CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

I actually recall Shrek 1 having a lot bigger pop culture impact than Shrek 2, ironically enough. I remember friends quoting that movie incessantly for awhile. Though admittedly that may have something to do with me being 11 when Shrek came out and a teenager when Shrek 2 did.

1994 just happened to have two additions to the 75m first run admissions club. But that's a very elusive club. So much so that even the monster hit Shrek 2 likely isn't a member. So yeah, TLK was massive. I was 4 during its run, so not like I can really objectively recall just how big it was then, suffice it to say I know there was TLK merch everywhere and that it was a pop culture phenomenon like Frozen was. That much I do remember. Shrek 2 was huge, but in a lot of ways its success kind of stayed at the box office. I don't recall abundant toys, tie ins, and everyday pop culture infiltration at the time.

The Disney Renaissance hype was at an all time high after Aladdin though. TLK needed to come immediately after Mermaid, BatB and Aladdin to become that much of a cultural zeitgeist. All four movies were insanely big when it came to merch and tv/straight to video spin-offs. 

Despite all that, Shrek 2 feels forgotten. 

Time is the ultimate judge, but I feel like we are losing some of that. Would a box office flop like Shawshank be given the chance to thrive after leaving theaters with today's audiences? Wizard of Oz was also a flop at the box office and is now a national treasure. I wonder if the same can even happen today due to everyone's short attention spans.

• Like 1

No doubt IMHO. Shrek 2 didn't get the fanfare from the media because it wasn't shattering all of the "opening" records, but it piled up a huge admission count.

Not only it was huge, but its OW (along with Shrek 3's), in admissions, is far far away the biggest of the animation realm...

Not only it was huge, but its OW (along with Shrek 3's), in admissions, is far far away the biggest of the animation realm...

Indeed. The average of its 3-day and 5-day opening was $118m. That adjusts to $155m today (without even putting in a little extra for 3D).

I actually recall Shrek 1 having a lot bigger pop culture impact than Shrek 2, ironically enough. I remember friends quoting that movie incessantly for awhile. Though admittedly that may have something to do with me being 11 when Shrek came out and a teenager when Shrek 2 did.

Shrek 2 had a considerably weaker reception than the first, despite the enormous box office. I seem to remember Shrek 2 disappointing in home video sales despite selling something like 40 million. Which kind of goes to show just how massive Shrek 1 was on home video, I believe #3 behind Lion King and Titanic (feel free to suggest otherwise, I'm basing this off my memory from 10+ years ago).

1994 just happened to have two additions to the 75m first run admissions club. But that's a very elusive club. So much so that even the monster hit Shrek 2 likely isn't a member. So yeah, TLK was massive. I was 4 during its run, so not like I can really objectively recall just how big it was then, suffice it to say I know there was TLK merch everywhere and that it was a pop culture phenomenon like Frozen was. That much I do remember. Shrek 2 was huge, but in a lot of ways its success kind of stayed at the box office. I don't recall abundant toys, tie ins, and everyday pop culture infiltration at the time.

...just as it should be. No need to throw in our faces all the merchandising crap we see from the biggest animations movies from today ;)

Time is the ultimate judge, but I feel like we are losing some of that. Would a box office flop like Shawshank be given the chance to thrive after leaving theaters with today's audiences? Wizard of Oz was also a flop at the box office and is now a national treasure. I wonder if the same can even happen today due to everyone's short attention spans.

The Hurt Locker has probably ended up one of the more viewed modern BP winners in spite of being the lowest grossing ever. Sure it's mainly due to its huge illegal downloading/streaming rate, but plenty have seen it now despite the theatrical run. Pitch Perfect was a huge post-theater movie, as evidenced by the massive sequel increase at the BO. Hits after the theater can still happen I think.

How did JW jumped over IO like that?

It always gets the higher increase on weekends since IO's release.(excluding fourth of July weekend since that's different). IO gets the higher friday but JW gets the higher Saturday and Sunday.

Indeed. The average of its 3-day and 5-day opening was $118m. That adjusts to $155m today (without even putting in a little extra for 3D).

Shrek 3 would have broken the OW record if released one year before, and made history (biggest OW is an animation).

Been a long time since I watched either of the Shrek movies. Thing I most remember about Shrek 2 was the OJ Simpson joke with the white Bronco. lol

Haven't seen them in a long time either (and I never will willingly see 3 again), but the first is one of those permanently ingrained in my memory movies. Saw it way too many times back in the day.

Shrek 2 had a considerably weaker reception than the first, despite the enormous box office. I seem to remember Shrek 2 disappointing in home video sales despite selling something like 40 million. Which kind of goes to show just how massive Shrek 1 was on home video, I believe #3 behind Lion King and Titanic (feel free to suggest otherwise, I'm basing this off my memory from 10+ years ago).

Correct. Shrek sold over 50 million home video units. Shrek 2 eventually sold around 40 million units leading to "disappointment".

• Like 2

Titanic was a rare film that i saw with my 73 year old grandmother, my 50 year old mom, my girlfriend and my best friend who is male. We both bought the soundtrack and the Back to Titanic 2nd soundtrack. Its such a rare film. One that made most people feel something. Theres never been anything like before or since.

• Like 1