kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES | 05.08.15 - 05.10.15

I'm usually with you on that one, but Walker was the face of the franchise. He was in every single movie except the third. We saw him grow up and people obviously wanted to see him one last time. The ending montage also definitely increased the attachment to the movie. His death added around 50m to the gross just as Heath Ledgers death added 50m to TDK.

Why 50 M? We really can't quantify these things.

Not is you may see TA as average but undoubtedly it was one of the most crowd pleasing blockbusters of this decade.

But that mainly boils down to two scenes within a few min of each other.

giphy.gif

Hulk-Loki-the-avengers-30899759-500-281.

Those scenes were hilarious at the time, but while not on that level, they don't amount to much more than this scene that is now more reviled than heralded:

tumblr_inline_nbi5rvreDe1s1oc60.gif

They were more gimmick than classic, unlike a scene like this:

10percent.gif

Which still works to this day because it was earlier in the film and more integral to the setup of the mythos.

And just because a film is more "crowd pleasing" at the time, it doesn't make it a superior film. The Phantom Menace was "crowd pleasing" at the time because at the time it was released it was a simply the first new Star Wars film in 16 years and most gave it an initial pass for that reason alone(The Darth Maul fight scene at the end also covered up A LOT). It drew more attendance than both ESB and ROTJ. It adjusts higher than TA and had great legs. Every screening I went to ended with applause. It's only in hindsight that we have ...well, vilified it.

TA is a far superior film to TPM, but just because it was a crowd pleaser it doesn't make it better than its sequel by default.

• Like 1

Why 50 M? We really can't quantify these things.

No you can't realistically quantify it, but you can take a reasonable guesstimate. When a celebrities death comes before a huge franchise movie releases that he or she stars in there will always be a boost because of increased media exposure. It will also bring people to the theaters who are casual fans and usually wait for it to come out on DVD. For a big movie with a big star's death I think 50m is a fair and reasonable number.

No you can't realistically quantify it, but you can take a reasonable guesstimate. When a celebrities death comes before a huge franchise movie releases that he or she stars in there will always be a boost because of increased media exposure. It will also bring people to the theaters who are casual fans and usually wait for it to come out on DVD. For a big movie with a big star's death I think 50m is a fair and reasonable number.

I actually agree. I just wonder why you thought it should be 50 M.

I actually agree. I just wonder why you thought it should be 50 M.

I'm not sure, it just seems to be the most reasonable number. 25m is too low, 75m is too high, 50m sounds just right. So Furious 7 if Walker didn't die would've made around 300m, which sounds about right.

Edited by Mattrek Loves Del Toro
  • Like 1

I have to agree with you. There are 3 times where I can definitely see that the death of a star actor increased the BO of a movie. Giant was that James Dean was making when he died; that movie did massive numbers at the BO. Obviously, James Dean was a massive star at the time. It happened again with Heath Ledger dying while making The Dark Knight. Then, it happened again with Paul Walker while he was making Furious 7.

This isn't a hard rule, as other actors have died while making films, and those films didn't do massive BO numbers. However, if a popular actor does die while making a movie, there is an increased chance that the film will turn into an event movie. Event movies are the most popular of blockbusters and the true winners of the game of BO grosses.

Edited by Walt Disney

But that mainly boils down to two scenes within a few min of each other.

giphy.gif

Hulk-Loki-the-avengers-30899759-500-281.

Those scenes were hilarious at the time, but while not on that level, they don't amount to much more than this scene that is now more reviled than heralded:

tumblr_inline_nbi5rvreDe1s1oc60.gif

They were more gimmick than classic, unlike a scene like this:

10percent.gif

Which still works to this day because it was earlier in the film and more integral to the setup of the mythos.

And just because a film is more "crowd pleasing" at the time, it doesn't make it a superior film. The Phantom Menace was "crowd pleasing" at the time because at the time it was released it was a simply the first new Star Wars film in 16 years and most gave it an initial pass for that reason alone(The Darth Maul fight scene at the end also covered up A LOT). It drew more attendance than both ESB and ROTJ. It adjusts higher than TA and had great legs. Every screening I went to ended with applause. It's only in hindsight that we have ...well, vilified it.

TA is a far superior film to TPM, but just because it was a crowd pleaser it doesn't make it better than its sequel by default.

You dismiss crowdpleasing as if it's easy to do. It's not. Very few directors can make hugely popular entertainment that has classic scenes that appeal to everybody. Lucas, Spielberg, Cameron, Zemeckis and (arguably) Nolan are pretty much the only directors that have managed it on a consistent basis. I don't count films like TF or POTC as true crowdpleasers (even though they were hugely popular), mainly because they try too hard and there's no really memorable scenes in those movies that had audiences talking. TA is one of the few recent blockbusters that had classic crowdpleasing scenes in it, which is the main reason it got fantastic WOM. The fact that even Whedon couldn't come up with anything in the sequel that had the impact of those two Hulk moments in your post shows how hard it is to capture that magic with audiences.

Edited by Darth Homer

You dismiss crowdpleasing as if it's easy to do. It's not. Very few directors can make hugely popular entertainment that has classic scenes that appeal to everybody. Lucas, Spielberg, Cameron, Zemeckis and (arguably) Nolan are pretty much the only directors that have managed it on a consistent basis. I don't count films like TF or POTC as true crowdpleasers (even though they were hugely popular), mainly because they try too hard and there's no really memorable scenes in those movies that had audiences talking. TA is one of the few recent blockbusters that had classic crowdpleasing scenes in it, which is the main reason it got fantastic WOM. The fact that even Whedon couldn't come up with anything in the sequel that had the impact of those two Hulk moments in your post shows how hard it is to capture that magic with audiences.

You honestly believe there was no memorable scenes in either POTC or TF? Wow delusional much?

You honestly believe there was no memorable scenes in either POTC or TF? Wow delusional much?

POTC had a memorable lead performance but I'm struggling to think of any specific scenes from it. The sequel made even more money and I can't remember a damn thing about that...

POTC had a memorable lead performance but I'm struggling to think of any specific scenes from it. The sequel made even more money and I can't remember a damn thing about that...

I think the most famous moment in Pirates 1 was Depp saying, "You forgot one thing... I'm Captain Jack Sparrow..." Kind of highlighted the playfulness and fun of that flick.

Dead Man's Chest had the Davy Jones, the three man sword fight on a giant rolling wheel and a kraken eating Sparrow. All three were discussed through the end of the summer.

World's End might be the most memorable for me because Verbinski/Depp just went full on Rango/LoneRanger weird there.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer