52 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Thanks Kelli!

OK surprisingly enough I really enjoyed it. Essentially Kingsman's sister film, a bit more feminist, a bit louder and believe it or not a bit trashier (the internet's double standards and hypocrisy will really shine through with reactions this film). In fact they'd make a great double bill, who knew that bartender was a Chechen terrorist... Too many laugh out loud moments, make sure you go with a good crowd.

McCarthy was really great, Byrne and Serafinowicz were da real MVPs, Statham was just hilarious the whole time (stay for the after credits), Law was alright. Really great fun.

8/10

• Like 1

Loved it. I haven't laughed this hard during a movie in a long time. McCarthy was great, really funny. Loved Byrne and Serafinowicz. Statham was absolutely hilarious (dude seriously needs to do more comedy - he's great).

Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Rating A

Yep, pretty funny stuff.  I laughed quite a bit.  The second half is much better than the first and Statham and Byrne are brilliant.  Script is funny and the action is well done.  Really good summer film.

8/10

• Like 3

Movie was funny as hell. Sort of dragged a bit in the middle I thought, but it the third act was so damn brilliant it made up for it.

Everybody did great. McCarthy was good as usual, Jude Law did fine, and Statham, Byrne, and Peter Serafinowicz were all fantastic. Seriously, putting Statham in this role was a stroke of fucking genius.

Not without its flaws, at times it became your usual "dick/vagina joke" filled R-rated comedy, but most of the time it acted as a really witty spy film parody.

I give it a B+, among the most enjoyable films I've seen in the past couple of years.

• Like 1

A hilarious and exciting amount of fun. Paul Feig really does bring out the best in Melissa McCarthy: while their previous collaborations (Bridesmaids and The Heat) generated comedy gold, she hasn't found the right star vehicle away from him to properly showcase her talents (see, or better yet don't, Identity Thief and Tammy). As lead roles go, this is her best yet, as she delivers impeccable comedic timing and shows that she's no slouch at handling action scenes either. She is surrounded by an excellent supporting cast that includes Rose Byrne (can we please please PLEASE give her a comedy vehicle to headline already?), Jude Law, Jason Statham, Allison Janney, Bobby Cannavale, and Miranda Hart (a fun discovery). Statham is probably the standout (he's having a blast playing against type as a hot-headed bumbling fool), but everyone is given their moment to shine. The funniest movie in a long time, and I'm now very excited to see what Feig and McCarthy have planned for next year's Ghostbusters reboot. A-

Statham's theme of constantly telling MM about his injuries and how he has done impossible things as a spy, and McCarthy's reaction to all his stories, is one of the best things in the movie.  

"I reattached this arm, with this arm."

"Yea, I don't even think that's possible."  

• Like 6

Probably the best movie I've seen this year. No hyperbole. My expectations were way exceeded. Fox's marketing is trash because the movie is not like it at all, yet its not trash because they did a good job with hiding some surprises. McCarthy was not reduced to a walking fat joke. This was her best character yet. Multi dimensional, likeable, and badass. It was so fun to see McCarthy kick ass.

All the other characters were so ridiculous it was amazing. Rose Byrne deserves an oscar for best supporting bitch. She played that role so-good. Jude Law was great as James Bond-esque, and Statham...wow. I loved that reoccurring joke they kept doing with him. So original and fresh from Feig. I dont know much about Miranda Hart, but I thought she was alright. Her jokes and likability got better as the movie went on. I was surprised at how hilarious Allison Janney was too. Her dog joke caused a riot in the theater. Joke after joke after joke, laugh after laugh after laugh. They just kept coming, and they were so original and fresh. Again, McCarthy was not a walking fat joke, and I praise Feig for that. She is so good with verbal comedy and I'm glad he left say something other than "fuck." Oh and Ando, dude was great.

The action was surprising as well, and was very coherent and fun to follow. Again, seeing McCarthy kick ass was awesome. Thought it was well directed by Feig too. They got form point A to B without clutter, and he did a good job balancing everything. The locations looked great too.

I was doubting Ghostbusters, but not anymore. Feig and McCarthy is a force together. Funniest movie I've seen since I don't know when, and best this year so far. And there was no feminist agenda, IDK where people are getting that from. It's just a movie with a lot of women that kick ass and are funny. They didn't "put down men" in this, so IDK where people are getting that from. I was not expecting what I got. I told myself I'd stick with McC after Heat and Tammy, and I'm glad I did. A movie.

50 Cent was the best part. Everything he said had me dying.
  • Like 2

I normally avoid typical Hollywood comedies from the last 5-6 as I find them almost the same, but with so many good reviews [not only from critics, but also some friends'] I decided to give this one a chance and I'm happy I did. Movie was a blast. A- from me.

This movie doesn't deserve more than a couple of sentences - and I've already said exactly as many in the other thread, so I'm done here.

C- (but my finger slipped accidentally and pressed the F in the poll, sorry)

PS: I also gave it a 1/10 at IMDB. But I'll confess that was done on purpose. I do so with every film I hate - especially if it is as incredibly overhyped as this one. (And for the wrongfully mistreated movies I always vote 10/10.) I like to think that I can make a difference this way.

Edited by Shayminator 5

Another reason to love Spy is the Die Hard homage they did.  Bobby Cannavale plays DeLuca, the guy who is the liase between Rayna and the buyer.  At the end, when he gets shot in the arm, he comments that it was a new suit, which instantly reminded me of Hans Gruber, a subtle nod, but then when he grabs Susan's ugly necklace and she unhooks it just like Holly did it Die Hard with her watch, DeLuca falls from the helicopter and they do the exact same shot in Spy as they do in Die Hard.  I love subtle little winks like this.

I saw it again today and I liked it even more.  I liked it a lot the first time, but this time I loved it.  All the jokes worked and this is the kind of film that should get some Oscar consideration, especially for the writers and for Byrne, her performance is just as strong as Kevin Kline's in Fish Called Wanda and McCarthy's in Bridesmaids.  

I too am a lot more interested in the female Ghostbusters, this film convinced me that it will be good.

9/10

• Like 3

The thing i really liked in this film was that they had McCarthy's character actually be competent. As much as I like Johnny English and some others, I fee this film would have suffered if she was winning the day by falling over something, dropping her gun that goes off, hits the chandelier and knocks out the bad guy running away.

It was so much  better that she was actually damn good at what she was doing (although maybe getting a little queasy at what she had just done at times :) )

• Like 2

Solid. I think my biggest complaint would be that I felt as if I had seen almost all of the funny stuff through out the marketing material that has been released, but it was still entertaining to see it all in context. Would be worth a few more viewings if I were to be presented with the chance.

B+