Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

I weep for AOU and how lackluster it's box office run appears to be.. So many factors killed it, but I'd say F7 along with the Mayweather fight and early reviews killed it.. Sure, the movie has made a Billion  Dollars or close to it, but still. I never would've thought this would happen and because of that, I fear CIVIL WAR won't do any better..

People are just not feeling AOU like they did The Avengers.  That's the bottom line. 

Edited by Ecstasy
  • Like 3

That's true as well. Though, does anyone here actually believe that Civil War, with Winter Soldier level acclaim, can out gross Ultron DOM? Could be an interesting club...

MCU is an odd one.

People will watch CA2 or GOTG but skipped AOU from people I know lol. 

People assume its just one mass of nerdy comic book fans but its not. 

Maybe ULTRON didn't appeal to the casual fan like Whedon thought it would and maybe, he should've been the villain in the 1st movie and Loki in the 2nd???

Loki is MCU number one villain to audiences. 

Given that up to a couple weeks ago, people were thinking sub-30m OW, I'd say it's pretty great (assuming things hold more or less in this general neighborhood).

It's certainly more than I would have predicited 2 weeks ago, but on the other hand with that budget anything much less would have seen the film struggle to make profit (an OS breakout notwithstanding).

It's a nice start and the reviews put it in great stead.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

A while ago was thinking from tracking PP2 22-25m, MMFR 16-19, AOU 9-10m, not far out from what Variety been given 20m for FR could certainly be on cards given it should be big in eve but having said that some R's have strong matinees

Why aren't these RTH Friday numbers in the topic title already?

MAKE IT HAPPEN MODS!

...please?

I saw Max in the UK this afternoon with a massive hangover. Was no way I wasn't seeing it today. The movie sorted my head right out!!!

Decent numbers in my theatre for a 1:45pm showing. Didn't go back over tonight to check out the evening crowds for MM and Pitch Perfect.

I'm a little more pessimistic now because of AOU box office... Maybe CIVIL WAR will have better luck and not be surrounded by major sporting events or lukewarm reviews...

Countless massive hits had to deal with lukewarm reviews and major sporting events. A one night event is not an excuse for the drop in TOTAL gross.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 2

Countless massive hits had to deal with lukewarm reviews and major sporting events. A one night event is not an excuse for the drop in TOTAL gross.

I think its more about getting the hype and attention.

It seemed AOU did but not to a "record level" 

TF2 would have opened as big as TDK or Spider Man3 and did well.

DMC was one of the few films that was seen to be locked to break the opening weekend record and still get a huge gross.

(spiderman 3 was the other but got a flop gross) 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I weep for AOU and how lackluster it's box office run appears to be.. So many factors killed it, but I'd say F7 along with the Mayweather fight and early reviews killed it.. Sure, the movie has made a Billion  Dollars or close to it, but still. I never would've thought this would happen and because of that, I fear CIVIL WAR won't do any better..

The damn movie has made a billion worldwide. Whether or not it does as well as the first, it's made an absolute metric shit ton of money. Stop fretting.

• Like 1

Ok I dont want to give Tele an anxiety attack. I left because I got a migraine halfway through. I took my medicine but it didnt work, and it got to the point where I couldnt keep my eyes open or sit up so I had to leave or risk a trip to the ER, but the theater gave me a curteousy card so I can go back.

The half that I that I did get to see, was...all kinds of, 50 shades of, BAMF awesome. I was totally engaged and I loved where it was headed. Bummed I had to leave, but on the plus side, I get to witness it a second time :)

So you purposely got us riled up and mislead us with your post?

10pam9y.gif

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 4

In AUS Fri PP2 2nd Fri beat MMFR, NZ MMFR slightly ahead, UK looking at pp2 #1 Fri and Friday result be not to far under MMFR cume (prev+fri), GER 2 days PP2 looking at about 65% ahead of MMFR at this point

• Like 9

MMFR isn't playing well overseas it sounds.

its not a BO Monster. But I think it will break out in sufficient markets and have good enough legs for 450m WW. That is nothing to snort about for a movie like this. its not a jupiter ascending for you to shit on.

its not a BO Monster. But I think it will break out in sufficient markets and have good enough legs for 450m WW. That is nothing to snort about for a movie like this. its not a jupiter ascending for you to shit on.

Wasn't planning on shitting on it, unless you would like me to. The MMFR fans aren't pretentious, so the film is fine in my book.