Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

Didn't it do 16.7 with previews. How is 16.7 --> 16.3 an 18% drop? 

I was tired :P

Pitch Perfect 2's number legit blows my mind how huge it is. Great for it! And Mad Max is doing pretty well too! Good weekend.

Some males on this forum *cough* are so uncomfortable with their sexuality they feel like whenever a female-targeted film does well, their own masculinity is threatened. I don't understand why some people feel the need to assert that ooh they'd never watch a film like that, it's way too shitty and unmanly. Nobody cares if you saw the film or liked it, I'm sure the thought "Pitch Perfect 2 did well this weekend, I wonder if BKB liked it" has never crossed anybody's mind.

It ain't about being offended or whatever, if you make a dumb statement on this forum then you better bet that you'll be called out for it. 

To be fair, I think we all know BKB wouldn't see Pitch Perfect. :P

I'm looking forward to checking out PP2, it's just that if necessary, I can wait until DVD to check it out. Seems like it'll be in theaters long enough for me to check it out though :)

Lol a bot to late but a sub 50 drop this weekend for aou was unexpected.

Should do over 30 million on memorial day.

How many times should we know this? laugh_01.gif

Plus a sub 50 drop for AOU was totally expected.

That exchange made me laugh.

"Expected fight"!

I definitely remember some saying this weekend would be a "true test" for AoU so any "expectations" were speculation as usual with Avengers movies.

Whenever I read something about teenage girls being the driving force behind the success of a film, it always sounds like you are trying to invalidate the gross of the film.  Teenage boys make up a massive audience for so many films, so why the need to point out that teen girls are out in full force.  Money is spent the same way, regardless of who it comes from.

Same with movies which appeal to adult women.   There seems to be an elitist disdain for anything women like.   Rom-com is almost code for "crap movie" to some people.    I suppose it's also that way for action flicks though...

The only thing women like which disturbs me are those endless "evil men" movies on Lifetime network.   Kinda scary.

I've always liked Banks.  She's been around for more than a decade and yet she's not really a major heavyweight in Hollywood.  Looks like that is going to change.

I've been in love with her since Spider-Man.    Just started watching Modern Family and she showed up in the first season there too.   She's still awesome.

So basically PP2 pulled off an Austin Powers 2, Terminator 2 or The Dark Knight type increase. Sequel to a well liked movie which didn't earn a lot in theaters but found a new lease of life on home video just exploded on OW.

Kinda the opposite of Kick Ass 2.    I must have been among only 3 people who found Kick Ass on home video and fell in love with it.  (I know 2 other people who did that)

Wonder how much of AOU's weekend gross this week came from IMAX screens. IMAX becomes a larger share in later weekends anyway, it had a roughly 10% share on OW, might increase a bit to 15% or more by now.

Even better because no one can claim they were "forced" to buy a more expensive ticket in later weeks.  (even though you always have a choice to not buy a ticket)   That's all people throwing extra money at the movie because they think it's worth more.

That article by Keith Simanton was terrible. My goodness. I'm not saying this because I'm bias toward Ray, because I'm not, but if I see another one of those, I'll be done reading BOM's articles. He obviously wrote that in a rush without much review.

I need to get back to updating my blog. I don't think I have since October.

• Like 1

Wow two 12% drops for Home in a row! Its PTA has actually been increasing every week:

$1,217 -> $1,230 -> $1,346

Go get em' Riri! Looks like it will end at 170m.

Oh, no...it's only a hit because there's nothing else for audiences to latch on to. ;)  <-------Sarcasm

Who the heck said that Home's success was not becaus people liked it but because audinces had no other choice?

• Like 1

People are underestimating Tomorrowland because of their own personal feelings to the trailers. Its tracking to around 50m for the 4 day, so it should pull around 40m for the 3 day.

Tracking is always taking a shot in the dark unless its the actual opening week. The reviews, when they come in, will be the determining factor for an original film that has had mixed marketing signals.

• Like 1

Which means CA:CW could be in trouble coming 5 weeks after BvS.

yeah. It seems those early April tent poles are taking some demand away from May. Those people who are hoping that civil war earns more than Ultron might be in for a rude awakening. Edited by babz06

Poltergeist is gonna bomb next week. Depending on PP2's hold, Tomorrowland might not be number 1.

Tomorrowland will probably be more of a flop than Poltergeist both will probably do ok but Tomorrowland needs overseas even if the U.S has a better performance than expected

I am expecting Tomorrowland to do very poorly. PP2 will win again next weekend with 30-35M 3 day weekend, IMO.

Edited by CJohn

it's too bad that mad max didn't pull in a higher female share. if they had managed a 50/50 it would have made 62m ow. just goes to show that society needs to stop telling girls that action isn't for them from a young age. and vice versa, if men weren't taught that "girly" stuff isn't for them and pp2 had a 50/50 gender split it would have made 109m ow.

Anyway in weekend's news excellent debut for Pitch Perfect 2 it hold up fine since really comedies are in some demand and Spy will be the closest competition since that's the close audience. Not bad for Mad Max either considering that it was a risky prediction and should be able to make more money than Mad Max:Beyond Thunderdome(82.8 million) adjusted.

Looking at the showdown on BOM, AoU is very very consistent with respect to IM3 (Avengers is frankly in a different stratosphere altogether compared to both movies).

OW: 191.2M VS 174M (10% more than IM3)

1st full week: 235.6M vs 212.4M (11% more than IM3)

2nd full week: 97.5M vs 89.4M (9% more than IM3)

3rd weekend: 38.8M vs 35.7M (8.5% more than IM3)

Basically it has been tracking between 8-10% greater than IM3 almost on a daily basis so far. 445-455M is the range AOU is looking at for a final domestic finish.

Tomorrowland will probably be more of a flop than Poltergeist both will probably do ok but Tomorrowland needs overseas even if the U.S has a better performance than expected

Poltergeist probably has a pretty low budget and doesn't need to be a huge hit. Tomorrowland will be mid-size level on OW but will make a profit in the end. Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

Looking at the showdown on BOM, AoU is very very consistent with respect to IM3 (Avengers is frankly in a different stratosphere altogether compared to both movies).

OW: 191.2M VS 174M (10% more than IM3)

1st full week: 235.6M vs 212.4M (11% more than IM3)

2nd full week: 97.5M vs 89.4M (9% more than IM3)

3rd weekend: 38.8M vs 35.7M (8.5% more than IM3)

Basically it has been tracking between 8-10% greater than IM3 almost on a daily basis so far. 445-455M is the range AOU is looking at for a final domestic finish.

you're being too generous. those numbers are clearly on a downward trend

you're being too generous. those numbers are clearly on a downward trend

I think it will hold slightly better than IM3 over Memorial Day weekend since nothing on the scale of Fast 6 and Hangover 3 is releasing this weekend.