Bonenash

Tuesday Actuals: Jurassic World - 13.13M | Inside Out 13.04M

And, why are people bringing up Potter and LotR in speaking of Star Wars? If the markets were as expanded as they are now, Potter and LotR would've banked MUCH more OS as well. Hell, that's how The Hobbit with mixed WOM grossed more globally than Fellowship and Two Towers. And, that's how Deathly Hallows and other later Potter flicks in the series managed even more OS than earlier entries. You're essentially proving the point of members that believe Episode VII will make MUCH more OS than Revenge of the Sith.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

there was definitely some jokes aimed at adults for inside out. I know Pixar usually does this they have jokes for adults. But I definitely related to this story much more than anything else they have put out. I'm glad I enjoyed this one I can finally say that at least for this movie I am teteam pixar lol

Wait, you liked a Pixar film?

Welp, I've seen everything this summer. I'm half expecting Ted 2 to do a 100m OW now, because who knows what's going to happen.

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 2

watch Ted 2 open up to something ridiculous like 90 million now. Lol. It would just make sense seeing how crazy the box office has been there for the last 2 weeks.

Then Terminator does $80-85 million for its 5 day , Minions does $135-140 million OW, Ant-Man does $85-90 million OW, Pixels does $60-65 million OW, and MI5 does $75 million OW. Then Fantastic Four comes in to be a buzzkill.  :lol:

The whole month of July is looking to be gigantic. And I didn't even include the mid-level releases (XXL, Trainwreck, Paper Towns, Vacation), or the June holdovers (JW, IO, Ted 2) 

• Like 1

I know crazy isn't it? I liked a Pixar film. I could relate to the story and I can relate to the young girl as I went through a situation identical to hers when I was a little bit older than her. So being able to relate to a character and a story obviously means you're going to enjoy it much more.

• Like 3

Then Terminator does $80-85 million for its 5 day , Minions does $135-140 million OW, Ant-Man does $85-90 million OW, Pixels does $60-65 million OW, and MI5 does $75 million OW. Then Fantastic Four comes in to be a buzzkill. :lol:

The whole month of July is looking to be gigantic. And I didn't even include the mid-level releases (XXL, Trainwreck, Paper Towns, Vacation), or the June holdovers (JW, IO, Ted 2)

Fantastic Four will perform much better than Ant-Man

I know crazy isn't it? I liked a Pixar film. I could relate to the story and I can relate to the young girl as I went through a situation identical to hers when I was a little bit older than her. So being able to relate to a character and a story obviously means you're going to enjoy it much more.

It sucks it opens here in August.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 2

Fantastic Four will perform much better than Ant-Man

Not when Pixels, Ant-Man, MI5, Terminator and JW have all kept tentpole audiences well-satisfied the whole summer... could be $1.5 billion DOM between these 5. Not to mention Minions/IO satisfying families... another $700 million+ DOM. And Trainwreck/Vacation taking away adults... another $200 million+ DOM. Man From UNCLE the week after won't help it in its 2nd weekend, either. But I agree that a lack of competition after August 14th should help F4 hold up decent enough. However, it's going to suffer from tentpole fatigue as the last big release of the summer. I do think Ant-Man will do sub-$200 million DOM, but more $160-180 mlilion DOM. 

F4

$45 million OW 

$130 million DOM 

Solid enough, considering just how bad the first two FFs were. I could see TMNT numbers if Ant-Man and MI5 disappoint, though. 

August is the month when adult-oriented films do well. Which is why I'm much bigger on Compton than I am on F4. 

Edited by mahnamahna

Not when Pixels, Ant-Man, MI5, Terminator and JW have all kept tentpole audiences well-satisfied the whole summer... could be $1.5 billion DOM between these 5. Not to mention Minions/IO satisfying families... another $700 million+ DOM. And Trainwreck/Vacation taking away adults... another $200 million+ DOM. Man From UNCLE the week after won't help it in its 2nd weekend, either. But I agree that a lack of competition after August 14th should help F4 hold up decent enough. However, it's going to suffer from tentpole fatigue as the last big release of the summer. I do think Ant-Man will do sub-$200 million DOM, but more $160-180 mlilion DOM.

F4

$45 million OW

$130 million DOM

Solid enough, considering just how bad the first two FFs were. I could see TMNT numbers if Ant-Man and MI5 disappoint, though.

August is the month when adult-oriented films do well. Which is why I'm much bigger on Compton than I am on F4.

I expect Ant-Man to do less than 140M, I don't really expect Pixels to be massive breakout either.

The way I see it Fantastic Four will be the TMNT to M:I 5's Guardians of Galaxy

Father's Day and parents having jobs. Ratatouille and WALL-E had their first Mondays during July 4th week, so they're not accurate comps. Cars 2 had horrid WOM but also didn't open over FD. Cars 1 is so long ago that I wouldn't consider it an accurate comp either. Plus, it opened a week before IO, so summer weekdays weren't in full effect yet. 

TS3 is the best comparison. And I would say it held better than IO on its first Monday because of its immediate teen/adult appeal and slightly more weekend spillover. IO is something a lot of adults weren't actively seeking out and are just hearing about from other adults who went to see it with their kids. 

IO at the very least isn't going to be frontloaded. 3.75x at the least (TS3 level) to 5x (roughly Finding Nemo) at the maximum

Tuesday jump showed a stabilization by IO. I'm expecting a strong 2nd weekend around 57-60M for it. 

• Like 3

Tuesday jump showed a stabilization by IO. I'm expecting a strong 2nd weekend around 57-60M for it. 

Not sure I agree with that weekend number. A bad Monday and great Tuesday cancel each other out, but it will drop around 20% today. From there it ends up with a $46m weekend based on TS3's weekend vs. Wednesday multiplier. TS3 had a better Monday but dropped Tuesday, then had a strong Wednesday hold of only 11%.

I expect something in the low 50's for Inside Out weekend. Likewise with JP4. Ted 2 will probably hit 60 or higher.

Agreed, just saying animation in general benefits from Discount Tuesday more than other films (especially big live action films in IMAX with no discount).

Which is true but I just have feeling that IO's going to nip JW by Sunday. 57M+ vs. 56M.

• Like 1