#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Just shut down the forum for about 6 months if it becomes obvious that is what's happening. Come back online once everyone has had a chance to chill out from the meltdown lol.

No waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Grab a six pack and a big ol sandwich and enjoy the hysteria  :lol:

• Like 1

GODZILLA was much better than JW.

Anything is better than Godzilla, that movie is the perfect combination of what not to do with how not to act with a little dash of "Why the hell do you keep cutting away?" added in. Once the movie got to San Francisco, they should have killed off ATJ AND his family (I really really really did not care anything about that subplot and they had served whatever little purpose they had in the movie) and focused solely on the Godzilla vs MUTOs fight.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

I preferred JP3 over LW for the same reason I preferred XMen3 over the first two: if you're going to be making a silly, over-the-top movie, I'd rather you just strip all pretense and dive in and have fun rather than cloak it in pretentious ideas.

JP and JW are in a world above those two, though.  It's not even a "franchise" in the normal sense.

I pretty much prefer JP3 to TLW as well, in spite of TLW probably being the better made film. I feel like JP3 is easier to watch though because as you said it just says "to hell with it" and goes way over the top stupid/silly. And it doesn't have a coma inducing first 45 minutes like TLW either. JP is in a league nearly all its own though. Top 3 best popcorn flicks ever for sure. I do have to vehemently disagree with anyone saying JW is anywhere near that level.

• Like 1

JW is more consistently entertaining. After Walter White is dead, do you care about the human characters?

No, but that's still one more human character in Godzilla that I did care about. JW had nothing.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 2

No, but that's still one more human character in Godzilla that I did care about. JW had nothing.

I was oddly fond of Irrfan Khan if only for his rad helicoptering skills.

But Godzilla was better for me. JW was mostly middling for me with a dash of stupid.

Edited by MrPink

When Star Wars is approaching I assume The Coon is going to make a comeback. Wonder if he'll be better about hiding his new accounts than Movie man.

That guy might have been the craziest poster we've ever had, btw. The Star Wars thread was just uncomfortable to read when he was around

• Like 5

Aw, that's cute. All of the sudden, right after Tele announces he despised the film, all the haters are jumping out saying "Yeah uh-huh I agree!"

Well, you haters can have an opinion. But please, keep your tears to yourself tomorrow when the second weekend record is announced ;)

• Like 1

I pretty much prefer JP3 to TLW as well, in spite of TLW probably being the better made film. I feel like JP3 is easier to watch though because as you said it just says "to hell with it" and goes way over the top stupid/silly. And it doesn't have a coma inducing first 45 minutes like TLW either. JP is in a league nearly all its own though. Top 3 best popcorn flicks ever for sure. I do have to vehemently disagree with anyone saying JW is anywhere near that level.

I guess you're right about JP.  It was very special.

I re-read the novel last year and it was amazing how they managed to deftly incorporate so many of the ideas into the movie.  This (among many other things) really gave JP so much credibility and narrative heft.  JP was nearly perfect (I just hated Laura Dern's acting as a kid, but as I'm older now I see her tryhard as endearing....but still a distraction). 

And judging by some of the points made right here about JW's narrative holes, as well as some other small issues, it doesn't belong on JP's pedestal, I suppose.  But almost nothing does.

Edited by DavidBrennan
  • Like 2

Aw, that's cute. All of the sudden, right after Tele announces he despised the film, all the haters are jumping out saying "Yeah uh-huh I agree!"

Well, you haters can have an opinion. But please, keep your tears to yourself tomorrow when the second weekend record is announced ;)

I'd like to think Gopher was the JW Hate Brigade pioneer. At least give the man his due.

• Like 1

I guess you're right about JP.  It was very special.

I re-read the novel last year and it was amazing how they managed to deftly incorporate so many of the ideas into the movie.  This (among many other things) really gave JP so much credibility and narrative heft.  JP was nearly perfect (I just hated Laura Dern's acting as a kid, but as I'm older now I see her tryhard as endearing....but still a distraction). 

And judging by some of the points made right here about JW's narrative holes, as well as some other small issues, it doesn't belong on JP's pedestal, I suppose.  But almost nothing does.

Raiders. Star Wars/ESB. That's about it, imo.