baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

Would you like to explain Ted's decrease then?

There are tons of explanations for it, as there are for HTTYD2. But the comparison between both are laughable. One's a family film that appeals to all quadrants, that's genuinely loved years after its release and which spawned an animated TV show which, in thesis, would've expanded its fanbase. The other is an R-rated film with a very specific brand of humor that relied mainly on pop culture references that has lost its prestige (if it ever had it in the first place) in the years since its release. Just compare Ted's and HTTYD's scores on Letterboxd. So no, this doesn't compare to HTTYD2 in terms of unexpected sequel drops. A lot of people sensed Ted 2 was in danger. HTTYD2, on the other hand, was predicted by many to be Summer's highest grosser. 

There are tons of explanations for it, as there are for HTTYD2. But the comparison between both are laughable. One's a family film that appeals to all quadrants, that's genuinely loved years after its release and which spawned an animated TV show which, in thesis, would've expanded its fanbase. The other is an R-rated film with a very specific brand of humor that relied mainly on pop culture references that has lost its prestige (if it ever had it in the first place) in the years since its release. Just compare Ted's and HTTYD's scores on Letterboxd. So no, this doesn't compare to HTTYD2 in terms of unexpected sequel drops. A lot of people sensed Ted 2 was in danger. HTTYD2, on the other hand, was predicted by many to be Summer's highest grosser.

Using Letterboxed? lol

The GA loves Ted, I can not name a more popular comedy among my generation (except maybe 21/22 Jump Street) , with HTTYD2 its a little bit easier to explain because the marketing campaign stunk but with Ted 2 its nothing but perplexing.

Edited by Ethan Hunt

HTTYD2 is still perplexing, yes, but at the same time has plenty of logical possible explanations in retrospect:

- Marketing that didn't get people thinking " I gotta see this"

- Comedy sells better than action with animated family films, and there weren't enough comedy or Hiccup/Toothless "buddy" moments in the movie to make that the focus of the marketing (contrast with the campaign for Big Hero 6)

- TV series decreased the "must-see" factor

- Competition from 22 Jump Street took away crossover demographics

- OW possibly further hit by the USA still being in the World Cup at the time (though not to anywhere the degree that MayPac hurt AoU's first Saturday)

- Didn't develop very good legs after OW due to WOM among GA parents that the film was too dark/scary/sad

Ted 2 will probably follow a similar trajectory of mixed GA WOM off of a lower-than-expected OW, but it's not the same kind of shock - HTTYD2 also had amazing reviews, Ted 2 didn't.

Edited by TServo2049

You guys haven't even seen Ted 2. The critics are waaay off with this one. So much funnier than the first movie.

nah, the first one is much better.  This one had moments but that's about it

I'm a little shocked that Ethan thinks most comedies suck.  If I may, can I recommend some for you?  This is serious.

Try watching the original Porky's.  The humour transcends age and generation imo.

Try Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  I too think humour is transcendental. Sure,it might look like the 80's but the humour is pretty funny.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is excellent.

Have you seen Back to the Future?

• Like 4

I'm a little shocked that Ethan thinks most comedies suck.  If I may, can I recommend some for you?  This is serious.

Try watching the original Porky's.  The humour transcends age and generation imo.

Try Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  I too think humour is transcendental. Sure,it might look like the 80's but the humour is pretty funny.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is excellent.

Have you seen Back to the Future?

Ethan is the person who thinks Taken 3 is on the same level as the first Taken and that Taken 2 is his favorite. He is lost.

• Like 2