Asyulus

Kung Fu Panda 3 | 362m Overseas | 504m Worldwide

Most of them in fact got worse reviews than 2nd, though.

Not guaranteed that KFP3 will fall into that trap. Hope it doesn't of course, because I love this franchise. But we can't count on it getting great reviews.
  • Like 1

Many third instalments drop as well.

Well...the thing is...it's mostly because they got mixed to negative reception....

But Madagascar 3 was not like those third installments. And it made $216M.

Iron Man 3 also had an increase rather than a drop. (Granted it was the TA effect) But still, IM3 made $409M.

Ice Age 3 didn't drop either from IA2. And it still made $196M.

Toy Story 3 increased considerably. It made $415M.

So yeah....not ALL third installments drop. Probably some of them...but not all of them.

• Like 2

Not guaranteed that KFP3 will fall into that trap. Hope it doesn't of course, because I love this franchise. But we can't count on it getting great reviews.

I think they already learned from Shrek the Third that they will make the third parters actually great threequels this time.

MAD3 for example.

Well...the thing is...it's mostly because they got mixed to negative reception....

But Madagascar 3 was not like those third installments. And it made $216M.

Iron Man 3 also had an increase rather than a drop. (Granted it was the TA effect) But still, IM3 made $409M.

So yeah....not ALL third installments drop. Probably some of them...but not all of them.

Also Final Destination 3, Twilight Eclipse, X Men the Last Stand, and Jackass 3D!

But Madagascar 3 was not like those third installments. And it made $216M.

absolutely agree

But CNY falls in its 2nd weekend and it will lose most of its crees as there will be 4-5 huge local movies. I doubt it will break any records in China.

KFP3 can make 275-300m before CNY and with those numbers we'll see how many screens will lose on CNY.

Edited by efialtes76

KFP3 can make 275-300m before CNY and with those numbers we'll see how many screens will lose on CNY.

your expectations are too high. That is faster than furious 7 and we dont know how the screen allocations will be. Normally I am expecting some of the other winter films to release in January like Star Wars, Mockingjay 2 and may be even Spectre. So I am not convinced KFP2 will get F7/AOU level of screen allocations and market expansion has slowed down enough to it not have higher gross than F7 with lower show count.

On KFP2 not losing screens during CNY look at the competition. No way will SARFT let it thrive instead of local films.

KFP3 will have same release date as Mockingjay part 1 this year.

10 days of free run and bloodbath of local movies on CNY...

Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chow Yun-Fat and Steven Chow each has a movie to be released on same day, and sequel to Monkey King 2013 starring Gong Li also opens same day.  :blink:

Edited by keysersoze123

On KFP2 not losing screens during CNY look at the competition. No way will SARFT let it thrive instead of local films.

It is being animated by Dreamworks' Chinese animation house and extra money is being spent on having Mandarin lip-synching as well as English,

If it is massive, it will give Dreamworks reason to send more of its business to China and thus boost Chinese Animation massively. It is in China's interest for this particular Hollywood film to be a big success.

• Like 1

900M OS with 440m out of that from China. If this manages to open on Chinese new year there, then 500m-540m there. 160-210m Dom. Shouldn't go below 160. This will possibly be very good and culturally exotic (even moreso than the previous installments) for it to go below that. It still has a lot of fans. The 2nd part was recieved well and the tv series has maintained awareness. So 1.05 To 1.2B WW.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 2

Btw here's the first post of my KungFuPanda3 ovr 1B WW club -

Ok, so this is my 1st club here please correct me if I may have done something wrong.

This club may come as a surprise but I believe that Kung Fu Panda 3 has genuine high chances to reach this landmark. The trump card for this is China. The previous part was very, very big in China. KFP1 made 27m there in 2009 and 2 years later KFP2 made 93m there in compliance with the enormous growth in the market. Now the market has been growing at a rate of around 30% for a good number of years and the rate of growth is only increasing (this year, as of now, is currently 60% ahead of last year). As such this is expected to do minimum 400m in China next year and its almost certain that this will break the all time record whatever it is at the time of its release. A big bonus is that this may get released on Chinese New Year in China (the reason they are opening this in January DOM). If it does then only sky is the limit. Here some posts from Johnny Storm/Olive in the Chinese thread -

Now then so here is what I think -

450m China (can be much more, min is 380m)

450m OS (can be both more or less but definitely Not by much)

200m DOM (Can be 30-40m less. Can be slightly more too if turns out good)

So - 1.1B WW

Also, I had a debate on this in the "record no. of billion dollar movies" thread and here is a post I made there, with my reasoning for all three - China, OS and DOM grosses -

So who's with the Warriors of Legends? :)

• Like 1