CJohn

Terminator: Genisys (2015)

Terminator Genisys  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

And the script apparently got excellent reviews a while back. Go figure.

Weren't the bulk of those glowing script reviews from Schwarzenegger fan sites? Go figure as well.

Latino Review also stated a while back that there were positive test screenings. Go figure one more time.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

One thing is certain, we are thinking about this a lot more than the writers did.

The writers have no idea what the hell is happening in that movie, I am 100% sure.

They should have borrowed the blackboards off the set of Interstellar and mapped the shit out of these timelines.

Do not go gentle into......

Sorry, it's a Pavlovian response.

"not as horrible as I expected"

​At this point, this should be in the thread title.

ooh low expectations

people will rewacth this film with "it isn't that bad" expectations and they will see how truly terrible the movie is.

• Like 1

Liked the movie, it isn't great but it is a pretty fun time and much better than the utter vitriol being levied at it here. There are major logic issues like have been brought up by users here, one thing that stood out to me was the time travel to 2017. Why arrive literally a day before Skynet/Genisys goes live? It is time travel, you know it goes live in October, arrive in May and hang around for 5 months making plans, or even blow stuff up early instead of making it a literal last minute thing - this is only the extinction of the human race you are preventing after all.

The post credits made no sense, and should have actually been mid-credits with a stylized cast list presentation followed by the scene followed by proper credits.

The time travel becomes way too convoluted, how many timelines are there? 

Emilia Clarke was funny everytime she tried to be serious. Jai Courtney was actually pretty good, but he should not do voiceovers. Jason Clarke looked miscast as post-apocalypse Jesus. Disappointed that Matt Smith had very little screentime. Arnold was awesome.

The marketing team must seriously be fired for the shit marketing and spoilery trailers they put out. The hospital scene is actually shot in such a way as to make us think Arnold's programming made him kill John Connor before the twist is shown. This is basically a T2 level twist spoiled in the trailers like the T2 twist was as well.

Based on some of the scathing opinions on this board, I was not expecting much.  I was pleasantly surprised.  While not a "great" or "memorable" movie by any stretch, it worked as a fun summer action flick for me.  I would give this a 7 out of 10.  Of course I watched Ted 2 immediately following TG and in comparison TG seemed like a magnificent cinematic marvel, a stunning beacon of hollywood moviemaking . . . but I'll review Ted 2 later in the appropriate thread.

I thought the first 15-20 minutes of the movie was excellent.  The nuclear annihilation was portrayed very emotionally.  The younger Kyle Reese almost being terminated had some true tension.  The battle against Skynet by the humans were all eye catching endeavors.  I thought both Clarkes did well in their roles.  Jason did better bringing forth a terminator who could exhibit both emotion when needed (including occasional outburst) and then be cold and emotionless at other times.  Sarah didn't seem written to be too deep or powerful so Emilia was serviceable.  I'm not sure she could have pulled off much more and she didn't steal any scenes but I can't say she did a bad job with what she was given.  J.K. Simmons was the most compelling character and its too bad he didn't get more screen time.  Arnold was . . . Arnold.  What can you say?  He owns the role and I think is a much better actor than he needs to be to fill this character (though he wasn't back when the series started).  

The weaknesses of the film were Jai Courtney who felt as emotionless as Arnold despite the fact that he was NOT playing an emotionless robot.  The chemistry between Kyle and Sarah was non-existent.  Emilia might have stood out more had she been paired with a better actor to interact with.  I did not see Sparticus or Die Hard 26 (or whatever it was that he was in) so I gave him the benefit of the doubt going in.  But wow . . . what a dreadful performance.  Jai Courtney reminds me of that old football description - "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".  He looks the role but has no ability.

The other weakness of the film was the plot itself.  Is it me or are they all the same?  As much as l love the first two movies . . . I just don't see how you can continuously have movies that are essentially mimicking each other with a slight twist.  Though I appreciate the myriad of twists they put in this movie to try and alleviate this . . . its still a humans vs terminator or humans/terminator vs better terminator movie.  I'm not sure there's much that can be done to this series to save it because when all is said and done . . . we've simply seen it all before.

Who sent a T-1000 back to kill young Sarah Conner at the lake? Skynet, Sarah was still set to have John. While John was still going to end the war on the machines. Before they could turn him into a Terminator. Thanks to John memories they know have a way to find Sarah pre 1984.

Who sent Arnie back to save her? That's the mind unanswered question in the movie and the main characters don't know yet either.  They went over the topic to basically tell the audience this will be explained in a later movie.

How was Arnie able to kill a T-1000 when he saved young Sarah at the lake? No he was just able to stop/delay T-1000 enough. So him and Sarah could get away. He probably used that rocket and his pieces spread in the water.

Why could Arnie build a functioning time machine pre-1984 but John Conner of 2017 hasn't yet? Arnold has it in his files how to build one. John could build one too. But that wasn't his purpose. John was sent by Skynet  in 2014 to help create Skynet little by little. That's why he was working with the Dysons and helping them develop stuff. So basically when one of those guys got suck on something he would help them out. Remember he's a infiltration unit and his goal was to gain everyone's trust. So everyone would welcome Genisys with welcome arms and Skynet could take over the world. If John just showed up out of the blue and created everything for them. It would have looked way to fishy and he wouldn't have gotten the same amount of trust.

How does John Conner even exist if Sarah and Kyle have yet to do the deed? Well let's not forget John is basically dead and no longer human. He doesn't have a heart or human brain or anything anymore. The Nao-bots virus consumed his body and copied his memories, feelings and his thoughts. They did that to a John Connor from a timeline who did exist. Which is why his memories are all from the original timeline. Then had this machine travel to this new alternative timeline to ensure that Judgment Day still happens. There is no actual John Connor in this alternative timeline. Just a machine copied version of a alternative timeline John Connor.

It is possible the T-1000 in the early 70's and the one in 1984 are the same one. Did they say they destroyed the one in the 70's. Maybe it couldn't find Sarah and waited till a point in time where it could re-acquire her again through the arrival of Kyle Reese.

That's exactly it. Why else would there be another T-1000? Both Guardian T-800 and T-1000 were using these moments to strike. That is also how they knew to set a trap for the T-1000 to kill it. They knew he would be go after Reese and they planned on him following them to that spot.

How about this deus ex machina explanation:

The Matt Smith character is the embodiment of Skynet and has somehow evolved into an interdimensional time jumper where he can fuck up timelines without any harm done to himself.

Edited by Jay Beezy

Okay.  Let's try and figure this out.

We don't know who sent the two terminators back to the 70's, but the bigger question is why would they?

Because at this point, doesn't Skynet need John Connor?  Why kill him if they need him?

There is zero reason to do that except to try and do weird shit.

What Skynet has isn't really John Connor. It's a machine that was made from John Connor from a previous timeline. It's not like he's human anymore or a heart or brain or human origins. It's a computer that copied this thoughts memories, feelings and the way he thinks and acts. John not alive and doesn't exist in this timeline. He's just a machine created from John of in a alternative timeline. That's why when he get's shot. He says wow that hurts. Then goes on to say is that pain I feel? Or just a memory from when I was less... So Kyle and Sarah and both die and there John Connor T-3000 Terminator can still exist.

Edited by gb0708

Did everyone forget that Sarah and Arnold needed a Terminator Neural Net Processor to run the time machine, something that John didn't exactly have handy in 2017?

True, and that's also why they had to wait until 1984 to time travel.

How about explanation:

The Matt Smith character is the embodiment of Skynet and has somehow evolved into an interdimensional time jumper where he can fuck up timelines without any harm done to himself.

I take that as Skynet becoming even more self aware. I don't think he can just time jump anywhere without doing harm to himself. He really only jumped to 2029 original timeline. After the course of events have repeated themselves over and over again. If he was able to just jump anywhere. He would have went to the past and created Judgment Day on his own. Instead he changed John Connor into a machine and sent him back in time to create him in this timeline.

If anything, this movie showed how visionary the first movie was.

It was the year of the first Mac and Windows was just coming too ...

Cameron knew his stuff.

I mean in 1984, who knew that a global network was gonna connect every human being on the planet to each other ?

When did the first computer networks started ? Universities and the Army in the 70's ? 60's ?

• Like 1

What Skynet has isn't really John Connor. It's a machine that was made from John Connor from a previous timeline. It's not like he's human anymore or a heart or brain or human origins. It's a computer that copied this thoughts memories, feelings and the way he thinks and acts. John not alive and doesn't exist in this timeline. He's just a machine created from John of in a alternative timeline. That's why when he get's shot. He says wow that hurts. Then goes on to say is that pain I feel? Or just a memory from when I was less... So Kyle and Sarah and both die and there John Connor T-3000 Terminator can still exist.

If you create an alternate timeline from a point in the past, all remnants of the original timeline in the future cease to be. John Connor cannot exist without Kyle and Sarah fornicating therefore he is unavailable to be turned by Skynet.

Explained in Back to the Future 2: You try travelling to the future to prevent something from the future from going to the past that created an alternate timeline, you end up travelling to the future of that alternate timeline.

Edited by Jay Beezy