chasmmi

The Top 100 Film Characters of All Time Countdown Thread - Top 20 incoming!

64th: Celine - Before Sunrise and so on - Julie Delpy 

32pts - 2 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk3MgTTHdLs

Another return to pure characters and the opposite number to Hawke's Jesse fidnds her spot a few places higher than her guy. Again the above clip suggests this to be a charming little film that deserves to be seems and that comes from just a quick 2 minutes burst of character from the actor and actress.

It may be worth giving these films a try sooner rather than later as Before Brunch may well hit our screens in 2012.

• Like 4

How the heck did Starlord make the list? :mellow:

He's the lead in a recent popular movie. Why are you surprised? Personally in terms of GOTG characters, I preferred Rocket Raccoon and Groot, but there's nothing I can do about Starlord's inclusion in this list, cause I didn't vote. :lol:

Edited by Furiousarcher

63rd: Michael Corleone - The Godfather: Part 2 - Al PAcino 

32pts - 3 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPmTp9up26w

The Godfather was an all time great film with an all time great collection of acting performances (that may or may not feature in this list later). The Godfather part 2 is generally considered to be even better than the original which is quite a feat when compared to one of the greatest films of all time. .

The acting also, did not fail to match the quality of the fisrt with  5 Oscar nominations for acting roles including this one for Al Pacino. pacino was a great actor who thrived during the mafia movie heyday of the 70s and 80s although this is his only role to make the 100. (Carlito was 138 and Tony Montana was 227).

• Like 6

62nd: Rick Blaine - Casablanca - Humphrey Bogart 

32pts - 3 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7IWLZcVU64

The greatest film of the black and white era (and possibly any era) brings with it the highest ranked role of the era also. Rick Blaine was the perfect combination of an awe inspiring script paired with the best actor of his generation. It's a great performance that dwarfs most even greeat roles of the time. An all time classic.

I speak as a person who neither rates nor likes the majorit of pre-1960/1970s cinema and yet I can honestly say this is one of the best films and performances I will ever see. It is near perfect and utterly reccomendable even to those who feel they hate films of the era.

Elsewhere in the cast, Ilsa scored 233rd place)

• Like 4

64th: Celine - Before Sunrise and so on - Julie Delpy 

32pts - 2 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk3MgTTHdLs

Another return to pure characters and the opposite number to Hawke's Jesse fidnds her spot a few places higher than her guy. Again the above clip suggests this to be a charming little film that deserves to be seems and that comes from just a quick 2 minutes burst of character from the actor and actress.

It may be worth giving these films a try sooner rather than later as Before Brunch may well hit our screens in 2012.

I just watched before Sunrise and Sunset recently for the first time, very good films, definitely worth seeing. looking forward to Before Midnight.  

61st: Ariel - The Little Mermaid - Jodi Benson 

33pts - 4 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xxAqjo0Oms

The Tangled of the Renaissaince Era in Disney animation, The Little Mermaid is the film that breathed life back into a dying disney and did so with a great song and a classic story.

Admittedly the voice actress has a pretty easy time for a lot this film what with the muteness and all, but the animation and style create a wonderfully unforgettable character even without the need for lines or words. She is innocent and playful and a true testament to the power that blending disney with Hans Christian Anderson can have.

For the record, I believe we have five more Disney animation characters left.

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 7

60th: Baymax - Big Hero 6 - Scott Adsit 

33pts - 4 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f24xRCjJbIc 

And one of those 5 is right now. :) Baymax is an instant classic Disney character. Lovable, innocent, naive, funny, caring, just the most wonderful of characters and one screaming out to be revisited in future cinematic outings.

Personally, Baymax may well be my favourite character since Mulan or Frollo and shows that Disney is really back on track when it comes to its current animated outputs. Yes there may still be a few higher ranked characters to come, but in my eyes, only one of those beats Baymax.

• Like 4

That's it for tonight. Will hopefully at least get down to 50th tomorrow.

As a little sneak peak, 50th to 59th includes:

Two Action superstars

A scary guy

Something from Marvel Comics

A crazy woman

An inclusion that should never ever be anywhere near any list ever

Something animated

3 other people

• Like 1

The penultimate character from the black and white era

I have no right to complain since I didn't vote but but but....

So Rick Blaine (ridiculously low) is the last from a B&W movie??   No Atticus Finch or Kane or a 1000 other more deserving characters than freaking Starlord who was upstaged by a raccoon and a tree in his own movie? 

tumblr_m92lrhHXK51r0z3y7o1_500.gif

Yes, because we've NEVER had a million parodies of typical action star stunts going bust before. The sheer originality of EoT witticism thrusts the entire human race a good ten steps ahead in the evolution process.

I didn't say it was original. Very little of Edge of Tomorrow is original - the film is all execution, execution, execution. The comedy is done very precisely in EoT, and frankly I wasn't expecting the movie to be anywhere near as funny as it is.

I just watched before Sunrise and Sunset recently for the first time, very good films, definitely worth seeing. looking forward to Before Midnight.  

Before Midnight is great. It has many elements that sets it apart from the first two Before's. I need to rewatch this trilogy again. Before Sunrise is pure magic. And Celine's personality and outlooks are uncannily similar to my own girlfriend's. :P

I have no right to complain since I didn't vote but but but....

So Rick Blaine (ridiculously low) is the last from a B&W movie??   No Atticus Finch or Kane or a 1000 other more deserving characters than freaking Starlord who was upstaged by a raccoon and a tree in his own movie

Was it supposed to be just HIS movie though? 

Having said that, Starlord still has to prove himself in order to appear on a Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time list.

Iron Man might miss the list... Cap is sure to come though :)

Really? He has atleast 5 votes (#6, #11, #20, #37, #89). That's 44 points + 12 extra points. He will be higher than Cap for sure.

• Like 1