that I don't think it's a disappointment. :)