K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Ta record should go down already.

Considering the insane ticket prices these days it's shocking it took 3 years.

But ticket prices haven't gone up much since 2012. If they went up by as much as they did from 2002-2005 for example they'd be at $8.78 not (at most) $8.30. If they wen't up by as much as from 2007-2010, they'd be over $9. The last few years has seen the slowest ticket price inflation since the early 1990s.

Every sports fan in Cleveland (myself included) and the SF Bay Area is going to be watching the finals tonight, but if they want to see JW they'll have plenty of opportunity to find a more suitable showtime over the next few months, just like everyone who watched MayPac did for Avengers.

Edited by tribefan695

Around 25 million people will watch the game that's more than watched Jurassic park this weekend what you personally do means nothing but a lot of other people will choose to watch the game over the movie which imo is the right call if you care at all about basketball or sports

And a person can do both today.

Every sports fan in Cleveland and the SF Bay Area is going to be watching the finals tonight, but if they want to see JW they'll have plenty of opportunity to find a more suitable showtime over the next few months, just like everyone who watched MayPac did for Avengers.

Or they'll go before the game.

Every sports fan in Cleveland (myself included) and the SF Bay Area is going to be watching the finals tonight, but if they want to see JW they'll have plenty of opportunity to find a more suitable showtime over the next few months, just like everyone who watched MayPac did for Avengers.

Not exactly two of the country's biggest markets in fairness.

Around 25 million people will watch the game that's more than watched Jurassic park this weekend what you personally do means nothing but a lot of other people will choose to watch the game over the movie which imo is the right call if you care at all about basketball or sports

Playboy: You make quintessential guy movies. Do you have an secret nonguy hobbies?

Tarantino: It's more a matter of guy things that I don't do. I don't hang around pool halls. I don't play poker. And I don't go to sporting events. To me, torture would be watching sports on television. If I go to Dodger Stadium, that's ok, because the game is secondary to the beer and the environment. One thing I don't understand is that average American movie-goers cannot watch a movie for three hours, yet they'll watch a stupid, boring, horrific football game for four hours. Now, that is boredom at its most colossal. I have a lot of little theories, and one of them is that nobody really likes sports. But men feel they should like sports, so they act as if they do. I also feel that way about the Who. I don't think anybody really likes that band. Everyone thinks they're supposed to like the Who, so they just pretend. They're afraid to say that the emperor has no clothes.

Edited by KingoftheWorld

Honestly think Universal is lowballing with the $204 million estimate. Give Sunday $4 million and another million to Saturday. $209 million - just barely above the $207.4 million record.

But I could see Universal prefering to let Pitch Perfect 2 have some of JW's ticket sales instead of reporting an increase for JW.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Guys, the problem here is everyone is trying to BLANKET everything.

- Some of you are assuming GOT is going to take out a big chunk because everyone is going to stay at home and watch it, but fact of the matter is: for all we know, many people than plan on watching GOT tonight couldve already saw JW, or they could be going earlier today, or they may have plans to see it later in the week. Also, not everyone that watches GOT will watch tonight. People have HBO Go for a reason. But then again, not everyone that is not going to watch GOT tonight is going to JW, theres a million other things they could do.

- Tonights NBA Game is a non-deciding game. Not everyone is going to watch, but not everyone that's not watching will be going to JW, there's a million other things they could do. But some people may skip the game in favor of JW because its non-deciding. Also, many people that plan on watching the game again probably already saw JW or plan on going another day anyway.

You guys keep assuming people are going to do one or the either. There's a million more things to do today than watch GOT or watch JW or watching Game 5. Alot of people that wanted to go to JW last night were shut out and probably already bought tickets for today anyway. It's 100% obvious we're experiencing spillover, so that will soften drops. But let's wait and see. Either way, its gonna be close. Could be 204, could be 207, could be 210, barring strange events, could be 200. Arguing over it is pointless, we'll know for sure in 24 hours, but stop blanketing it, on both sides.

I think it's important to note that the sporting events that hurt Avengers happened on a Saturday-a much bigger movie-going day than Sunday. The Game of Thrones finale is on Sunday evening. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that because people have to go work on Monday, at the time that Game of Thrones airs, people wouldn't be going to the theater anyways. Same with the Stanley Cup and the baseball game tonight.

Also the MayPac fight cost money to watch-a whole $100: it really cut into people's entertainment budget. None of the events tonight do that.

• Like 1

Or they'll go before the game.

True. But, with the spillover and sellouts, if it's sold out when they go earlier, they'll just wait to see it. That's the issue. Evening sales might take a hit. I expect just a modest one though. I think it drops a little over 20% and takes the record.

I've given up trying to read through all these pages.

Does anyone else feel that this number is just too big to wrap their head around? I just can't comprehend it... Wow.

Honestly think Universal is lowballing with the $204 million estimate. Give Sunday $4 million and another million to Saturday. $209 million - just barely above the $207.4 million record.

But I could see Universal prefering to let Pitch Perfect 2 have some of JW's ticket sales instead of reporting an increase for JW.

PP2's numbers are right in line with rth. They're not gonna miss the OW record to give a film that's already made 8x it's budget a few extra bucks.

I think it's important to note that the sporting events that hurt Avengers happened on a Saturday-a much bigger movie-going day than Sunday. The Game of Thrones finale is on Sunday evening. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that because people have to go work on Monday, at the time that Game of Thrones airs, people wouldn't be going to the theater anyways. Same with the Stanley Cup and the baseball game tonight.

Also the MayPac fight cost money to watch-a whole $100: it really cut into people's entertainment budget. None of the events tonight do that.

That last part is important no ? WB. What I've been wondering myself is how big of an effect an event you are watching as part of your normal cable bill has in the BO vs a PPV event.