Mojoguy

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals: IO 29.77, JW 29.24, TG 27.02, | IO Wins Weekend!

In fairness comedies generally get awesome reactions in theaters. Many here were talking about how people went crazy over the Ted 2 trailers in front of JW. 

I can't make up my mind about Minions. I think 90m is the floor for its opening, but some have said 150m and I just don't know who that audience can be. The first two movies had some appeal to adults and this one seems like strictly a kids-dragging-their-parents affair. Maybe I'm at a point where the marketing campaign feels like noise to me. 

I figure it will go over 100 but I doubt 150. I'm thinking in the 110-120 area. 150 seems very difficult for animated movies to reach with fewer adult prices and no IMAX. I would guess it will at least have some boost from PLF (premium large format) since the theaters are bound to use those larger auditoriums to accommodate demand.

There's nothing special about that number, anyway the best target would be Titanic domestic.

Baumer was just kidding you know?

and concerning the last posts about "who wins the WE" just :

3168190-triple-facepalm-76680723777.jpg

So JW still has Japan left.  It's at 1.385 billion.  Looks like it has at least another 100 mill domestically and probably 100 mill internationally without  Japan.  So 1.6 billion looks assured.  Can it hit 1.7 billn?

If it turns out doing as you predict, it'll end up at $1.585b (1.385 + 0.1 + 0.1) without Japan. The only way it could possibly get to $1.7b then is if it over-performs in Japan and makes about $115m there which might be very hard. But even if it makes $40-50m in Japan it should still get to $1.63b comfortably. 

I'd love to see it make $1.7b ww but I'd be happy if it makes more than JP + TLW combined! ($1.647 billion)

I understand what Ethan is saying. He means that he is glad that JW is coming down with estimates. He's not happy IO is coming down with estimates, but he's happy it will be number 1 over JW.

he's a good guy! now we know what he meant but when he replied on me that wasn't clear:P

i'd prefer IO win with better results than estimates not the other way:( this weekend was damn awful.

I figure it will go over 100 but I doubt 150. I'm thinking in the 110-120 area. 150 seems very difficult for animated movies to reach with fewer adult prices and no IMAX. I would guess it will at least have some boost from PLF (premium large format) since the theaters are bound to use those larger auditoriums to accommodate demand.

Yeah, just got off the phone with our booking agent and we have Minions in IDX and DBOX, taking both away from Termynator:Genisys.

I have 29.3 for IO and 28.8 for JW  :ph34r:

Tbh, IO could win, but at least both could have stayed over 30M. That is embarrassing. 4th of July is a shit time to release a movie if the holiday falls during the weekend. 

Did Saturday or Friday also drop for both? Yeesh. July 4th is becoming a shitty time for the box office. Used to not be this way.

They all dropped: 

JW: 11.7 - 8.4 - 8.7 

IO: 12.4 - 8.06 - 8.8 

It's funny, whenever 7/4 is a weekday box office is nuts and whenever it's a weekend it's dead. Weird phenomenon. Either way both films should recover throughout the week and over the weekend despite Minions. 

Terminator: 26.44

MMXXL: 12.69

Ted 2: 11

Max: 6.51

Spy: 5.07

• Like 3

They all dropped: 

JW: 11.7 - 8.4 - 8.7 

IO: 12.4 - 8.06 - 8.8 

It's funny, whenever 7/4 is a weekday box office is nuts and whenever it's a weekend it's dead. Weird phenomenon. Either way both films should recover throughout the week and over the weekend despite Minions. 

Terminator: 26.44

MMXXL: 12.69

Ted 2: 11

Max: 6.51

Spy: 5.07

Good stuff, Gopher. I think we all somewhat expected the number to be deflated this weekend due to past weekends in which the 4th fell on a Saturday. The box office will correct itself accordingly over the next week, etc.

And also....WOW!

IO is at $246M on it's 3rd weekend while Frozen was at $134M on it's 3rd weekend.

Frozen's first five days of release were limited to a single theater. So... That's incredibly misleading. Check boxofficemojo for further details http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=frozen2013.htm

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

Tbh, IO could win, but at least both could have stayed over 30M. That is embarrassing. 4th of July is a shit time to release a movie if the holiday falls during the weekend. 

next year 4th july is on monday, at least we wont have another on saturday till 2020! monday is good day for the business at least!

And also....WOW!

IO is at $246M on it's 3rd weekend while Frozen was at $134M on it's 3rd weekend.

Frozen was winter though and its 2nd and 3rd weekends fell in the first two weeks of December, which are usually lousy BO wise. Also, Frozen had to contend with real life snowstorms in December 2013. Ironically. :P 

• Like 1

Good stuff, Gopher. I think we all somewhat expected the number to be deflated this weekend due to past weekends in which the 4th fell on a Saturday. The box office will correct itself accordingly over the next week, etc.

Either that or it's going to stay down while people save their money for Minions later this week. Hopefully we see some good numbers Monday through Wednesday.