10 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Shame

Shame

Clearview's Chelsea Theater - 2:45 PM - 85% full.

I also walked in to The Artist at 2, 90% full, and Dragon Tattoo 2:30 Sold Out.

Trailers:

Missed most of them because I was waiting for the ticket checker guy to leave.

Albert Nobbs - Do people in the movie really believe she's a guy?

Movie:

It's pretty okay. Fassbender really isn't that great, but Mulligan (sp?) is pretty awesome. The movie has less dialogue than The Artist (not really, but pretty close to it). There's little editing - in one scene he goes for a run that lasts around 5 city blocks. Then when she is singing New York, New York is stays on her face for the whole song, and since she sings it really slow it's there a while. Pretty graphic movie that really didn't need to be. GREAT score with some awesome strings though.

Yea.

^Why won't it turn into a video?

Edited by Dragon Travtoo

This is obviouisly very, very adult in theme. The tone throughout is brooding and cold, and the title of the film encapsulates the entire running time of the film. The score is haunting and really helped to craft the mood. Everything you've heard about Michael Fassbender is true (everything). He is a quiet powerhouse, but I also think Carey Mulligan deserves alot of praise for her work here too. As Brandon's sister, she's like his ying and yang. Where he expresses nothing, she feels everything, and of course this was very deliberate. I really enjoyed their brother-sister dynamic. One of the most powerful scenes in the movie is a 3+ minute shot of her performing "New York, New York"- which is telling, because I found New York City, and the complexities of living in a city like this, to be a running theme of the film itself.Steve McQueen takes the depressing issues of this film and brutalizes the viewer with it- very quickly, the sex scenes lose any appeal they might have had due to the excessive, depraved, and mechanical nature of it all. And I liked that by the end of the film, I really didn't feel like anyone was preaching to me. There's no how or why explaining his behavior. Brandon doesn't reach some grand revelation, he doesn't change or even really try all that hard, he just lets you into his sad world for a few weeks and then you move on. This film epitomizes loneliness. I don't think it was totally perfect- sometimes, despite succeeding in holding its grim tone without becoming a complete screeching, over the top melodrama- it occasionally fell into cliches (particularly concerning Mulligan's character, and one scene in the rain that I rolled my eyes at). But I do think it's one of the best movies of the year, even though, I probably don't ever need to see it again.8.5/10

Edited by rockNrollaDIM
  • Like 1

Shame

Clearview's Chelsea Theater - 2:45 PM - 85% full.

I also walked in to The Artist at 2, 90% full, and Dragon Tattoo 2:30 Sold Out.

Trailers:

Missed most of them because I was waiting for the ticket checker guy to leave.

Albert Nobbs - Do people in the movie really believe she's a guy?

Movie:

It's pretty okay. Fassbender really isn't that great, but Mulligan (sp?) is pretty awesome. The movie has less dialogue than The Artist (not really, but pretty close to it). There's little editing - in one scene he goes for a run that lasts around 5 city blocks. Then when she is singing New York, New York is stays on her face for the whole song, and since she sings it really slow it's there a while. Pretty graphic movie that really didn't need to be. GREAT score with some awesome strings though.

Yea.

^Why won't it turn into a video?

I'm not quite getting your point of why this film shouldn't be too graphic. It shows how deep Fassbender's sex addiction has gotten to and it has to be as graphic to get its point across. Plus, how is Fassbender "not so great" in this exactly? Go into detail.

Only just came out in the UK.Thought it was brilliant, and am surprised it's not a much more prominent awards contender. I haven't seen Descendents or Moneyball, but man... Clooney and Pitt must be pretty damn good to deserve any acting awards over Fassbender.I'd definitely watch it again. It's highly emotive.

Well I've had a chance to sleep on it, and this is definitely a powerful film. It's one of those where you can't take your eyes off the screen (until the over-gratuitous three way). But that's about the only quibble I have with it. Carey Mulligan was so out of her element, but in a good way. She has an enormous talent, and I think deserved a supporting nom for this. Fassbender started out good and then got great in the middle and the end. One scene that broke my heart was when he had the chance to have an actual relationship he couldn't do it.That showed just how bad his addiction was. This isn't a movie about sex, it's about a person's tragedy in dealing with their addiction. They don't let others in to help them, but simply justify why it is the way they are. Once you're overboard, you'll go to any length to satisfy yourself. It's definitely a one time viewing, but such a powerful one at that. Definitely worth a watch with an open mind. The bar scene with Mulligan was one of the better from 2011. Such a poignant moment.A

Absolutely great film, the grim tone was really highlighted by the amazing score, I absolutely agree with what you guys said, by the end the sex becomes so meaningless and mechanical it almost disgusts you, and it was a very sad scene when he had a shot at something real and he just couldn't overcome the addiction, because it had meaning he couldn't perform, it really shows you how addiction is a sad and dangerous place. I thought it was very well done minus a few scenes that could have been slightly shorter and the scene were he cries in the rain didn't really do much for me. Fassbender is amazing and so is Mulligan.One thing the film is very reserved about is the relationship between the brother and sister, do they have a sexual relationship?A-

One thing the film is very reserved about is the relationship between the brother and sister, do they have a sexual relationship?

I like that the film didn't explain what happened to them in their childhood that made them so f*cked up. What was Mulligan's line, "We're not bad people, we just come from a bad place"? That's all you need to know, right there. My guess is that they were both sexually abused as children by another member of the family, probably their parent/s. Maybe they were forced to watch each other, or even engage in certain activities together, which would explain the sexual weirdness between them as adults. The scene where she crawls into his bed after sleeping with his boss was just so bizarre. There was definitely strange energy there but I got the impression whatever happened (incest or not) was not something that had occurred recently or in their adult life. And that part of Fassbender's shame was his past, and what he may have done to/with his sister when they were younger.

I saw Shame in January, it still remains my favourite film of the year. Fassbender was phenomenal and deserved all his accolades, but Mulligan was equally as good IMO in her supporting role and it's a shame (ha) her performance wasn't given as much recognition. The "New York, New York" scene sent chills down my spine. It was perfect. Great film.

• Like 2

I'm not really sure this is the kind of film that needs a grade, but there's very little doubt it's an absolute juggernaut.I kind of wish more attention had been paid to Fassbender and not his sister, but I understand her purpose. This is haunting stuff.......the subway scene at the beginning is one of the more powerful scenes I've ever seen on film.It's something to be experienced....but not sure if there's really a need to see it again, as adim stated.

well after the whole best thread ever evoking numerous pun jokes about fassbender in this movie, i figured i'd watch it ! film has been laying around waiting for me to watch it since last january i guess...i figured i need to get through all awards films nominees from last yr which i haven't yet before this yrs list is complete of awards hopefuls etc...anyway about the movie, been used to europeans films i have to say i didnt get the fassbender schlong fame....movie was very weird, very uncomfortable, and intimate in sense you see him in all his imperfection, his boss was an overbearing douche!his sister was a handful of an emotional mess, so needy and pathetic no wonder he felt trapped by her!film just got weirder and weirder as he went down his hole of meaningless sex...the threesome scene felt like it would never stopped , felt like watching two completely separated things sharing the same space his disgust/pain and supposedly a sex encounter where the ladies were gaining pleasure and is suppose to be ultimate fantasy of meni might have liked it more if he seemed to want to change and work at forming a real meaningful bond with a woman but then it would be another film i guess! and would that be a viable realistic option giving his background...

i might have liked it more if he seemed to want to change and work at forming a real meaningful bond with a woman but then it would be another film i guess! and would that be a viable realistic option giving his background...

I think by the end he obviously realised he had a serious problem. When he sees that stranger on the train he looks scared, not lustful like in the opening scene.

I thought it dealt pretty well with addiction and how it drove Brandon away from a meaningful bond with anyone. Fassbender low-key performance is pretty spectacular, it exhales loneliness, one of the best moments were when he cries while doing sex, heartbreaking moment in the film that made me shed some tears.

I also really liked the dialogue, two of them stuck with me:" We're not bad people, we just come from a bad place" told us in a simple and effective way that they didn't have an easy past, and not through (usual) long minutes of exposition.

Other little things were the unexpected (and surprisingly effective) humor in the beginning and the blatant Zimmer rip off with the score theme.

80/100