baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

I watched 30 minutes of The Hangover, then I turned it off because it was dull I couldn't take it for another minute

:rofl:

You and your legendary awful taste continue to surprise me :lol: 

• Like 1

I watched 30 minutes of The Hangover, then I turned it off because it was dull I couldn't take it for another minute

The Hangover was awesome 

Hangover 2 - THE SAME THING

Hangover 3 - SAME THING AGAIN

• Like 1

I never got the "Ted 2 will be as big or outgross the first one! The first Ted was so beloved!" predictions. Ted was well-received but never developed much staying power on the public conscious after its theatrical run, and nothing about this sequel looked like it was taking the story to new places (other than a weird plot in which Ted has to prove he is real in court so that he can have a baby. That couldn't be the best they came up with, right? Because...yeesh!). Also, the first movie's overperformance was somewhat of a consequence of timing: Prometheus was fading quickly, and he live-action openers over the two weeks after that collectively bombed, so Ted took advantage of that thanks to a great marketing campaign. None of that materialized for the sequel.

That said, it's looking like it'll struggle to $100M, which is rough. Male-oriented comedies are just foundering this year in general, in large part due to the movies themselves looking devoid of actual laughs. Females (Pitch Perfect 2, Spy, Trainwreck) are claiming the comedy throne this year.

• Like 1

Hangover 2 was a cash-in sequel but the original Hangover was truly beloved. First time I saw that movie was on a flight between Houston and Paris with my sister. Both of us were laughing our asses off so much we probably pissed off the other people on the plane around us, haha. Hangover 1 is legendary comedy.

The tigers scene made me laugh the most, just for how ridiculous it was. The movie as a whole is ridiculous, but for all the right reasons. I don't think the sequels tainted the original at all, I just choose to ignore them. 

• Like 2

The Hangover was awesome 

Hangover 2 - THE SAME THING

Hangover 3 - SAME THING AGAIN

The Hangover 3 was actually pretty different. It was also a steaming pile of trash. 

Hangover 2 was a cash-in sequel but the original Hangover was truly beloved. First time I saw that movie was on a flight between Houston and Paris with my sister. Both of us were laughing our asses off so much we probably pissed off the other people on the plane around us, haha. Hangover 1 is legendary comedy.

The photo montage at the end nearly killed me ... I couldn t breathe ...

• Like 1

I never got the "Ted 2 will be as big or outgross the first one! The first Ted was so beloved!" predictions. Ted was well-received but never developed much staying power on the public conscious after its theatrical run, and nothing about this sequel looked like it was taking the story to new places (other than a weird plot in which Ted has to prove he is real in court so that he can have a baby. That couldn't be the best they came up with, right? Because...yeesh!). Also, the first movie's overperformance was somewhat of a consequence of timing: Prometheus was fading quickly, and he live-action openers over the two weeks after that collectively bombed, so Ted took advantage of that thanks to a great marketing campaign. None of that materialized for the sequel.

That said, it's looking like it'll struggle to $100M, which is rough. Male-oriented comedies are just foundering this year in general, in large part due to the movies themselves looking devoid of actual laughs. Females (Pitch Perfect 2, Spy, Trainwreck) are claiming the comedy throne this year.

Spy is actually having a weak performance compared to other McCarthy vehicles. 

• Like 1

But I didn't think people even knew that Seth McFarlane directed both films (GA of course)

Pretty sure they knew because half the time of the TV Spots of A Million Ways were composed of showing Ted and saying it was from the same creator ;)

But I didn't think people even knew that Seth McFarlane directed both films (GA of course)

His name was all over the marketing for both films. Unless someone was senile or easily forgets minor things, I'm pretty sure everyone knew that Seth McFarlane was involved with Ted and AMWTDITW.

Edited by Insidearcher
  • Like 1

Spy is actually having a weak performance compared to other McCarthy vehicles. 

Too bad, it s her best movie and it will become a classic in the action/comedy/spy spoof genre.

• Like 2

Now seriously this is disappointing because Ted is awesome and the marketing for the sequel looked great to me

The marketing was indeed good. However, no buzz at all. Haven't heard anyone that I know say "hey, I am going to see Ted 2"  

Just hasn't happened