52 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I saw this last night because a friend wanted to and I was surprised.  I still don't think McCarthy is funny, but the rest of the cast was hilarious.

I, personally, think Statham stole the movie.  I was out of breath during all his stories about whati he has seen or done.  Like the wife being thrown out of a plane just to get hit by another plane.  I literally couldn't breathe.  Any time he showed up I was already laughing.

so overall, pretty funny movie that worked because it was nothing like a normal McCarthy movie.

B+

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

Yea Stathams stories were awesome. Great writing and perfect delivery by him.

yeah the girl I was with says she laughed more at my reactions to him than the actual movie.  He was THAT funny to me in the movie :P

• Like 1

I felt like Statham was really underused. He'd pop up every now and again but I'd have preferred it if he was a proper solid second lead.

This isn't anywhere near as funny as Bridesmaids or The Heat, but it's more consistent. It doesn't have long segments of deadness like Bridesmaids did.

I really loved how McCarthy's character was a spy. Like, an actual legitimate spy. Not some corny, unfunny parody spy, not some hopeless joke. She (the character) is good at what she does, she's a dead shot, she's smart and powerful. And yet she also has a great arc in which she regains her confidence - she felt like a real human being. Peter Serafinowicz was funny and used appropriately too. It was nice to see the colourful variety of cast members.

But McCarthy aside, I didn't like the film that much. I didn't find Byrne or Law engaging or funny, and a lot of the gags fell flat as McCarthy&Feig have done them before. And although I didn't care about the story, that doesn't really matter - this sort of comedy is about the jokes. I felt really disappointed by this, as the duo's previous outings were excellent. They're still a great pair and I can't wait for Ghostbusters, but this was a much more mediocre comedy than I was hoping for.

Lots of fun, it's pretty much a fun funnier version of the female 007 and Melissa McCarthy is funny and lots of fun. I also thought the other cast were enjoyable too especially Jason Statham and Rose Byrne they were both funny and enjoyable even Jude Law's American accent. Lots of funny scenes, and a good blend of action and comedy as well. Overall I liked Spy it has lots of action, funny scenes, and Rose Byrne's butt. Grade:B+

Nice and digestible. Statham telling his stories was the low point and some of McCarthy doings were a big stretch for me. 70/100

Bridesmaids is on another level of greatness.

Edited by Goffe

Yep, pretty funny stuff.  I laughed quite a bit.  The second half is much better than the first and Statham and Byrne are brilliant.  Script is funny and the action is well done.  Really good summer film.

8/10

My thoughts as well. Statham and Byrne were just hilarious. The way Byrne deadpanned some of her lines was just hysterical. I almost spit out my soda when she bluntly followed up McCarthy's corny "owl" toast with "what a stupid fucking retarded toast. You're lovely." :lol:

• Like 2

My thoughts as well. Statham and Byrne were just hilarious. The way Byrne deadpanned some of her lines was just hysterical. I almost spit out my soda when she bluntly followed up McCarthy's corny "owl" toast with "what a stupid fucking retarded toast. You're lovely." :lol:

I agree with you completely. That was easily the best line of the movie. Absolutely fucking stupid retarded toast your lovely. That just makes me laugh thinking about it

• Like 1

Statham was incredible, whoever wrote his lines was genius too.

Loved this whole exchange, pulled it from IMDB's quotes section:

Rick Ford: You really think you're ready for the field? I once used defibrillators on myself. I put shards of glass in my fuckin' eye. I've jumped from a high-rise building using only a raincoat as a parachute and broke both legs upon landing; I still had to pretend I was in a fucking Cirque du Soleil show! I've swallowed enough microchips and shit them back out again to make a computer. This arm has been ripped off completely and re-attached with *this* fuckin' arm.

Susan Cooper: I don't know that that's possible... I mean medically...

Rick Ford: During the threat of an assassination attempt, I appeared convincingly in front of congress as Barack Obama.

Susan Cooper: In black-face? That's not appropriate.

Rick Ford: I watched the woman I love get tossed from a plane and hit by another plane mid-air. I drove a car off a freeway on top of a train while it was on fire. Not the car, *I* was on fire.

Susan Cooper: Jesus, you're intense.

On an aside, I can't believe this movie isn't going to gross as much as the horrid Identity Thief. :mellow:

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

Rose Byrne was great. The action was pretty inspired for a comedy. McCarthy, Law, and Statham were good. It was just missing something for me; a bit more wackiness than I got that I usually like in my comedy. Still, it's a very well-made film, even if I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected. B+

Loved this whole exchange, pulled it from IMDB's quotes section:

Rick Ford: You really think you're ready for the field? I once used defibrillators on myself. I put shards of glass in my fuckin' eye. I've jumped from a high-rise building using only a raincoat as a parachute and broke both legs upon landing; I still had to pretend I was in a fucking Cirque du Soleil show! I've swallowed enough microchips and shit them back out again to make a computer. This arm has been ripped off completely and re-attached with *this* fuckin' arm.

Susan Cooper: I don't know that that's possible... I mean medically...

Rick Ford: During the threat of an assassination attempt, I appeared convincingly in front of congress as Barack Obama.

Susan Cooper: In black-face? That's not appropriate.

Rick Ford: I watched the woman I love get tossed from a plane and hit by another plane mid-air. I drove a car off a freeway on top of a train while it was on fire. Not the car, *I* was on fire.

Susan Cooper: Jesus, you're intense.

On an aside, I can't believe this movie isn't going to gross as much as the horrid Identity Thief. :mellow:

I'm literally rotflmfao right now.  That's probably the best exchange in the movie.  Byrne has the best line, but that exchange is priceless.  McCarthy's delivery of her lines is so perfect.  

• Like 2

I'm literally rotflmfao right now.  That's probably the best exchange in the movie.  Byrne has the best line, but that exchange is priceless.  McCarthy's delivery of her lines is so perfect.  

What's the great Byrne line?