#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Lol guys.

Avatar had a very aggressive marketing campaign(i remember it) because the studio spent a fuckload on it.  It opened really high for an "original" film in December.  It actually took the December OW record at the time I think but don't care enough to double check.

Not quite, but close. It was 190k short of I Am Legend's December record.

Here's the BOM report on AVTR's OW.  As expected, it was a monster from the start, and as massive as its OW was, it was indeed muted by blizzards in the Northeast:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2632&p=.htm

"Massive amount of hype."

which is why Avatar was already 130m behind JW after the OW.  But JW is definitely a more deserving 600m grosser because no one gives a shit that JW opened 130m more than Avatar. It's only fair when we discount the OW's of both and only look at the competition afterwards.

:D

The past several pages were honestly spent trying to explain to somebody that IO is a bigger movie than 'Alvin and the Chipmunks 2' and that AVTR was not a modestly-budgeted indie movie with no ad budget.

Unbelievable.

lol Keep on twisting my words.

Where did I say that AATC II was a bigger movie than IO? I was talking about the combined grosses of AATC II and SH. I also never claimed that AVATAR didn't have a big budget. Where are you getting these things from? Your fanboyism blinds you.

I acknowledge JW is facing big competition. I know it will face bigger competition.

The reason why replied to you was just to tell you that it's wrong to say that AVATAR didn't have competition. If you can't not comprehend that, it's really not my problem anymore.

which is why Avatar was already 130m behind JW after the OW.  But JW is definitely a more deserving 600m grosser because no one gives a shit that JW opened 130m more than Avatar. It's only fair when we discount the OW's of both and only look at the competition afterwards.

:D

keep trying

lol Keep on twisting my words.

Where did I say that AATC II was a bigger movie than IO? I was talking about the combined grosses of AATC II and SH. I also never claimed that AVATAR didn't have a big budget. Where are you getting these things from? Your fanboyism blinds you.

I acknowledge JW is facing big competition. I know it will face bigger competition.

The reason why replied to you was just to tell you that it's wrong to say that AVATAR didn't have competition. If you can't not comprehend that, it's really not my problem anymore.

You've said so many crazy things - saying earlier November releases like 'Twilight' were competition for AVTR, saying little ol' AVTR had no "name recognition" or "brand awareness" - that I understand your desire to back away from your absurdities.

1). Jurassic World (UNI), 4,291 theaters (+17)/ $30.7M Fri. (-63%)/ 3-day cume: $106.8M (-49%)/Total Cume: $405.1M / Wk 2

2). Inside Out (DIS), 3,946 theaters / $32.8M Fri. / 3-day cume: $83M / Wk 1

3). Spy (FOX), 3,558 theaters (-157)/ $2.9M Fri. (-38%)/ 3-day cume: $9.7M (-38%) / Total cume: $73.7M / Wk 3

4). San Andreas (WB), 3,177 theaters (-358) / $2.1M Fri. (-34%) / 3-day cume: $7.3M (-33%) / Total cume: $131.2M/ Wk 4

5). Dope (OPRD), 2,002 theaters / $2.1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.9M / Wk 1

6). Insidious Chapter 3 (FOC), 2,553 theaters (-461)/ $1.4M Fri. (-46%) / 3-day cume: $4.2M (-43%) / Total cume: $45.5M / Wk 3

7). Pitch Perfect 2 (UNI), 2,146 theaters (-531) / $1.3M Fri. (-39%)/ 3-day cume: $3.9M (-39%)/ Total cume: $178M / Wk 6

8). Mad Max: Fury Road (WB), 1,424 theaters (-810) / $701K Fri. (-%) / 3-day cume: $2.5M (-38%) / Total cume: $143.3M / Wk 6

9). Avengers: Age of Ultron (DIS), 1,662 theaters (-494) / $615K Fri. (-42%) / 3-day cume: $2.3M (-38%) / Total cume: $448.9M / Wk 8

10). Entourage (WB), 1,304 theaters (-1,804) / $559K Fri. (-60%)/ 3-day cume: $1.7M (-59%) / Total cume: $29.4M/ Wk 3

1). Jurassic World (UNI), 4,291 theaters (+17)/ $30.7M Fri. (-63%)/ 3-day cume: $106.8M (-49%)/Total Cume: $405.1M / Wk 2

2). Inside Out (DIS), 3,946 theaters / $32.8M Fri. / 3-day cume: $83M / Wk 1

3). Spy (FOX), 3,558 theaters (-157)/ $2.9M Fri. (-38%)/ 3-day cume: $9.7M (-38%) / Total cume: $73.7M / Wk 3

4). San Andreas (WB), 3,177 theaters (-358) / $2.1M Fri. (-34%) / 3-day cume: $7.3M (-33%) / Total cume: $131.2M/ Wk 4

5). Dope (OPRD), 2,002 theaters / $2.1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.9M / Wk 1

6). Insidious Chapter 3 (FOC), 2,553 theaters (-461)/ $1.4M Fri. (-46%) / 3-day cume: $4.2M (-43%) / Total cume: $45.5M / Wk 3

7). Pitch Perfect 2 (UNI), 2,146 theaters (-531) / $1.3M Fri. (-39%)/ 3-day cume: $3.9M (-39%)/ Total cume: $178M / Wk 6

8). Mad Max: Fury Road (WB), 1,424 theaters (-810) / $701K Fri. (-%) / 3-day cume: $2.5M (-38%) / Total cume: $143.3M / Wk 6

9). Avengers: Age of Ultron (DIS), 1,662 theaters (-494) / $615K Fri. (-42%) / 3-day cume: $2.3M (-38%) / Total cume: $448.9M / Wk 8

10). Entourage (WB), 1,304 theaters (-1,804) / $559K Fri. (-60%)/ 3-day cume: $1.7M (-59%) / Total cume: $29.4M/ Wk 3

Already posted.

where is Tomorrowland?  Avengers jump seems very light.  Insidious may hang on for a few more weeks now.  not surprised by Entourage's jump.  SUrprised by Pitch Perfect still pulling in strong #s.  If Inside Out does not hurt it, then i suppose Ted 2 should have  no affect on PP2?  Spy should increase up to 3M by tomorrow morning.  it is seeing a somewhat light jump.  it is like there is one category of strong jumps for Mad Max, Entourage, Pitch Perfect, Insidious, and San Andreas.  and on the other side of moderate jumps is Spy, Jurassic World and Avengers.  Avengers should not be there!!  It had a per theater average of 200 during the weekdays and it jumps to 350 for Friday.  I have noticed these numbers at Deadline can go up ALOT.  i just wonder why they report 3 digit numbers to the thousandth place.  there should be a justification for this inaccuracy. 

Also someone may need to bring defibrillators to baumer, I think he died of shock.

Shock isn't the word. So help me if i have to watch all the Potters and CITIZEN FUCKING KANE I'm going PhilConnors in Grounding Day.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

Avatar was a much bigger deal when it got released then than JW was this year. Heck, JW wasn't even expected to be in the top 3 of this summer. :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

I wish you were on the old BOM forum and followed Avatar all the way. Avatar wasn't expected to break 200m by a lot of users. Even after the OW, the predictions were still conservetive. And then of cause Avatar kept surprising people every wknd and finally did the unthinkable.

JW is supposed to be in at least the top 2 of the year after the OW.

JW's mega success is a surprising, but you can't compare it to Avatar. Avatar's success is in the league with Titanic in terms of how it surprised the world.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

I wish you were on the old BOM forum and followed Avatar all the way. Avatar wasn't expected to break 200m by a lot of users even after the OW, the predictions were still conservetive. And of cause Avatar kept surprising people every wknd and finally did the unthinkable.

True. I remember people shitting on it when TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN opened, when 2012 opened, when THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON opened. And then AVATAR's second weekend happened. And the third. And the fourth... lol

• Like 1

I wish you were on the old BOM forum and followed Avatar all the way. Avatar wasn't expected to break 200m by a lot of users even after the OW, the predictions were still conservetive. And of cause Avatar kept surprising people every wknd and finally did the unthinkable.

Who didn't expect AVTR to crack 200m?  Name one reputable pundit (not a fanboy troll after the teaser trailer) who predicted this.