K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Universal has really pulled themselves up by the bootstraps after being down in the gutter just a few years ago.

Last year was awesome for them too. No mega blockbusters but their box office gross to investment ratio was insane.

Yea, Jurassic movies are almost animation-like in terms of retaining audience in the subsequent weeks.

The movie seems to be a universal crowd-pleaser and it will drop like a Pixar.

I don't even know where to begin here. JW is still built on a huge fanbase of the first Jurassic Park movie. It'll be lucky to hold much better than Man of Steel, although it arguably has less competition.

Still, the fact that Universal could have three $100m openers in one year is insane, especially with the studio not having a huge hit in quite a while.

i like Pratt but he has nothing to do with the opening. It is because of the Jurassic Park name and being the first one in 14 years,

I'm going to call BS on that one. Obviously Jurassic Park can sell all by itself, but Pratt has developed quite a fanbase since Guardians of the Galaxy. If anything, Pratt locked in audiences that were already mostly convinced.

• Like 1

If anything, Pratt locked in audiences that were already mostly convinced.

He also brought in a cerain crowd that probably wouldn't have seen the movie if he wasn't in it. 

I don't know what percentage they represent, and it might not be great, but I saw far too many "Only seeing this movie to stare at Pratt for 2 hours" to think it's just a handful.

One shouldn't underestimate the power of fangirls (or fanboys).

Edited by JennaJ

When this surpasses the MOS OW June record Universal will have broken the February, April and June opening weekend records in the same year, and will own the monthly records for half of the first half of the year.

Bump, this deserves to be seen lol.

Dat Pratt effect. Good for him, he seems like a very down to earth and likeable guy. I hope he doesn't let the fame get to his head and leave Anna Farris, she's awesome.

Edited by jessie

I don't even know where to begin here. JW is still built on a huge fanbase of the first Jurassic Park movie. It'll be lucky to hold much better than Man of Steel, although it arguably has less competition.

Still, the fact that Universal could have three $100m openers in one year is insane, especially with the studio not having a huge hit in quite a while.

Well...

Edited by zackzack

Dat Pratt effect. Good for him, he seems like a very down to earth and likeable guy. I hope he doesn't let the fame get to his head and leave Anna Farris, she's awesome.

Had no idea theyve been married for 6 years.

Not gonna happen.

23b0a9d7a0996152dd8dba28b51ae3cad13e65ab

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Friday Update #1:

Sources report that Jurassic World bowed to an excellent $18.5 million from shows beginning at 7pm on Thursday night. That appears to put the film on a continued course for the June opening weekend record, currently held by 2013's Man of Steel ($116.6 million).

Last night's stellar performance for the dino sequel notably topped Furious 7's $15.8 million Thursday haul, that film having gone on to a $147.2 million weekend. However, with most schools now out of session and vacation season beginning, the comparison with Jurassic World isn't apples-to-apples.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-06-12-north-america-thursday-night-report-jurassic-world-roars-with-strong-185m-start

sad_superman.png

Opening weekend record is going down.

This movie has simply unprecedented dominance with the 20-40 crowd & their families.

Edited by ExcelFTW
  • Like 1