#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Since the entire creative team of Amblin works on *all* Spielberg's movies, how do you credit Spielberg?

Since the entire creative team of Lucasfilm works on *all* Lucas's movies, how do you blame Lucas?

Since the entire creative team of Marvel works on *all* Marvel movies, how do you credit Russo Brothers?

Movies are collaborative works.  If you believe this means quality doesn't rest on director, then we just disagree.  Cool.

Animation is an entirely different beast than live action. In Pixar's case, their core creative team is heavily involved with every aspect of creation, from writing to screening sequences, previz cuts, reworking the story, etc. so if you're going to credit Docter, etc with IO, you should also give him commensurate credit/blame for the Pixar movies you didn't like.

• Like 4

Animation is an entirely different beast than live action. In Pixar's case, their core creative team is heavily involved with every aspect of creation, from writing to screening sequences, previz cuts, reworking the story, etc. so if you're going to credit Docter, etc with IO, you should also give him commensurate credit/blame for the Pixar movies you didn't like.

well said

Think you're overstating your case a bit. Especially now with everyone working on their own projects (and Bird and Stanton being away from Pixar), it's hard for me to believe he had as much input on Cars 2 as he did on Up or Inside Out. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

Think you're overstating your case a bit. Especially now with everyone working on their own projects (and Bird and Stanton being away from Pixar), it's hard for me to believe he had as much input on Cars 2 as he did on Up or Inside Out.

I don't think he is overstating. 

• Like 1

But aren t big VFX heavy tentpoles done like animation these days ?

From what I can see from making-ofs, the similarities are uncanny.

Previz is the most unknown director of Hollywood these days. Always the same company, Third Floor.

Um, WOW. Absolutely incredible. Even if rth is off with the 31-35 estimate and JW gets $30 million Friday, that is STILL nuts.

And $30-32 million for Inside Out is friggin' incredible too. I love Pixar, so I'm super happy for them if this holds. And rth made it sound like he may be lowballing Inside Out - that it may actually go higher. I think Inside Out actually has a chance of being #1 this weekend based on this.

Two films over $100 million this weekend? Could be a reality!

Peace,

Mike

When I 1st looked IO early afternoon had it near TS3 so likes high 30's thought no way , same thought with JW last week early afternoon had it mid-high 70's though no way lowered it

JW just seeing if 30 is in play,

working this stuff out bad best times let alone trying to do it on mobile phones

• Like 14

I don't think he is overstating. 

Just can't see it. I mean, IO is Docter's passion project and he's been shepherding it from the moment he pitched it. You're really going to say he was just as involved on Cars 2 or Brave or even Monsters University?

• Like 2

When I 1st looked IO early afternoon had it near TS3 so likes high 30's thought no way , same thought with JW last week early afternoon had it mid-high 70's though no way lowered it

JW just seeing if 30 is in play,

working this stuff out bad best times let alone trying to do it on mobile phones

OMG 

IO can potentially hit $40m?!

JW needs to hit $30m.

But aren t big VFX heavy tentpoles done like animation these days ?

From what I can see from making-ofs, the similarities are uncanny.

Previz is the most unknown director of Hollywood these days. Always the same company, Third Floor.

Okay points, but the initial claim was so absurd it doesn't warrant your thought effort.