K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

BUT HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??

BECAUSE MOTHERFUCKING DINOSAURS

But seriously no mega opener in 3 years, perfect storm of nostalgia, Avengers not quite breaking out, a dash of Pratt, decent (?) reviews, roughly first weekend of summer.  In hindsight we can explain it but no one saw it coming.

I think the best thing is when a group of 10 people show up right at showtime and they act surprised that they can't find 10 seats together.

Happened about 20 times while I was waiting for American Sniper to start  :lol:

Same with Avengers 1/2. I'd expect no less from Jurassic World. 

Only people on the internet use this adjusted unadjusted stuff and I never see or hear it used outside of it.. Not one time..Sorry, but I don't buy into this..

What do you mean you don't buy into it? Do you deny tickets cost a lot more now than 1993? It's stupid to pretend they don't. It helps provide perspective when you realize JP1 would have made at least $750m with today's prices...it gives you an idea of the ceiling on the Jurassic Park brand and thus it helps explain why Jurassic World has exploded like it did.

• Like 1

At a glance, All three Jurassic Park movies are very leggy.

JP - 7.0x

JPII - 3.2x

JPIII - 3.5x

3.2x was not leggy by 1997 standards, lol. and the third opened on a Wednesday

• Like 1

But seriously no mega opener in 3 years, perfect storm of nostalgia, Avengers not quite breaking out, a dash of Pratt, decent (?) reviews, roughly first weekend of summer. In hindsight we can explain it but no one saw it coming.

NO..... THIS MUST BE A DREAM!! A REALLY FUCKING VIVID BOX OFFICE DREAM!!
  • Like 1

What do you mean you don't buy into it? Do you deny tickets cost a lot more now than 1993? It's stupid to pretend they don't. It helps provide perspective when you realize JP1 would have made at least $750m with today's prices...it gives you an idea of the ceiling on the Jurassic Park brand and thus it helps explain why Jurassic World has exploded like it did.

I'm slightly skeptical about adjusting grosses. How do you know that every person who bought a ticket in 1993 would buy a ticket today? Do we know if dollar inflation has kept up with ticket price inflation? 

At a glance, All three Jurassic Park movies are very leggy.

JP - 7.0x

JPII - 3.2x

JPIII - 3.5x

I think you will find most movies that came out in 90's have these kind of legs or better.

Yea, but we've been through this all before.  None of those movies had to deal with what films have to deal with today.  Just last night my room mate was telling me he's going to strt looking for a good copy of JW to dl so he can watch it on his computer.  I implored him to see it at the theater as the experience there is so much better than a 12X18 screen.

And I know you are new here but this debate has been going on for about a decade now.

I understand!  With all due respect to you, there seems to be PROS and CONS but one has to consider both views then

But seriously no mega opener in 3 years, perfect storm of nostalgia, Avengers not quite breaking out, a dash of Pratt, decent (?) reviews, roughly first weekend of summer.  In hindsight we can explain it but no one saw it coming.

Don't forget kids. This was marketed heavily towards kids using Lego sets and video games.

• Like 1

I'm slightly skeptical about adjusting grosses. How do you know that every person who bought a ticket in 1993 would buy a ticket today? Do we know if dollar inflation has kept up with ticket price inflation? 

You can't answer those questions for sure, but you can say the average price in 1993 was very low compared to now and JP1 sold 86 million tickets. The industry itself puts out the average price so we know the 86 million ticket number is fairly accurate, especially since back then they didn't have IMAX or 3D or any other bullshit to distort the dollar gross. All you would need is 50 million tickets today to hit $400-425m.

Like Baumer said, different eras. These days you can just download a pirate copy within a matter of days (or hours sometimes), DVD's coming out like 3 months after the film opens, we didn't even have DVD's in 1993 and we had to wait like a year before the film would come to VHS.

Home cinema, streaming software, tablets, phones, the list goes on.

• Like 1

I Understand how you feel but it must be considered as a fact.

the film that came CLOSE to anything is Avatar and Titanic

Not even AVENGERS is considered

Adjusted PER dollar today vs then

Amount of seats and theaters vs then

Amount of theaters overseas vs then

Ticket price inflation

etc...

let's look at the top films adjusted talking that into consideration.

Highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation%5B28%5D%5B29%5D Rank Title Worldwide gross

(2014 $) Year 1 Gone with the Wind $3,440,000,000 1939 2 Avatar $3,020,000,000 2009 3 Star Wars $2,825,000,000 1977 4 Titanic $2,516,000,000T 1997 5 The Sound of Music $2,366,000,000 1965 6 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $2,310,000,000 1982 7 The Ten Commandments $2,187,000,000 1956 8 Doctor Zhivago $2,073,000,000 1965 9 Jaws $2,027,000,000 1975 10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs $1,819,000,000S 1937

As if Titanic would be under Avatar.

BTW! there is really nothing in the movie that should stop a parent from a 6 year old or more from going to see it.

It actually is less to deal with than The Lost World

It's on a Jurassic park level

Also, it is cool to see KIDS commercials for Jurassic World TOYS this morning as I watch SAT cartoons with my son.

Like Baumer said, different eras. These days you can just download a pirate copy within a matter of days (or hours sometimes), DVD's coming out like 3 months after the film opens, we didn't even have DVD's in 1993 and we had to wait like a year before the film would come to VHS.

Home cinema, streaming software, tablets, phones, the list goes on.

Those are all fair points. Still, JP1 sold 86 million tickets and it doesn't require a super high retention rate to hit massive numbers today. JP4 can hit $550m with 20 million fewer tickets.

They wouldn't. No way would JP gross 750mil if it released this year instead of 1993. Same with Gone With The Wind, it wouldn't make 1.5billion or whatever its adjusted gross is (with a million re-releases) if it released today.