Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

it's too bad that mad max didn't pull in a higher female share. if they had managed a 50/50 it would have made 62m ow. just goes to show that society needs to stop telling girls that action isn't for them from a young age. and vice versa, if men weren't taught that "girly" stuff isn't for them and pp2 had a 50/50 gender split it would have made 109m ow.

That's... not how it works. At all.

• Like 5

That article by Keith Simanton was terrible. My goodness. I'm not saying this because I'm bias toward Ray, because I'm not, but if I see another one of those, I'll be done reading BOM's articles. He obviously wrote that in a rush without much review.

I need to get back to updating my blog. I don't think I have since October.

That article has so many run-on sentences it's unbelievable, Jesus Christ. Edited by Alpha

it's too bad that mad max didn't pull in a higher female share. if they had managed a 50/50 it would have made 62m ow. just goes to show that society needs to stop telling girls that action isn't for them from a young age. and vice versa, if men weren't taught that "girly" stuff isn't for them and pp2 had a 50/50 gender split it would have made 109m ow.

TjJb9pd.jpg

• Like 5

I am expecting Tomorrowland to do very poorly. PP2 will win again next weekend with 30-35M 3 day weekend, IMO.

I can already smell the posts asking "who the hell chose these movies to be the Memorial Day Weekend openers?" coming.

Yes... it is. Completely.

No, that means if the Twilight sequels were 50/50 male/female split they'd have opened to 250m. That's not how it works, you can't just take the percent and the gross and assume it could've ever gotten 50/50 in the first place and kept all the audience.

lol it's really not that complicated. mad max made 44m this weekend. 70% was from males and 30% was from females. therefore 31m was from males and 13m was from females. if as many women went to watch as men did it would make 31m from males and 31 from females, or 62m total.

Why do people keep calling the Mad Max films niche. The second and third were the 31st and 24th highest grossing films in their respective years. That's a pretty good sized hit and equates to something around 100-130m in today's environment. That's not niche.

Saying that they're niche is saying that Denzel Washington is a niche actor.

The Equalizer was the 31st biggest film of last year.

2 Guns was the 45th biggest film of 2013

Safe House and Flight were the 25th and 33rd biggest films of 2012

• Like 4

Tracking is always taking a shot in the dark unless its the actual opening week. The reviews, when they come in, will be the determining factor for an original film that has had mixed marketing signals.

Even in actual opening week, tracking may not be accurate at all. PP2 was tracking for a 45M-ish opening, Furious 7 was looking at 115 or so, and most infamously this year Variety and Deadline went crazy calling for a 230M+ opening for Avengers 2. Tracking can tell us level of interest in a movie more than actual numbers.

Why do people keep calling the Mad Max films niche. The second and third were the 31st and 24th highest grossing films in their respective years. That's a pretty good sized hit and equates to something around 100-130m in today's environment. That's not niche.

Saying that they're niche is saying that Denzel Washington is a niche actor.

The Equalizer was the 31st biggest film of last year.

2 Guns was the 45th biggest film of 2013

Safe House and Flight were the 25th and 33rd biggest films of 2012

That is a terrible analogy. And yes, it is a high concept, rated R action movie with trailers leaving the general audience asking WTF. It's certainly more niche than mainstream, and had a great weekend. Edited by RyneOh1040

lol it's really not that complicated. mad max made 44m this weekend. 70% was from males and 30% was from females. therefore 31m was from males and 13m was from females. if as many women went to watch as men did it would make 31m from males and 31 from females, or 62m total.

And if I had gone to see it this weekend it would have made $10.25 more.

Madmax had a bad opening kayom but it may have legs as the wom is great. Is it yur favirite film of the year? So far furious 7 is my favorite and then age of ultron

Mad Max's opening might not be stellar but it still succeeded a lot of expectations.

*my favorite movie of the year so far is Age of Ultron and then American Sniper

Wow that Keith Simanton write up on mojo is embarrassing.

Plus, all we were hearing were rave reviews of those test screenings for Max a year ago. I remember a ton of people going nuts over it.

The headline didn't seem fair either. Weird times for Mojo