#ED

Weekend Official Estimates: SA 53.2m, PP 14.4m, TL 13.8m, MMFR 13.6m, AOU 10.9m, Aloha 10m

No problem. Disaster films are the films where realism matters the least. Pretty much nothing that happened in Day After Tomorrow or 2012 could ever actually happen, but that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying the movies.

You mean to tell me that Neutrinos do not mutate? 

No problem. Disaster films are the films where realism matters the least. Pretty much nothing that happened in Day After Tomorrow or 2012 could ever actually happen, but that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying the movies.

Yes, but Twister was realistic....cows really can fly.  :)

• Like 1

The land had 20-30 meter swells. Ain't no building gonna survive that.

Well, to be fair, not many really did.

We can always solve that problem by drilling down to the core and setting off a nuke.

No, they must be strategically placed around the core to create a self-perpetuating wave effect. Get it right.

• Like 1

We can always solve that problem by drilling down to the core and setting off a nuke.

Was about to type out that you set off a series of nukes so that they build off each other to create a wave effect, but Deecee beat me to it. 

Also, me and Deecee seem to remember that fact from The Core offhand, never a good sign.

• Like 2

No, they must be strategically placed around the core to create a self-perpetuating wave effect. Get it right.

You mean to tell me that our Core handles nukes differently than an asteroid the size of Texas?

I think I'll see San Andreas next Thursday, after finals week is done and school is out.

Same

I was looking forward to it anyways but Baumer and Jandrew have me pretty excited.

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1

Gonna have to stop you right there.

The earthquakes in the film are physically impossible due to the San Andreas fault being a "slip fault" as opposed to a "subduction fault." The highest you could potentially get is an 8.2 or so on the Richter Scale, as opposed to the ones in the 9 range in the film.

And before you say "well 8.2 and 9ish isn't that big a difference," a difference of 1 on the scale is a 10-fold difference in shaking intensity and over 31 times more energy released.

baumer I'm not attacking the film for being unrealistic, I am negating Jandrew's claim that San Andreas was a more realistic film than Mad Max.

Come on dude, you know exactly what I meant by "realistic."

Seeing photo-realistic skyscrapers, bridges, landmarks, tsunamis, fires, eruption, and human casualty on such a large and broad scale in a time period that I'm currently living in feels more realistic than seeing a bunch of suped up bald people people ride around in the desert chasing each other and shooting at each other, in a time period and setting that I'll obviously never experience. 

Well no duh, San Andreas could never happen, but seeing real people of 2015 go through an event like, and seeing buildings and landmarks that I see on a regular basis come toppling down and crushed to death, it impacts me more. I was being wowed to death during Mad Max too, but my heart wasn't racing. Why? Because I know its impossible in this sense. In terms of San Andreas, whether that earthquake is possible or not, it looks real. The people dying, surviving, and running for their lives look like you and me. That is what I meant by realistic, none of that Ritchter scale nonsense. That is why San Andreas was a better thriller for me.

I know you guys know I love space, but I love weather as well, and for some reason, earthquakes and plate tectonics have always been included. I love the concept of earthquakes, plate techtonics, fault lines, etc. Hell, I live on one. I know its not realistic, but that doesn't mean it cant feel realistic within the circumstances.

I had the same reaction during the 2012 LA scene. Yes I know its nowhere near realistic in terms of reality, but it looks realistic because its our everyday landmarks. 

• Like 1

The Core was a big bomb. So was Volcano and Dante's Peak. Guess not all disaster films succees

The Core was an amazing thing. Amazing. Those special effects :lol: 

I think I've liked every disaster film, even the not so successful ones like Volcano and Dante's Peak.  

• Like 1

I love most disaster movies as well. Except The Core. Fuck that ugly shit.

See guys, we are not optimistic. We totally love the apocalypse. We are all gonna die in a few days. Be optimistic guys. Stop thinking and loving apocalyptic events and dystopian futures. Fuck those damn Hunger Games and Divergent and Mad Max and San Andreas movies. #Optimism

Only a few people will understand this  :ph34r:

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

I think I've liked every disaster film, even the not so successful ones like Volcano and Dante's Peak.  

Volcano is a guilty pleasure. It's nothing something I actively try to find, but if its on cable, I'm turning to that channel. Dante's Peak I've seen once or twice. We watched it in class in 8th grade. The scene when the grandma falls in the hot lake.  :lol:

• Like 2

Come on dude, you know exactly what I meant by "realistic."

No, I presume people use words the way they mean.

What you're saying is that San Andreas is a more relatable movie.