Impact

Best Score-2015 predictions!

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

A score really should be judged within the context of the movie it represents

That's true-but I was just saying that it made more sense to say hear it on here.

But yeah-for example would Star Wars desert theme work on a film set on the seas?

Would Up score work on a epic adventure film? Would LOTR work on Up?

Nope.

On 21/1/2016 at 6:45 PM, Impact said:

Would you guys think Hateful 8 winning is more of because its deserving or because it is more of a achievement win? (or both)

Because its an achievement win, undoubtely.

Otherwise, I grant you he wouldn't even be nommed for Hateful Eight. Anyways, he should already have at least two Oscars, one for The Mission in 1986 and the other one two years later for Cinema Paradiso. He wasn't even nommed for that one, though.

On 15/1/2016 at 3:02 AM, tribefan695 said:

A score really should be judged within the context of the movie it represents

Yes... and no.

A score should perfectly fit the movie, but then there's still so much room to improve over the film. There are powerful scores that can live beyond the movie they were created for. And those are the scores that should be awarded. Not only the best serviceable score. That's why I don't like nominations and awards for scores like The Social Network or Babel. Those scores will be quickly forgotten.

I forget who said it but I remember a certain composer saying they didn't do their job right if their music was the most memorable thing about a movie. The Grammys' Best Score award is for independently proficient movie scores, but a film centric body like the Academy should judge them based on how well they support the movie, just like every other category being judged.

My problem with The Social Network's score is it DOESN'T fit the movie that well. There's not much flow to it, everything is a self contained 3-4 minute track with little connection to one another. It works better if you think of it as a NIN album. I thought Gone Girl worked better as a true film score.

I agree that Academy should at first look for scores that fit perfectly to the film they support. But if they only take this into account, there would be a lot of scores awardable.

Academy awards are also about individual achievements. If we only look at global quality, we should see the same movies nommed in each category, because best films are the sum of great achievements in each category. But great achievements are not best individual works.

There are a lot of examples of great scores attached to not so great films. And those scores should deserve a nomination even if they surpass a film quality wise. Obvious examples: The Village, Lady in the Water, Airbender, Legends of the fall, Dragonheart, Alexander, Angels & Demons, First Knight, The Phantom Menace, Far and Away, The good german, Independence Day, New Moon...

I would want John Williams to win obviously, but my guess is that

CAROL

is gonna take the crown this year.

1. Carol

2. Star Wars

3. The Hateful Eight

4. Bridge of Spies

5. Sicario

People are underestimating TFA's score by a wide margin, under the notion that the themes weren't noticeable on first viewing. But in my opinion, it's one of his best scores yet.

It's just that the themes are less "in your face" than usual, that's all.