CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

I don't think I've seen an animation movie since Shrek 2.  Funnily enough, its still the biggest animation movie ever.

In terms of the theater? Same here. Finding Nemo and Shrek 2 were the last ones I've seen. And those are the biggest animation ticket sellers of the 2000's by a big margin.

Who said anything about Minions OW being bad? Just a bit surprising it couldn't break the record given this level of marketing, hype, and the status of the box office this summer. It's basically doing what DM2 would have done with a Friday opening though, so it's still a fantastic retention.

IO seems to play better at night, so it could still recover a bit, but at this point. Either way, a drop over 50% seems inevitable.

We just sold out our biggest theater for the first time all day - at 7:00. So this might be staying a lot stronger at night than they projected.

• Like 2

The five stages of this thread, by a Minion-hater:

37-43 for Minions today (including previews).

tumblr_nr2hbd6acq1ua6fkmo1_250.gif

Too early to call on IO/JW but they're both being hit pretty hard.  

tumblr_np4xa8gsDj1u8zsalo1_500.gif

Minions thinking 38.5-41 atm Deadline I think has been given 40-42 

tumblr_nocuhzDA5k1u8zsalo1_500.gif

Gallows 3.5-4, Selfless under 2m

tumblr_nl2hm29caJ1u5y5r6o1_500.gif

IO taken big hit for now 3.4-4, JP4 3.8-4.5

giphy.gif

• Like 13

Why did BO quote me then?

Hmmm, just noticed now he quoted you. But I am pretty sure he said in this thread somewhere Minions was on the biggest screen. Not sure now.

Does the 37-42M Friday number include the previews? It seems kind of low if it does (only 6M over IO? Really?)

(Nevermind, just saw that it does. Minions doesn't have a chance at beating Shrek 3's record if it only does $40M on Friday)

Edited by Icicle