Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

No, that means if the Twilight sequels were 50/50 male/female split they'd have opened to 250m. That's not how it works, you can't just take the percent and the gross and assume it could've ever gotten 50/50 in the first place and kept all the audience.

i don't really see what's wrong with this logic.

new moon opened to 152m adjusted, 80% of which was female. therefore it made 122m from women.

avengers opened to 207m adjusted, 60% of which was male. therefore it made 124m from men.

as far as we know this is approximately the most a movie can make in today's dollars, from just one gender (about 50% of the population)

as we saw from furious 7, movies don't suffer from having a 50/50 ow gender breakdown. they maximize their box office potential.

there's no reason to think less men would have watched avengers if more women had watched it, or less women would have watched new moon if more men had watched it.

some day there will be a movie that appeals to men as much as avengers did and appeals* to women as much as new moon did and it will therefore make about 246m on ow (in today's dollars)

*when i say "appeal" i mean more like they were told by society that they were supposed to like it, but that's besides the point

i don't really see what's wrong with this logic.

new moon opened to 152m adjusted, 80% of which was female. therefore it made 122m from women.

avengers opened to 207m adjusted, 60% of which was male. therefore it made 124m from men.

as far as we know this is approximately the most a movie can make in today's dollars, from just one gender (about 50% of the population)

as we saw from furious 7, movies don't suffer from having a 50/50 ow gender breakdown. they maximize their box office potential.

there's no reason to think less men would have watched avengers if more women had watched it, or less women would have watched new moon if more men had watched it.

some day there will be a movie that appeals to men as much as avengers did and appeals* to women as much as new moon did and it will therefore make about 246m on ow (in today's dollars)

*when i say "appeal" i mean more like they were told by society that they were supposed to like it, but that's besides the point

Again, just because something appeals to someone's demo that doesn't mean they have any interest in it.

water, you're really annoying. You come across as this sole person that can tell through society's double standards and bullshit. Fucking ridiculous. Plenty of people do. 

• Like 2

Of course there is.

Some of the things that most appeal to men about Mad Max might not appeal to women. Same goes for Pitch Perfect 2 - I'd wager that some of the biggest draws to women are making it less appealing to men.

So to say that a movie would retain its entire male/female audience while you change its marketing and appeal completely... well that's just illogical. 

it's too bad that mad max didn't pull in a higher female share. if they had managed a 50/50 it would have made 62m ow. just goes to show that society needs to stop telling girls that action isn't for them from a young age. and vice versa, if men weren't taught that "girly" stuff isn't for them and pp2 had a 50/50 gender split it would have made 109m ow.

Water: Cheaper By The Dozen is too white. America is 13% black, so 1.56 of the 12 kids should be black. *Nicki Minaj making a face gif*

• Like 4

i love it when you guys get all worked up over me. i'm just talking box office and generally enjoying life meanwhile you guys pop a blood vessel whenever you see my username. let the light in

lol it's really not that complicated. mad max made 44m this weekend. 70% was from males and 30% was from females. therefore 31m was from males and 13m was from females. if as many women went to watch as men did it would make 31m from males and 31 from females, or 62m total.

This might make nice calculations, but It doesn't work like this in the real world. If women were more into films like Mad Max, it would be instead of PP2, and vice versa. What you are proposing is that people simply go to films much more often, thus massively increasing the overall BO. But the amount people watch films is limited by time and money and there only so many films people will see, and different kind of films they would be interested in seeing.

It's possible that a certain film might find a way to appeal to other demographics without alienating its base, and in that case it would be a good idea. But overall, it's a good thing for the box office that there are films that appeal to specific demographics. If they tried making every film appeal to both genders equally, then the film industry would actually lose certain people which wouldn't like these kinds of films.

i love it when you guys get all worked up over me. i'm just talking box office and generally enjoying life meanwhile you guys pop a blood vessel whenever you see my username. let the light in

Well your logic is flawed, but you wont accept criticism, and you push your sexism/diversity agenda way too hard in every thread. Shoving something in someones face wont make them join your cause.

And your gifs are ridiculous. 

• Like 4

This might make nice calculations, but It doesn't work like this in the real world. If women were more into films like Mad Max, it would be instead of PP2, and vice versa. What you are proposing is that people simply go to films much more often, thus massively increasing the overall BO. But the amount people watch films is limited by time and money and there only so many films people will see, and different kind of films they would be interested in seeing.

It's possible that a certain film might find a way to appeal to other demographics without alienating its base, and in that case it would be a good idea. But overall, it's a good thing for the box office that there are films that appeal to specific demographics. If they tried making every film appeal to both genders equally, then the film industry would actually lose certain people which wouldn't like these kinds of films.

i didn't mean both pitch perfect and mad max having 50/50 gender splits in the same weekend, you're right that that's extremely unrealistic. and i'm talking more about society teaching boys and girls that it's ok to like things that aren't "for" your gender, and then that carrying over to all aspects of like including movies, rather than movies doing marketing any differently. an outside-in approach, not inside-out.

• Like 1

great weekend,even A:AOU held ok (the first one drop 45% so a 50% for the sequel is not that bad, let's hope for a sub 40% drop next weekend). PP2 did amazing business, it will be frontloaded but a $180 finish is very likely. MM4 has a very good opening, let's see how it's legs develop. Love to see so many movies doing good money

it's too bad that mad max didn't pull in a higher female share. if they had managed a 50/50 it would have made 62m ow. just goes to show that society needs to stop telling girls that action isn't for them from a young age. and vice versa, if men weren't taught that "girly" stuff isn't for them and pp2 had a 50/50 gender split it would have made 109m ow.

But+he+need+a+idea+or+objective+no+i+_ca

• Like 2