baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

Universal takes a slight bump in the 2015 road to glory. Trainwreck should have a stronger performance. 

Trainwreck will probably open with less, but given it's budget and legs, it'll probably be more profitable for Universal in the long run. 

It was clear for the last week it wasn't going to break 50. Not hitting 40 though is surprising. I blame the lazy, lazy marketing canpaign that brought no new hook to a sequel. MacFarlane is falling fast out of the public spotlight.

The fact that they're going to court to argue what constitutes being persons (which mind you is some potentially deep stuff, not that the film treats it that way necessarily) isn't hook enough

It was clear for the last week it wasn't going to break 50. Not hitting 40 though is surprising. I blame the lazy, lazy marketing canpaign that brought no new hook to a sequel. MacFarlane is falling fast out of the public spotlight.

Even here, the fucking only place on Earth where A Million Ways had a good performance (it did the equivalent of 100M in America, something like 150000 tickets sold in total) Ted 2 is suffering a decrease. The first one sold 330000 tickets. This one will be incredibly lucky if it passes the 200000 tickets in total. They basically sold the movie on Ted is back and run with that. 

• Like 1

It's kind of amazing how three years ago it seemed like Seth MacFarlane was poised to become a major industry force and now nobody gives a shit.

So true. Kinda unbelievable. I think one of the big studios will still let him write and direct another one of his ideas, but if that bombs that is it. 

• Like 1

Maybe she didn't want to come back or Seth didn't feel like working around her pregnancy/writing it into the script.

I'm still shocked as hell Jackie and Kelso from that 70s show got engaged in real life and had a kid! :ph34r:

• Like 2

TED 2 

Rottentomatoes has spoken

45%

I guess thats it....

RT doesn't matter. Hangover 2 had a similar reception critically and look how much money that made.

Train wreck looks horrible

This is it guys. The movie looks great and the GA will see it. The Ethan seal of approval for a success. 

I am bumping my prediction to 36/128 right now. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 6

If Ted opens below 40m, even 100m DOM would be in danger. Yes, it will make profit with OS. But domestically, its a franchise killer.

To be fair, Ted 2 doesn't have any direct competition for the next 2.5 weeks. Terminator, Magic Mike and Minions shouldn't hurt it too much. It could drop 40-45% from a $35-40 million OW and then drop 35-40% again before it drops like a rock against Trainwreck. 

$100 million should happen... even if it's only $100-105 million DOM 

Ted 2 will fail to hit 100M. Considering how beloved the first was, it is a really strange case. It also seems to be under performing everywhere. 

No need to be doomsday quite yet  :lol: it could end up with a better weekend multi than the first Ted and get $43-45 million OW. And end up with a 2.8x-3x. $120-130 million DOM. 

Unless it drops over 50% over July 4th and over 45% against Minions, it should be able to just get across $100 million, even with a horrible 2.4x-2.5x 

I never got the "Ted 2 will be as big or outgross the first one! The first Ted was so beloved!" predictions. Ted was well-received but never developed much staying power on the public conscious after its theatrical run, and nothing about this sequel looked like it was taking the story to new places (other than a weird plot in which Ted has to prove he is real in court so that he can have a baby. That couldn't be the best they came up with, right? Because...yeesh!). Also, the first movie's overperformance was somewhat of a consequence of timing: Prometheus was fading quickly, and he live-action openers over the two weeks after that collectively bombed, so Ted took advantage of that thanks to a great marketing campaign. None of that materialized for the sequel.

That said, it's looking like it'll struggle to $100M, which is rough. Male-oriented comedies are just foundering this year in general, in large part due to the movies themselves looking devoid of actual laughs. Females (Pitch Perfect 2, Spy, Trainwreck) are claiming the comedy throne this year.

Ted 2 just didn't have a hook. The same thing will happen for Magic Mike XXL next week. Both were sequels to well-liked, but not universally beloved entries that didn't manage to get the entire original cast back. 

With $15 million Friday, I see $16 million Saturday and $12 million Sunday... $43 million OW. The lack of comedy competition until July 17th should help Ted 2 get a 2.5-2.7x. So $107 million-$118 million DOM. 

After Ted 2 underperforming and Spy not breaking out, I see either Trainwreck or Vacation doing $150 million+ DOM. One of the two will be a breakout hit. 

However, Ted 2's underperformance should leave enough room for Terminator to exceed expectations. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1