grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 hours ago, salvador-232 said:

Chilean presales are bad, like, worst on (my very limited) record bad, worse than Alita Battle Angel bad. 

And God knows how much fun I made of Alita for doing so badly in Latin America. 

God may not care - but the Shay knows.

And do you even watch anything down there - except for Latin soap-operas?

PS: The Chinese are inherently racist, I wouldn't expect many of them to enjoy Arabian-cast Aladdin. Nothing of value is lost here.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

God may not care - but the Shay knows.

And do you even watch anything down there - except for Latin soap-operas?

PS: The Chinese are inherently racist, I wouldn't expect many of them to enjoy Arabian-cast Aladdin. Nothing of value is lost here.

dude, the second part of your post is pretty ignorant, and I'd appreciate it if you could remove that bit :)

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

dude, the second part of your post is pretty ignorant, and I'd appreciate it if you could remove that bit :)

I will remove it - because it costs me nothing, but first I want to know:

1 why do you deny it - it is a very well known cultural fact

2 why does it offend you? it is not offensive at all

Are you a Chinese Canadian or something? :) Because that would explain your reaction.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

I will remove it - because it costs me nothing, but first I want to know:

1 why do you deny it - it is a very well known cultural fact

2 why does it offend you? it is not offensive at all

Are you a Chinese Canadian or something? :) Because that would explain your reaction.

no no, the second part about Latin America soap operas. It just seems like a cultural stereotype you're trying to perpetuate. I'm not Chinese Canadian, or latin-Canadian, and I'm not personally offended I just don't want you to offend anyone else on this board

• Like 1

China not hyped up for Aladdin doesn’t have anything to do with race. I mean Black Panther did respectable bank there. 

Live action musicals however tend to be hit or miss there and the only reason BATB did so well was I think the campaign there.

• Like 2

There's a lot of race issues going on in China right now, and I'll be the first to condemn them. But saying that they are the reason that Aladdin might/will(?) flop there is grossly oversimplifying it, and to me represents a failure to look at or study Chinese box office patterns, and instead try to pin a film's performance on a real-world issue. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

no no, the second part about Latin America soap operas. It just seems like a cultural stereotype you're trying to perpetuate. I'm not Chinese Canadian, or latin-Canadian, and I'm not personally offended I just don't want you to offend anyone else on this board

That is not offensive. They DO watch Latin soap operas in Latin America, period. It IS offensive to try denying it.

The question is: what else do they watch in Chile? We've been told they do not watch good movies like Alita and Aladdin - so, what do they watch? Endgame??

Also - no one really cares about the BO of small cheap countries, like mine (Bulgaria) and his. They make like half a million bucks even for the biggest movies out there.

PS: Of course - there might be many other reasons for Aladdin failing in China. I can't access their BO data - so I'm just mentioning a possible reason I am aware of.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, shayhiri said:

That is not offensive. They DO watch Latin soap operas in Latin America, period. It IS offensive to try denying it.

The question is: what else do they watch in Chile? We've been told the do not watch good movies like Alita and Aladdin - so, what do they watch? Endgame??

Also - no one really cares about the BO of small cheap countries, like mine (Bulgaria) and his. They make like a half a million bucks even for the biggest movies out there.

Just because you love a movie doesn’t mean it’s universally loved and everyone is wrong. Same for hate. 

It’s different strokes for different folks as well as different circumstances. I expect Aladdin to be a monster in Europe and Japan, solid numbers in LA and Asia and around $250M DOM.

29 minutes ago, Royce said:

Ironic since the original Aladdin folk tale was set in China and Aladdin himself was Chinese

Well, Folk Tale is something passed on between people traditionally and generally orally.

But that story was written by a French man, who in turn heard it from Syrian man. How does that make it a Folk tale?

Except for a fact that Aladdin was poor Chinese, everything else about his story is so middle-east. 

55 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I don’t know to me it seems like Aladdin is getting lost in the shuffle. Don’t see much buzz or even ads for it.

Aladdin IS the shuffle!

Since Endgame passed away long ago - what bigger movie is there? Lion King comes in two months - that's a loong time to play! :)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Aladdin IS the shuffle!

Since Endgame passed away long ago - what bigger movie is there? Lion King comes in two months - that's a loong time to play! :)

Both Spider-Man: Far From Home and Toy Story 4.

• Thanks 1