#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

This leads to a good question which I dont know if it has been discussed on this forum yet: which is a more surprising OW record breaker, TA1 or JW?

EASILY JW. Go back in time and an OW around 170-180M was discussed for Avengers in the weeks leading up to the release. That would have been enough to break the record. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

You're forgetting 3d, both would have been over 100M ;)

And are we just going to ignore the fact that fathers day gave a boost to this weekends grosses too?

if you said shrek2 weekend was just as impressive in 2004 i would go in the same bus with you:P but more impressive? really? yes we have 3D, but in 2004 people had more habit to go to cinema, tickets weren't a bang for the wallet as it is now for families. there wasn't a world economical crise, internet, blablabla...

There is always a lot of factors if we compare 2 different ages..

But i think this weekend is just as impressive as memorial day of 2004

A lot of people weren't even expecting Star Wars to top the year when we were all considering Avengers with around 550m to be the only contender. Now people suddenly have so much hope that this may beat 650m or at least come quite close to it?

Maybe...but I personally think anything above 550m + would be good for it and not at all a disappointment (and not just because of the lame reason "oh any movie that makes 550m can not be considered a disappointment" but because that would be actually big and more than a lot of people's pre-year expectations for it).

Edited by Infernus

Just have to see how it goes. TDK made 58.8% of its total gross in 10 days. Same thing for JP4 would mean $685m or so.

TDK first full weekday ($80,203,728)

JW first full weekday ($87,405,385)

TDK second full weekday ($37,305,169)

JW (I expect $48.5 to $49 million, 44% or so decline)

SW range is something like 400-850M at this point :lol:

We need SW7 to do either 300-400m, or 600 (or 650?) - 100000m, because that's how the entertianment can be maximized. With the former we can enjoy the big meltdown, and of cause with the latter we will enjoy yet another monster 600m+ grosser.

Anything between them is boring. :lol:

Edited by vc2002

Jurrasics week day numbers so far are pretty mind blowing. We are in the middle of June schools are still in. They don't get out here for another week or so.

Edited by baumer

I'm still trying to figure out why Avatar is being brought up. This movie doesn't need to pass Avatar or Titanic to be a success.

They could pull it out of theaters today and it still would've made more than most of us thought it would

Jurrasics week day numbers so far are pretty mind blowing. We are in the middle of June schools are still in. They don't get out here for another week or so.

Last week of School for New York. Big movie business location. Summer dailies get a lot better next week.

• Like 1

if you said shrek2 weekend was just as impressive in 2004 i would go in the same bus with you:P but more impressive? really? yes we have 3D, but in 2004 people had more habit to go to cinema, tickets weren't a bang for the wallet as it is now for families. there wasn't a world economical crise, internet, blablabla...

There is always a lot of factors if we compare 2 different ages..

But i think this weekend is just as impressive as memorial day of 2004

inflation is inflation. Cost of cinema tickets go up as well as salaries lol. This year just shows that people do go to the cinema if there's something worth watching. Shrek 2's 2nd weekend is just as impressive as Jw's, I agree with that but TDAT'S OW was more impressive than IO's opening ultimately making that weekend more impressive.

This leads to a good question which I dont know if it has been discussed on this forum yet: which is a more surprising OW record breaker, TA1 or JW?

Definitely JW for me.  TA's opening while stunning was predicted to be a monster (just not quite that large a monster).   JW's second weekend total was in line with what many were predicting.  

Not to mention, I think that is was relatively easy to predict that TA was going to open very well.   There had been four movies dedicated to building that universe, all of which where hits of varying degree's.  JW was coming off a 14 year hiatus where the last two sequels hadn't been that well received (in comparison to JP).  I just think it was far more difficult to predict how it was going to do.  I think any prediction between 50m to 150m was reasonable. 

Where is our Canada report from Lordmandeep?  :ph34r:

All theaters were empty for JW this weekend there. IO was selling out everywhere, because of course.

Or something like this :P

EDIT: Meanwhile Focus says the movie in reality didn't even make it to 77M this weekend (below Age of Ultron's 2nd weekend) and Universal fudge it to beat Avengers's 2nd weekend. The crumbling continues.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1