CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

I didn't say it was weird, I said it was appropriate given the antics of both fanbases on this forum and elsewhere on the Internet. :)

+1

Antics is just about the right word for it.

The desperation of some Pixar loonies having to come out almost on the hour and degrade Minions, its WOM and appeal is pathetic but entertaining.  :P

Some of them have been at it against DW and other animation studios as well for a long time. 

One has to be extremely insecure in their personal lives to hope for non-pixar to fail/underperform all the time. Geez.  :lol:

Edited by jb007
  • Like 3

This will be more front loaded than the typical animation, because it had an immediate rush factor and the WoM is kinda meh (maybe) I would not be surprised if this had under a 3x multi

After all, you have been right about everything else so far regarding Minions!

• Like 5

+1

Antics is just about the right word for it.

The desperation of some Pixar loonies having to come out almost on the hour and degrade Minions, its WOM and appeal is pathetic but entertaining.  :P

Some of them have been at it against DW and other animation studios as well for a long time. 

One has to be extremely insecure in their personal lives to hope for non-pixar to fail/underperform all the time. Geez.  :lol:

+1

Less than a 3x isn't likely but certainly possible.

Look at Shrek the Third... similar OW, similar reviews, similar anticipation, 2.6x. 

I could see $325-335 million, if it gets a 50-55% 2nd weekend drop, and another 45-50% drop for its 3rd weekend. 

Is it likely? no. But Minions is definitely not locked for a 3x+. Especially when it dropped from its actual Fri to Sat. 

It's just 1 million difference between Fri and Sat, and a very good Sun drop!

Too early to tell

It's just the populace here.  They expect all animated films to be written by William Shakespeare and appeal to adults.  God forbid a kids film is just aimed for kids.  

So, more Oogieloves? No thanks.

Minions is neither a bomb nor a flop. It is performing well at the box office. None of this contradicts the view that it's a bad movie, though. I'm not expecting Shakespeare, but even a children's movie should make me chuckle here and there.

Minions is just bad. If not for DM1 and DM2, this movie's total gross would have been less than what it made opening weekend. I think it will damage the franchise going forward.

Illumination and Pixar fans have nothing to complain about. IO dropped 40% against Minions, they're coexisting just fine and they'll both make it to 350m.

Better news for Pixar fans, however, in that for the first time this isn't their only 2015 player...

• Like 2

Illumination and Pixar fans have nothing to complain about. IO dropped 40% against Minions, they're coexisting just fine and they'll both make it to 350m.

Better news for Pixar fans, however, in that for the first time this isn't their only 2015 player...

Pixar plus dinosaurs...

Interesting read at Forbes: Why Minions' Box Office Blow Out is Good for Culture

They are true original pop culture sensations in a pop culture that seems to be run on generational nostalgia. We all know that at least some of this recycling is both stemming from a misplaced presumption that what was hip yesterday will still be hip tomorrow. 

In an era when so much of our entertainment capital is geared towards youth-skewing fantasy films and so many of those fantasy products are based on characters that entertained kids of previous generations and seem almost targeted toward those same kids now as adults, Minions stands out as something of a near-miracle. The characters known as the Minions are just five-years-old, are wholly original cinematic creations, and were created specifically to entertain and amuse the current generation of children. The Minions aren’t for you dear adult, they are for your kids.  I may not find Minions as hilarious as my daughter did but (without passing judgment on thoughtful adult moviegoers who enjoyed the film), I rather take comfort in that fact.

The kids of today, my daughter, my nieces, and all of our respective youngsters, need pop-culture icons of their own, ones created today for the kids of today rather than subsisting of rebooting or recycled versions of our heroes. If for that reason alone, I applaud and celebrate the massive success of Minions.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/07/13/the-minions-box-office-blow-out-is-good-for-our-kids-good-for-our-culture/

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

Ugh, I want IO to win because too many mediocre movies have won this year ( F7, AOU, JW, PP2 ... ).

I want a good film to win for a change.

So IO doesn't win unless it makes more than Minions?

I already consider it a huge win, just with what it's made up to now. Whether Minions tops it or not, does not diminish from that movie's accomplishment.

• Like 2

So IO doesn't win unless it makes more than Minions?

I already consider it a huge win, just with what it's made up to now. Whether Minions tops it or not, does not diminish from that movie's accomplishment.

EXACTLY!! 100%.