CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Shrek 2 is the quietest mega ticket seller on the all-time list. Didn't get anywhere near the fanfare or media attention as other films that sold fewer tickets like The Dark Knight or Avengers or the first Spider-Man.

It's 2nd weekend adjusts to $94m which is easily top 3-4 all time. 33%!!!! Drop going against day after tomorrow!

• Like 1

I don't think merchandising in itself is what annoys people. If the minions were in good films I think people would be very much ok with it.

DM1-2 were solid enough... just good enough for kids movies. 

Minions is mediocre, but if it were a solid spinoff with enough for teens/adults to enjoy, I wouldn't mind it. 'Cash grabs' aren't bad, but some effort needs to be put into them. 

It's 2nd weekend adjusts to $94m which is easily top 3-4 all time. 33%!!!! Drop going against day after tomorrow!

And that is without 3D.

I wonder how the mojo forums reacted to the first 2 days gross and then the rest of the run.

All I said is it won't be highest grossing animated movie and animated movie OW. None of those have happened yet, so don't know why you are gloating already. :lol:

Both will inevitably happen and I want this moment to last as long as possible :P Star Wars not meeting expectations is next. Yep, I'm evil.

• Like 1

We're doing pretty good business so far. I'm on cart all day and I'm only doing Minion shows and I've already sold 87 hot dogs!

We're doing pretty good business so far. I'm on cart all day and I'm only doing Minion shows and I've already sold 87 hot dogs!

Is it possible for it to get a $50m Friday (counted previews)?

Yeah true, still nutty.

One of these years I want to see a mega sequel open on Memorial Day weekend again or even this newly found monster Father's Day weekend. Imagine if JP4 opened Father's Day weekend instead of the weekend before. If I remember right, the opening Sunday had a NBA Finals game as competition. On Father's Day during the second weekend it dropped under 2%.

JP2 in 1997 gave us a glimpse of what one of these huge sequels could do opening on Memorial Day weekend. I'd like to see it in the modern era though with expanded theater/screen counts, IMAX, 3D, inflation, all that jazz.

Shrek 2, Forrest Gump and Home Alone are probably the most oddball of the films to hit the all-time top 5 unadjusted. Not just because they're films you wouldn't expect to have made as much as they did/sold as many tickets as they did, but because their reputation 10+ years later doesn't seem to match with their performance.

Yep. No artistic integrity in Minions. Took them two weeks to make it.

And they were designed by corporate mandate, not to mention that the plot was sketched out in 5 minutes on the back of a cocktail napkin.

• Like 1

So bumping this five pages late is probably completely unnecessary, but the only reason Creed is happening is because Coogler (and Jordan) went to MGM with the idea for this movie. I have no doubt this passion is gonna translate to quality That's the dream situation, obviously, but having a passionate director with an idea come to YOU to revitalize/continue the franchise (as I think Rian Johnson might have done with Episode 8, IIRC) rather than plugging in whatever young, just happy-to-be there white dude you can best control would no doubt assure better movies, which USUALLY leads to more money, more merch, and more strength. But the MCU model has worked so swimmingly for Disney that other studios seem afraid to give smart young directors creative control, even though Nolan's Batman movies showed how important that can be. 

I feel Gareth Edwards was given the same control over Godzilla. And, before him, Jackson over Lord Of The Rings and Cuaron with Prisoner Of Azkaban. Not to mention, Raimi seemed to essentially do what he wanted with Spidey. Ang Lee with The Hulk as well. And, no doubt, I totally agree with you.

• Like 1