antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

The "No reviews until it opens" is troubeling, it normally is not a good sign.

1 hour ago, Telehilation said:

It's a sensational movie.

The only review needed?

I've just realized that with BP doing gangbusters that it will only be in a small/medium screen at my theater.  I was really hoping it'd be in AMC Dolby but that seems unlikely. 

1 hour ago, ThePhasmid said:

This will be another unfortunate bomb associated with a brilliant screenwriter/director. It arrives at a bad time. A time where the MCU is hitting all the right buttons at the right time. C'est la vie.

It does not matter when it arrives because the movie is atrocious. He absolutely butchered the novel, and he even stated as much at the Q&A. The novel already is not that cerebral, but there is absolutely nothing cerebral about the movie. He turns a horror science fiction novel that expertly employs dread into that Predator movie from 2009 0r 2010. I was not big on Ex Machina, and Annihilation pretty much support my qualms about him. He ruins a great trilogy.  

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

Just now, The Last AndyLL said:

The only review needed?

I've just realized that with BP doing gangbusters that it will only be in a small/medium screen at my theater.  I was really hoping it'd be in AMC Dolby but that seems unlikely. 

Too bad. Seems like it would be fantastic in Dolby (it's got some great sound design for sure.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

Too bad. Seems like it would be fantastic in Dolby (it's got some great sound design for sure.)

Maybe they'll devote a couple of showing for it since BP will also be in IMAX.  TLJ shared the Dolby with Jumanji but that was only after it broke out. BP doesn't seem to huge in metro Denver so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Just now, The Last AndyLL said:

Maybe they'll devote a couple of showing for it since BP will also be in IMAX.  TLJ shared the Dolby with Jumanji but that was only after it broke out. BP doesn't seem to huge in metro Denver so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The # of PLFs Annihilation will get is more than likely below ten considering BP will be doing about 8-11x what Annihilation will :lol: 

2 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Tell that to Bethesda. Garland has a very extensive record of producing quality material. The lack of promotion might be due to the fact that the distributor knows it will be buried by the MCU giants. Risk vs. Reward.

I like most of Garland's work,but as stated, no one gets a hit every time out.

For me, "Sunshine" is a miss. Great first half, but blows it in the second half with a silly monster introduced at the last minute for no other reason hten to try to give it some box office appeal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slambros said:

I'm sure there's gonna be a degree of Sci-fi pundits driving the film's legs through word of mouth. At least, legs may save the film from being an absolute massive flop.

A film only costing around 35 Million cannot  be a massive flop. Ir can lose the studio money, sure, but not  a massive amount.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

This will be another unfortunate bomb associated with a brilliant screenwriter/director. It arrives at a bad time. A time where the MCU is hitting all the right buttons at the right time. C'est la vie.

Are you thinking about Dredd? Because I wouldn't call Ex Machina a bomb: $25M DOM on a reported $15M budget and it is the kind of movie that does well on DVD/streaming.

Not to mention, Annihilation can't be a bomb either with the OS rights already sold to Netflix, Paramount can't lose any money. Now it is up to American moviegoers to make the right choice (for once) this weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

If this doesn’t do well domestically, maybe overseas audience can save it.

ummm...

Just now, That One Guy said:

Wait a minute...

there you go, I think you got it on your own ;) 

• Haha 1